Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    There's a clear difference between a retcon, a change and story progression. And "accept" retcons? Grow up, it's not a matter of acceptable, it's a matter og realizing that goes on.
    Yes, clearly I need to grow up because I can stand by an opinion and not rabidly defend something regardless of what changes in it.

I feel the story changes were without base, went against the current lore, etc. And in general some of them were indeed retcons. So what, you're going to pretend WoW isn't full of them?

I don't follow WoW for the story anymore, I haven't for years and it's got to the point I didn't even follow why we are doing X in each patch anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

I've been wanting to change my shaman to undead for a long time.

Deleted
    I don't care what race gets to be shamans. As long as i get my gnome shamans. :-p

Quote Originally Posted by Cooleoj View Post
    What are your thoughts? :P
    My thought is no. My thought is also "no" for blood elf druids and any class that involves female blood elves unrealistically being able to wield two handed swords/axes.

I'm down for tauren rogues and gnome hunters, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Megingjord View Post
    I don't care what race gets to be shamans. As long as i get my gnome shamans. :-p
    That would be awesome

10+ Year Old Account
    They got to the point where tmho it's mostly a commercial reason why x race can be linked to x class. They will always make a lore adjustment that explains as to why.

However instead of adding classes/specs to the matrix and avoid that any race can be played by any class, I'd rather see them trim down. Horde has shamans, alliance paladins. Get rid of blood elves altogether. Will never happen, but we can only dream.

This guy worded it in the best way possible ...

Lore serves gameplay. Gameplay does not serve lore.

Yes.

1.) Are there (a lot) race/class combos that dont make any/few sense? Yes there are
    2.) Would new race/class combos be justified? Entirely up to blizz. If it can be turned into new money (which is obvious would be the case with race switches), there's really no reason blizz wouldn't implement it.
    3.) Any reason to not have them? Honestly, some people will get butthurt about lore-rape and w/e, and I'll admit back then I belonged to those, but well, just dont play these comps and look the other way when you encounter them. What's the point raging over them? Enjoy the game, wether it is a new combination you always wanted, or sticking to those that make sense for yourself.
    Why ruin it for others by complaining when you can just stick to your ideal? Ruining your gaming experience? Who are we kidding? Gnomes themselves contribute towards that from day one! Infants with inflated heads should be challenged to actually live and walk, but fighting as death knights/tanks? Really?
    4.) Reasons to have this comb? Well, duh. People would play it of course (and likely pay for race changes even). Blood elves for whatever reason are among the most popular races ingame. If teens and imature adults prefer running around as barbie and ken in wolfpelts, let them, maybe we'll get a stronger shaman representation/lobby, and more attention that way.
    5.) What about lore? Aside from blizzard's numerous lore-twisting for the cata combs, shamanism basically requires reverence for ancestors and elements. Blood elves worship power, so bending the elements to their will would fit 100%, and in rememberance of their slaughtered kind named themselves acordingly, so what else do we need? They've been allied with the horde for a while now, so yeah, some of that rubbing of to them wouldn't be far fetched. Orcs/trolls/taurens teaching them? There's been worse.
    They've been ranger's/hunters for generations and with that have a link to nature, and likely are the most powerful casters among all playable races and should have the potential to turn druid, like their cousins the night elves. Sooo hunters => druids => shamans, not that far fetched.

Basically, argueing about reasons about yay/nay is pointless imo. At least in here. If blizz is confronted with the suggestion enough on twitter/officials though, it may happen. Makes more sense about what it could look like (blood elf shaman lore that is), if it came to be.

And to get in to that forsaken/hunter thing:
    Yes, there was nathanos blightcaller, but if we remember his pets... it were undead hounds.
    There was also that quest in howling fjord with that undead kennelmaster:
    Normal dogs won't come anywhere near me nowadays. I was devastated when I found out... I used to love the beasts.

Plaguehounds make for a fine substitute, however. They're not quite as... easy on the eyes. But then again, neither am I! - Pontius
    So basically undead are shunned by living beasts. Plaguehounds are tameable now, but aside from that, and few others, like bats...it would have to be expected that undeads be uncapable of raising and caring for most pets.
    Last edited by Omanley; 2013-09-27 at 07:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

Deleted
    How about no, too many belfs as is.

The tolerance and reason in this post IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

Anyways, I hate these thread honestly, they always become infested with half-assed lore, which is mostly outdated, some guy always says something about Sunwalkers being silly, then that debate takes over for a while, before it returns to the original subject... Sigh...

To summarize; If the Blood Elves were interested in learning about Shamanism and the Elemenst, and found a conduit and a teacher race - then yes, they could become shamans.

Oh and please, move on with the "duhh new cata race-class combos makes no sense" rambling, the horse is dead, stop beating it.
    ^ Experienced forum-goer speaks the truth.

There are two reasonable options, given the bending of lore in race/class combos: (1) change the racials to have less performance impact and keep lore-centric race/class combos or (2) allow all race/class combos.

Deleted
    No? /Ten chars

If goblins can be shaman then I don't see why not.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Sure but they'd have to not really be shaman just like tauren paladins arn't really paladins.
    Battlemage maybe?

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    While you aren't wrong, you aren't right either. There are some issues between comparing the Ranger to the playable Hunter class.
    It's somehow due to game mechanics, forcing to the same name different forms of combat/magic schools that while different, have indeed a common theme; the Sunwalkers are a good example, they don't worship the Light in the same way of the paladins, they worship the Sun (An'she) and the fact that they are called Paladins in-game and have the same, precise skills from level 1 to level 90 is indeed nothing more than game mechanics.

Another, maybe even better example, are the Troll Warlocks: their magic should be tied to dark voodoo and other similar kind of black magic (the kind of magic used by Zalazane and the Fakkari, for example) and not tied to the demons, the shadow and the chaotic fire of the Burning Legion.

On topic:

Blood elf shamans are not utterly impossible, but is just terrible as a general idea. Blood elf druids? We saw one in Botanica, that would make a bit of sense (even if hardly the blood elves as a people have any interest in mass-learning druidism) but blood elf shamans is just.....meh. Not even the over-naturalist night elves had the slightest need in their entire history to embrace the chaotic ways of shamanism, and the blood elves have an even lesser connection with nature/elements (they can be easily considered in par with humans in this).
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeothecat View Post
    If goblins can be shaman then I don't see why not.
    4 horde shaman races vs 2 alliance. Sounds fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Blood elf shamans are not utterly impossible, but is just terrible as a general idea. Blood elf druids? We saw one in Botanica, that would make a bit of sense (even if hardly the blood elves as a people have any interest in mass-learning druidism) but blood elf shamans is just.....meh.
    1-2 blood elf druids does not make for a reasonable argument for playable blood elf druids, though. They are an anomaly in lore. The lore surrounding the Botanica ALSO indicates this--the blood elves in the Botanica gained new powers through their experimentation on local fauna. The fact that we DEFEATED the elves in the Botanica and that we have not heard about blood elf druids since should indicate to players that we should consider them to be an aberration.

What I'd like to see instead for blood and night elves is a new Ranger class, or possibly a 4th hunter spec that is petless and uses a combination of melee/ranged abilities. But shamans/druids? No. The only way I see this coming about is if Blizzard unlocks all class/race combos in the game, something I am not *necessarily* against but we are throwing all lore out the window at that point if such a change came about.

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    4 horde shaman races vs 2 alliance. Sounds fair.
    3 Alliance paladins vs 2 Horde. Shamans are a natural Horde race just like paladins are for Alliance but Paladins are one of, if not the most played class so adding another race Paladin accessible for the Alliance would not help this situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    1-2 blood elf druids does not make for a reasonable argument for playable blood elf druids, though. They are an anomaly in lore. The lore surrounding the Botanica ALSO indicates this--the blood elves in the Botanica gained new powers through their experimentation on local fauna. The fact that we DEFEATED the elves in the Botanica and that we have not heard about blood elf druids since should indicate to players that we should consider them to be an aberration.
    I used the term a bit purposely, I'm absolutely sure that lorewise "common" blood elves and druidism have no connection to one another, and indeed I never wanted to make an argument for bring blood elf druids as a playable class.

The point was, since we're talking of something pretty extreme like blood elf shamans, in comparison, even blood elf druids would make more sense; which speaks by itself how damn sense would have such an awful race-class combination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely not. Shamanism is nothing like the Thalassian (High/Blood) Elves at all.
    Sadly, if they'd be anything of a new class it would be Druid even though it makes no sense whatsoever either.
    If you wonder why Druid makes little sense, it is because inability to adapt to Druidism 8.000 years ago ended up with the High Elves being banished from their homeland. As for Shamanism, it's a primitive and primal practice - I could say the same for Monks but that's a personal disagreement with Blizzard for certain race/class combos.

For what I've seen about other questioned combinations, being a Hunter as an Undead isn't really that logical - considering from a lore perspective Undead would have companions that suit them, such as plagued dogs, spiders and other vile creatures. Gnome Priests also had an explanation for them. If anything makes no sense, it's Goblin Shamans/Priests.

-Credit to Mythriz for the signature and avatar!

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not? I mean, they've already added a bunch of stupid shit that doesn't work with the lore already.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    Since when does a Undead Hunter work lorewise? Or a Gnome Priest?
    The undead faction leader is a hunter (although people love to argue endlessly about how she's actually a Dark Ranger and not a hunter at all, which is odd considering that hunters get Black Arrow), so it's not that strange. One of the more infamous undead NPCs from vanilla was also a hunter.

Goblin priests make sense considering that they lived with the dwarves for so long. While gnomes generally aren't very religious, it's hard to argue that priesthood is just nonsense when priest sprout wings of light and resurrect the dead on a daily basis.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.