1. #1
    The Patient Hoopajoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The Boonies!
    Posts
    299

    Minecraft Noobie

    So I just bought Minecraft last week and played around without mods for a while. Now I want to try some mods out but I don't know which ones I should get. I setup "Forge" (still not 100% clear on what it is, I just know that it will let me install the mods).

    I'm still not entirely clear on how to install mods but I heard they come with instructions.

  2. #2
    in my experience, mods tend to have a "readme" file. I think it's important to check that file and RTFM.

  3. #3
    The Patient Hoopajoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The Boonies!
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    in my experience, mods tend to have a "readme" file. I think it's important to check that file and RTFM.
    Are there any mods you would recommend?

  4. #4
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopajoo View Post
    Are there any mods you would recommend?
    Several: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1-6-4-Mod-List


    Forge is a user created Mod API that allows mods to not have to overwite Minecraft Base code in order to work. This is especially helpful if you plan to use multiple mods.

    It also extends what Minecraft can do on it's own.

  5. #5
    Treecapitator

    Hate chopping those darn trees down and the top is still there.

  6. #6
    I love technical mods: would recommend to start playing with the big names, such as Applied Energistics, Thermal Expansion, Buildcraft, Industrial Craft 2, Forestry.

  7. #7
    Look up direwolf20 Youtube videos. He does mod tutorial videos as well as lets play videos that show him playing on a server with others. They will show you things you can do with mods and give you an idea of which ones you should get.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/direwolf20

    Fuzzie's thread, mentioned above, will show you where to get those mods. Its much easier now. Once you have Forge installed you just drop the mods in the mods folder. I would recommend Fuzzie's config folder too, it will insure the mods all play nice with each other. You don't have to get all the mods on the thread. NotEnoughItems and a map one are the basics to start with.
    Last edited by OldFarmerJoe; 2013-12-09 at 08:20 AM.

  8. #8
    Mechagnome Zenora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In a van near you!
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopajoo View Post
    So I just bought Minecraft last week and played around without mods for a while. Now I want to try some mods out but I don't know which ones I should get. I setup "Forge" (still not 100% clear on what it is, I just know that it will let me install the mods).

    I'm still not entirely clear on how to install mods but I heard they come with instructions.
    try downloading feed the beast, it is a complete modpack and you can choose different ones aswell

  9. #9
    thank you for asking this. Is this PC or console version or both?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by abudan View Post
    thank you for asking this. Is this PC or console version or both?
    PC version. I've never actually looked at the console version beyond playing the demo on PS3 and even then I didn't like the controls at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •