1. #1

    The things that could be, but never were or are yet to be.

    Odd title, but here we go!

    So looking at the nostalgia threads got me thinking. All these wonderful things that we saw in game. Like say Grim Batol back in Vanilla. You wondered what was behind the gates what were the dragons protecting? Or (my number 1 fucking peev) Uldum quest with the discs that NEVER went anywhere after you went to Tanaris and were told about another item needed to pass the doors.

    http://wowpedia.org/Ruins_of_Uldum

    You had a big gate with a hole in it and some arrows. You spoke to the gate keeper guy and were told you required an additional item to make your discs grant you entry. I was really wanting to see what could become of this place. Wrath came about and we got Ulduar. I had hope that should we find more titan related stuff Uldum would get its due.

    Come Cata Uldum the zone is revealed but the gates to uldum are simply destroyed. Nothing more to it. Fucking REALLY? Who else here had a zone or dungeon or anything (in b4 ashbringer :P) that they felt had so much promise but didnt come to be or when it was released did not live up to expectations. *please dont bash expansions* as this is not what the posts about :P

    For me I was hoping that with the cataclysm we would either get an uldum raid OR a dungeon for uldum along with the zone. So we could have the gates of Uldum as a separate facility which was a small raid or dungeon. We could also have had a bread crumb quest for the discs that might have been un earthed somewhere as a nod to the original quest.

    So what were you waiting a long time for content/quest wise that finally came out and was not what you thought it should be or are STILL waiting for!?

  2. #2
    I personally wouldve like to have seen another water type raid like SSC. In vashjr.

  3. #3
    Scarab Lord Gimlix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands!
    Posts
    4,795
    Well i never really waiting for something, but i remember before cata those things u saw when u flew above things with flight path, like the mountain of Dun Morogh, and i was always thinking, what is below there, i saw npcs there, and always wanted to know what i could do there.

    I miss those things a bit currently, there is nothing to look at and think, i wonder whats there.
    Because everything is revealed.
    » Active MMO-Champion visitor since: 12-12-2012 «
    » Predict Warlords of Draenor to sell 3 Million copies at first day «

    Quote Originally Posted by bloodkin View Post
    no king rules forever, but WoW is a stubborn bastard.

  4. #4
    The old kingdom in Northrend comes to mind, I imagined it being a huge labyrinth underneath Northrend with massive caves and cities, an entire zone, underground (so no flying), the instances there are just meh compared to what it could have been, also, the crypts underneath Karazhan, it's really dissapointing that they never done anything with it . I also dislike the cata overhaul on alot of zones, but the plaguelands specifically, it used to be a deserted and hostile zone, if you see how much presence the living have there nowadays, the plaguelands are not deadly anymore.

  5. #5
    If I really think about it, Uldum itself was the best reveal as I always wondered what that gate lead to ever since the first year of Classic. I completed Loremaster pre Cata as a way of saying farewell to the game I had come to love for a long time before it changed forever, so I saw that gate one last time.

    It really felt like there should be a zone there, and many many years later, boom, we got Uldum.

    The Grim Batol area was meh, but I did wonder about it and also wandered in there a few times from classic-wrath.

    The other obvious thing would be the portals that the world dragon's used to guard.

    As for raids, nothing beats AQ 40 when it was current content, period, especially when your guild's fighting over bug mounts (haha).

    Ulduar does come close to AQ 40, there's never been a fight as epic as C'Thun, although H LK, H Rag, and H Deathwing come close, the main issues were I was sick of ICC/H LK and DW.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    If I really think about it, Uldum itself was the best reveal as I always wondered what that gate lead to ever since the first year of Classic. I completed Loremaster pre Cata as a way of saying farewell to the game I had come to love for a long time before it changed forever, so I saw that gate one last time.

    It really felt like there should be a zone there, and many many years later, boom, we got Uldum.

    The Grim Batol area was meh, but I did wonder about it and also wandered in there a few times from classic-wrath.

    The other obvious thing would be the portals that the world dragon's used to guard.

    As for raids, nothing beats AQ 40 when it was current content, period, especially when your guild's fighting over bug mounts (haha).

    Ulduar does come close to AQ 40, there's never been a fight as epic as C'Thun, although H LK, H Rag, and H Deathwing come close, the main issues were I was sick of ICC/H LK and DW.
    Yeh I enjoyed the idea of the zone of uldum but wished the gates and specifically the dics had more to play there.

    AQ40 was handled rather well at the time, the zone was brilliant and I enjoyed both raids. As for the green dragons I think one of them is considered alive still? while the other 3 are now dead. The portals they guard were entrance ways to the emerald dream supposedly.

    I think the old kingdom in wrath is another huge let down. Doing that instance seeing all the other art assets (the webs leading to huge doors) and then no raid for to follow up on it. Yogg being moved to ulduar is part of that, as originally IIRC the old kingdom was due a raid.

  7. #7
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vineland, Cumberland, NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,605
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    You had a big gate with a hole in it and some arrows. You spoke to the gate keeper guy and were told you required an additional item to make your discs grant you entry. I was really wanting to see what could become of this place. Wrath came about and we got Ulduar.
    You mean Cataclysm. I mean we finally see Uldum, so I can understand that the ruins would still be there and it's watchers still operating as they needed to be. Perhaps the zone of Uldum is a retcon and they forgot to remove that.

    On another note, I could go on for days about what they havent put in. Some are quite recent:
    Koltira, where are you?
    Lilian Voss?
    What exactly happened to the Shady Rest Inn?
    Perhaps that is just meant to be a dead end on purpose? W
    hat happens to Neptulon after the Throne of Tides? Will we ever go to Abyssal Maw? We've been to the Firelands, Deepholm, and a small part of Skywall.
    Where is Turalyon? Alleria? Where is the remainder of the Alliance expedition from the Second War? Honor Hold and Allerian Stronghold are just bits. Danath and Khadgar are in game, but the former two are no where to be found, yet their son is.
    Do the Windrunner sisters know of eachothers' fate? Do Sylvanas and Vereesa know Alleria is missing? Do they know of their Nephew? Does Alleria know Sylvanas is a banshee? Do Sylvanas and Alleria know Vereesa has kids?
    What is the status of Kul'Tiras? We've seen Tol'Barad, but not the main island. It is the only one of Human Kingdoms not in game. Lordaeron, Stormwind (Azeroth), Alterac, Stromgarde, Gilneas, Dalaran are the others.
    Where are Kezan? Undermine?
    Where are Zandalar? Is there any trolls still alive on that island? We've killed them a few times over by now.
    What of Azshara?
    What of the other Old Gods?
    Where are the Titans?
    . . .

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    You mean Cataclysm. I mean we finally see Uldum, so I can understand that the ruins would still be there and it's watchers still operating as they needed to be. Perhaps the zone of Uldum is a retcon and they forgot to remove that.

    On another note, I could go on for days about what they havent put in. Some are quite recent:
    Koltira, where are you?
    Lilian Voss?
    What exactly happened to the Shady Rest Inn?
    Perhaps that is just meant to be a dead end on purpose? W
    hat happens to Neptulon after the Throne of Tides? Will we ever go to Abyssal Maw? We've been to the Firelands, Deepholm, and a small part of Skywall.
    Where is Turalyon? Alleria? Where is the remainder of the Alliance expedition from the Second War? Honor Hold and Allerian Stronghold are just bits. Danath and Khadgar are in game, but the former two are no where to be found, yet their son is.
    Do the Windrunner sisters know of eachothers' fate? Do Sylvanas and Vereesa know Alleria is missing? Do they know of their Nephew? Does Alleria know Sylvanas is a banshee? Do Sylvanas and Alleria know Vereesa has kids?
    What is the status of Kul'Tiras? We've seen Tol'Barad, but not the main island. It is the only one of Human Kingdoms not in game. Lordaeron, Stormwind (Azeroth), Alterac, Stromgarde, Gilneas, Dalaran are the others.
    Where are Kezan? Undermine?
    Where are Zandalar? Is there any trolls still alive on that island? We've killed them a few times over by now.
    What of Azshara?
    What of the other Old Gods?
    Where are the Titans?
    . . .
    No I meant Wrath.

    We had Uldum revealed in Classic it was just a door (huge fucking gate) and we had a quest that said you need an additional item to allow entry. Wrath came along and Ulduar was revealed. A sister complex or so we thought. When Cata was announced I was hoping Uldum would have a follow up quest for the discs. It was my most loved zone as it had some fun quests (rolling ball of death against gnomes anyone?) but I did feel that the quest for the discs perhaps should have been brought in as a bread crumb or at least a nod to it somewhere. I also felt that gate area could have had a small instance or even a raid for it.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    Come Cata Uldum the zone is revealed but the gates to uldum are simply destroyed. Nothing more to it. Fucking REALLY? Who else here had a zone or dungeon or anything (in b4 ashbringer :P) that they felt had so much promise but didnt come to be or when it was released did not live up to expectations. *please dont bash expansions* as this is not what the posts about :P
    I agree, Uldum had a sense of mystery to it during vanilla. There were Earth Giants protecting it from the outside and you could see that something was trying to get out as the doors were partially broken. I honestly expected Uldum to be something cool.

    Then when Uldum was revealed in Cataclysm it had literally NOTHING to do with the vanilla storyline. The gates and the Earth Giants had zero connection to the implemented Uldum zone. Besides, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Uldum is probably the most random, horrible and disconnected zone in all the game. Well, in my opinion at least. It. JUST. SUCKS. And then they even have the balls to let the Uldum zone have 3 dungeons! Ugh.

    It could've been so much cooler...

  10. #10
    Fluffy Kitten Rivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    13,833
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    What exactly happened to the Shady Rest Inn?
    That quest line was actually finished. Might've been in 2.3 when they updated the zone, but it's still available now if you want to go check it out.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    Yeh I enjoyed the idea of the zone of uldum but wished the gates and specifically the dics had more to play there.

    AQ40 was handled rather well at the time, the zone was brilliant and I enjoyed both raids. As for the green dragons I think one of them is considered alive still? while the other 3 are now dead. The portals they guard were entrance ways to the emerald dream supposedly.

    I think the old kingdom in wrath is another huge let down. Doing that instance seeing all the other art assets (the webs leading to huge doors) and then no raid for to follow up on it. Yogg being moved to ulduar is part of that, as originally IIRC the old kingdom was due a raid.
    I disliked everything about WoTLK except H LK and Ulduar, and I had cleared the first boss of Naxx 40 the first night our guild was in there before having to afk for a few months, although most of it was still easier than C'Thun. Algalon and his quest chain was simply amazing, including the part in Dalaran. Although for the very first time in the game I actually cared about lore, when I discovered Archavon's Log I could not stop reading it, I was enthralled with it.

    Something to think about, Sunwell was originally supposed to be tier 10 but was revamped for TBC since people were clearing content too fast. So, imagine doing everything Sunwell related (at least the instance, not sure about the unlocking event) during Wrath, that would be a nice change of scenery.

    I will state that Wrath's story was really nice even though I skipped quest text as quick as I could (the only exception is MoP), but even I understood it's quality was high in how everything progressed and climaxed in relation to The Lich King.

    MoP was the very first time I actually played the game to level (and take my time leveling), experience quests, and enjoy the zones. I actually didn't raid at all, which is unheard-of for me.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2013-09-27 at 03:06 AM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    I disliked everything about WoTLK except H LK and Ulduar, and I had cleared the first boss of Naxx 40 the first night our guild was in there before having to afk for a few months, although most of it was still easier than C'Thun. Algalon and his quest chain was simply amazing, including the part in Dalaran. Although for the very first time in the game I actually cared about lore, when I discovered Archavon's Log I could not stop reading it, I was enthralled with it.

    Something to think about, Sunwell was originally supposed to be tier 10 but was revamped for TBC since people were clearing content too fast. So, imagine doing everything Sunwell related (at least the instance, not sure about the unlocking event) during Wrath, that would be a nice change of scenery.

    I will state that Wrath's story was really nice even though I skipped quest text as quick as I could (the only exception is MoP), but even I understood it's quality was high in how everything progressed and climaxed in relation to The Lich King.

    MoP was the very first time I actually played the game to level (and take my time leveling), experience quests, and enjoy the zones. I actually didn't raid at all, which is unheard-of for me.
    Yeh The ulduar related stuff was awesome. Thats why I was thinking the Uldum complex would be immense. I really do think that the gate area deserved a complex with some earthen and a story line of it being damaged and under siege, have the rest of the uldum zone as it is but at least have a nod to that lovely gate back in vanilla!

    Yeh sunwell was put in as BT was cleared faster than they imagined. Although kael hints at who his true master was after killing him and in all honesty i think SWP was always supposed to be released for TBC.

    I was saddened to see we never got the Old kingdom raid as that area was immense.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    I agree, Uldum had a sense of mystery to it during vanilla. There were Earth Giants protecting it from the outside and you could see that something was trying to get out as the doors were partially broken. I honestly expected Uldum to be something cool.

    Then when Uldum was revealed in Cataclysm it had literally NOTHING to do with the vanilla storyline. The gates and the Earth Giants had zero connection to the implemented Uldum zone. Besides, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Uldum is probably the most random, horrible and disconnected zone in all the game. Well, in my opinion at least. It. JUST. SUCKS. And then they even have the balls to let the Uldum zone have 3 dungeons! Ugh.

    It could've been so much cooler...
    Yeh, if they had a quest where you find the discs and then run inside the destroyed gate complex and find a control console and it leads to a new 5man dungeon or something where you find a damaged facility and have to race against time to stop the place from being destroyed.

  13. #13
    Ahn Qiraj was actually once a whole outdoor zone and I don't mean the Ruins of Ahn Qiraj zone they added in Cataclysm which is just a copy/paste of AQ20. This zone was completely unique and had existed beyond the Gates of Ahn Qiraj right up until Cataclsym when it was replaced with an outdoor version of AQ20. The really sad thing is that the place looked awesome - sandblown temples in the desert, strange obelisks, silithid breeding grounds etc etc.

    I believe the original plan was for the gates of AQ to lead to this special quest zone but for some reason they ditched it and made it into two raids instead. You can see the original zone on youtube and stuff.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2013-09-27 at 12:30 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •