[Disc] Help / What to look for

Hey guys, last night we were progressing through protector and norushen heroic, both fights with insane healing requirements and our disc priest was performing a lot lower than our other healers (shaman, druid). We were pushing upwards of 180k to 200k hps and he was having trouble staying above 120k...

Is there something I could look in his logs to check for possible improvements? Only thing I noticed was he was using cascade when we were mostly stacked up - which I just learned that instead he should be using divine star (according to your disc guide)...

Other than that I really just notice a very low usage of shields, like 6 shields in a 6 min fight/wipe... Should he be casting more shields out there?

Another side question, can I post his logs here for ppl to look? Or is this something that will offend you and get me banned? It seems that different class forums deal with this differently (some hate, some don't care) so I wanted to check first.

Thx

Yes please post logs! I'd love to look at them and give some pointers.

Disc should be very strong on both of those fights because of being stacked. Most of his DA generation and burst healing is going to come from DS.

PW: Shield for rapture kicks under lucidity is very helpful for free mana. That's primarily how I use PW: Shield. I can get 2-3 off during a meta proc.

It might be a gearing issue as well. If you're wiping due to lack of healing (and it is heroic), he should be able to keep up with the other two on stacked encounters. Even with the powerhouse HR and Glyph of Efflo, DS is still quite powerful. I don't think he'd be sniped.

Ok here are 3 logs of our better attempts with him healing:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/p...?s=6535&e=6738
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/p...?s=6535&e=6738
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/p...?s=7525&e=7758

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Cryx/advanced
    He logged off in his dps gear now so even gems and shit won't show what he was using at that time. I know that he was using the dps meta, not the healing one... Not sure how op the healing one is.. Anyways, appreciate if you guys can see any glaring things like buff uptimes and whatnot. I talked to him and he's okay with me posting here for help.

On a side note, we are also not sure why his simcraft dps is so much lower than ours while in similar gear, i.e. hes simming at 206k dps with almost 550 ilvl, my boomie is similar ilvl and is simming almost 260k dps... Not sure why such a difference at a simcraft level... He is performing close to his simming on the fights but seems too low compared to others, maybe hes got incorrect reforge pri?
    Last edited by land; 2013-09-27 at 10:15 PM.

At a quick glance, he could Atonement more, PW:S a LOT more(6 times in a fight?), and cast Archangel more often.

Deleted
    Without being able to look at his gear, it's quite difficult to determine why he falls behind. Since he's not spamming atonement (which he should), he's probably running with way too much spirit, which in turn hurts his throughput.

Although I have to say, he'll hardly see the light against both a shaman and a druid. Have you considered two-healing?

Quote Originally Posted by Selesnya View Post
    Without being able to look at his gear, it's quite difficult to determine why he falls behind. Since he's not spamming atonement (which he should), he's probably running with way too much spirit, which in turn hurts his throughput.

Although I have to say, he'll hardly see the light against both a shaman and a druid. Have you considered two-healing?
    I out heal our shaman and druid. That's not the issue.

I did 190k (or 220k if you exclude the time I was down) HPS on H Norushen by literally using 3 things: Atonement, Divine Star, PoM

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=14363&e=14772

The only reason I can see him doing low HPS is if he uses half his globals or something, Disc is a joke.
    Last edited by Dorfie; 2013-09-28 at 04:14 AM.

Are you sending him down first? He should be the first healer so he can utilize atonement effectively to deal great damage and HPS. You should obv be stacked, he should spec divine star, and then use PoM on CD, preferably with the T15 2 piece still equipped if he has upgraded heroic pieces.

72% activity time is really hurting him too. He should always be casting something. Just standing around is bad for HPS.

Quote Originally Posted by discpreist View Post
    72% activity time is really hurting him too. He should always be casting something. Just standing around is bad for HPS.
    Disc active time is always lower because bubbles don't count as activity, among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevkul View Post
    Disc active time is always lower because bubbles don't count as activity, among other things.
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=12581&e=13152

I have 99.7% activity and I cast 32 shields?

Not the kind of shields he meant, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=12581&e=13152

I have 99.7% activity and I cast 32 shields?
    You also barely casted Spirit Shell. Ever. In any fight. Which happens to be the culprit of low active time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevkul View Post
    You also barely casted Spirit Shell. Ever. In any fight. Which happens to be the culprit of low active time.
    But I did worldoflogs com/reports/rt-97yfd5visle3rdas/details/27/?s=1554&e=1983 and you can see I cast Spirit Shell 4 times in 4 Min and as you can see 97% activity time. Granted only 13 PW:S but we three heal and it wasn't really needed. He really needs to be looking at what this guy is doing during his attempts.

Edit: meant to say minutes
    Last edited by discpreist; 2013-09-29 at 11:03 PM.

Casting Spirit Shell 4 times in 4 sec means you cast a PoH and didn't even hit all 5 potential targets.

Your post takes nothing away from the point that using Spirit Shell reduces the active time shown on WoL (to be more precise the refreshing of absorbs is what causes it).
    You can still show high active time there with using Spirit Shell, but you can also reduce the active time shown by using Spirit Shell in a certain way (which is still viable).
    Those two points don't oppose each other even if it might seem like they do on first glance.

Doing this from my phone, but quick points.

Glyph penance, still no reason to remove it.
    Stack and move on points via raid markers - assuming you do so, he should use div star.
    Drop pi for tof - people drop low often enough along with tons of adds for high uptime.

Spirit shell is a raid cd for perceived incoming damage or for 4p t16stats. It's value is
    Limited when there is constant incoming damage - Pom/poh/ds do the job for throughput.
    Essentially, use it to prime a double dps purification.

Without seeing his gear setup, I can't comment there, but with a 7 min hard enrage and a pretty
    Simple stack and heal method, I'd expect no mana issues, have him load crit and drop spirit for
    Mastery.

Judging by log, you're at 1.4mil raid dps, iirc you need roughly 2mil to meet the timer. On your enrage kills, I can't even see him using sufficient atonement to bring dps. Have him play shadow with div star.

Sorry for the god awful formatting.
    Last edited by Smight; 2013-09-29 at 09:00 PM.