Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    4 horde shaman races vs 2 alliance. Sounds fair.
    2 horde races can be paladins

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    I used the term a bit purposely, I'm absolutely sure that lorewise "common" blood elves and druidism have no connection to one another, and indeed I never wanted to make an argument for bring blood elf druids as a playable class.

The point was, since we're talking of something pretty extreme like blood elf shamans, in comparison, even blood elf druids would make more sense; which speaks by itself how damn sense would have such an awful race-class combination.
    I figured as much, but I really wanted to drive the point home to other players reading this thread, because a blood elf/x class thread comes up at least once a month if not more. Especially the belf druid threads, lol.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    4 horde shaman races vs 2 alliance. Sounds fair.
    Paladin says hello.

Shaman is a Horde class, Paladin is an Alliance one. They only added them to each other for gameplay reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    anyone can pick up a bow and be a hunter.... and priests be priest doesnt need any specific attunement to anything really other than "omg the light"
    Besides Gnomes, apparently.

To be honest, I find that a lot of the reason why X race cannot be Y class is because it's just been that way for so long, and people would get mad if it changed. No, a Gnome priest doesn't make 100% sense. No, an Undead hunter isn't all that logical either. Still, no one really bats an eye at them. Why should it be different for more conflicting combinations, such as a Draenei warlock? I'm all for having deep, rich lore, yet I don't quite believe that gameplay has to reflect said lore. I've never complained that I can't be a Blood Elf shaman, and I never will, but I personally find the "doesn't make sense" argument to be extremely weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    The undead faction leader is a hunter (although people love to argue endlessly about how she's actually a Dark Ranger and not a hunter at all, which is odd considering that hunters get Black Arrow), so it's not that strange. One of the more infamous undead NPCs from vanilla was also a hunter.

Goblin priests make sense considering that they lived with the dwarves for so long. While gnomes generally aren't very religious, it's hard to argue that priesthood is just nonsense when priest sprout wings of light and resurrect the dead on a daily basis.
    And warlocks get Immolation Aura, an iconic Demon Hunter ability. Do you believe that warlocks are demon hunters? Just because a class has an ability from another class doesn't make it that class.
    Last edited by lopk; 2013-09-27 at 11:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I want worgen shamans/ monks Worgen is my favorite race but their class choices are terrible
    This, why can't worgen be shamans? I don't think it would be too ridiculous, I would roll worgen enhancement shaman in a heartbeat.

FUCK NO!

All this belf fanboism gets on my nerves. And I'm not even Horde.

When did the Horde become Belfs and their ugly friends. Belfs are so anti-horde that even the idea creates a black hole of disgust.

Plus Belfs have no lore based reason whatsoever in the universe to be Shamans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gnome hunters first. I want my pet to be able to carry me around in its mouth like a chew toy.

Lore has a pretty strong influence in class to race decisions.
    Undead can be hunters, for those that remember Vanilla WoW, there was an Undead hunter in East Plaguelands that worked for Sylvanas, can't remember his name but he was trained by the High Elves before dying. Him training new hunters kind of works.
    As for priest Gnomes, those little guys are all about the magic and understanding how it works, no real surprise that they finally figured out how to wield the light.
    Blood Elf shamans, that doesn't have as strong a connection. Some non-magic skilled elves may have gotten in touch with nature through being a hunter, but most Blood Elves skilled in magic usually prefer the 'taste' of arcane magic. That taste for that style magic is another part that influenced the separation of the High Elves and the Night Elves, well that and the High Elves summoning demons and nearly destroying the world in their quest for power.

Quote Originally Posted by Solonar View Post
    Absolutely not. Shamanism is nothing like the Thalassian (High/Blood) Elves at all.
    In what way? Shamanism in a nutshell is about controling the elements (not that different from a mage) and worshipping ancestors. In reverence for their slayed kin, they aptly named themselves "blood elves". If that doesn't show a strong bond to their dead, what does?
    Sadly, if they'd be anything of a new class it would be Druid even though it makes no sense whatsoever either.
    If you wonder why Druid makes little sense, it is because inability to adapt to Druidism 8.000 years ago ended up with the High Elves being banished from their homeland.
    Night elves weren't druids during the shattering either. They onbly learned druidism afterward. After their source of arcane magic dried up when the well of eternity was destroyed, going druid was a evading meassure. The quel'dorei exiled afterwards took with them a vial of the well of eternity to create the sunwell as a replacement. All these 8000 years, they simply continue how they had before, practising magic. They just never "had" to go druids like their night elv cousins, doesn't make them necessarily unable to practise it. Night elves returned to being mages just as easily after all this time, why couldn't blood elves do the same?
    I could imagine lynxes for cat form and dragon hawks for flying form for a start, and the sunfire ability would be like, the perfect match.
    As for Shamanism, it's a primitive and primal practice
    And druidism isn't? Both are nature magic for a start. And goblin shamans dont strike me as primitive either, with their oil platform totems. The elements themselves are primitive and chaotic entities, doesn't mean the shamans using their powers are. And rituals to commune with ancestors are up to the individual race in terms of "primitivity".
    For what I've seen about other questioned combinations, being a Hunter as an Undead isn't really that logical - considering from a lore perspective Undead would have companions that suit them, such as plagued dogs, spiders and other vile creatures. Gnome Priests also had an explanation for them. If anything makes no sense, it's Goblin Shamans/Priests.
    The only companions to undead we've seen lore-wise were undead/demon dogs (nathanos blight caller, kennelmaster pontius). As for bats, they were domesticated for flying, not befriended in a hunter-like way. The dead are food for the living. A living dead goes against the instincts of a living beast to hang around with.
    (Also, undead hunters in the game are not limited to lore-wise fitting, "dark" species, as they would have to be to justify undead hunters lore-wise).

And yes, silvanas is a ranger, not a hunter. Ranger's have knowledge about the woods but much more shallow than that of a hunter. And after her death, silvanas lost that little connection she had as well, becoming a dark ranger.

Hunters having black arrow is making as much sense as arcane shot from the beginning. Which is to say, none at all. That doesn't make dark rangers or forsaken hunters. Which isn't to say I oppose it. I just want to point out that eventually lore has to make room for conveniency. People do not want to be restricted and but want to try out new stuff. After playing as tauren/night elv only druid for years, people jearned for something new, so blizz had to oblige, that's all there is to it.

Lore's just a excuse for blizz. They bend it at their will when they want to implement something going against it (new cata combinations, rogues using axes), and throw it out as a opposing reason when they do not want pursue some matter of interest among the player base (shamans using swords, race/class combos still unavaiable).
    Last edited by Omanley; 2013-09-28 at 08:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.