Gemming viability

*Arcane*

Found myself getting some oddish results on simcraft and mrrobot, althought havent actually put anything to the test yet in-game, however... I wanted to ask the opinion of more experienced mages from across the board, my question to you is:

When if ever would you think it might be a viable choice to spec for straight intellect in red sockets and intellect + mastery in yellow? I'm pushing on 91% mastery now with raid buffs and I was just wondering if the spell power/intellect gains might suffice over the secondary stat.

Your views please!

Nez
    Last edited by Nezek; 2013-09-26 at 04:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could be possible, given that mastery gets lower in relative value as it gets higher. Then again, mastery will be undervalued in sims because of the fights we play arcane, we'll be at a higher average mana than what a patchwerk sim would have due to the inflation in execute time going to Nether Tempest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

All the cleave aswell, but still, it's not actually that valuable, I mean mage armor alone works out around what 8% extra damage at 100% mana, surely pure int gems might have a place for us again? Right? :/

Deleted
    The more gear you get, the less viable it'll be to gem straight intellect. Once you hit the line of gemming pure mastery, you shouldn't have to gem intellect again unless Blizzard does some changes to scaling.

Sims should at least tell you that 2 mastery > 1 int

(And yeah, 2 mastery >>> 1 int at cleave, so you have to consider that aswell)

Basically you use non Hit items and gem Expertise+mastery/crit for red gemslots cause you get more secondary stats that way and after some time 2x worst secondary stat is more worth than 1x intellect.