Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Yeah, clearly the problem is on my end.

Anyway...

I think I favor clinical, peer reviewed journals over what you personally find hard to believe.
    I think you misunderstood the journal to be honest. The circumstances seam to be specific cases with extraneous factors...but anyway.

Also, if you are going to bold my quotes, then do all the relevant parts.

Please explain, in detail, how a calorific soda can not result in slower weight loss than a non-calorific drink. Really. When you quote please do so correctly and in context, like I said, strawman.

I've recently hit my initial goal of over 100 lbs lost since July of last year. My "secrets"? Portion control and increased activity. In other words, I stopped sitting at my computer non-stop, got a job that has me moving around constantly, and instead of pigging out on uber awesome stuffed crust pizza all the time, I ration myself. I'll still get that stuffed crust pizza with extra cheese, chicken, bacon, onions, and mushrooms... but I'll eat it over the course of the week, instead of all in one sitting. Light breakfast (couple of Clif Bars), protein-rich lunch (home-made buffalo chicken sandwiches) and a light dinner, since I just need something in the evenings to keep my metabolism going has helped me drop an extra 15-20 lbs in the last 2 months.

tl;dr: Get smaller servings of food you'll eat, and move around

edit: Oh, and drinking a shit-ton of water, compared to before. 2-3 32oz Powerade bottles per day of water.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    I think you misunderstood the journal to be honest. The circumstances seam to be specific cases with extraneous factors...but anyway.

Also, if you are going to bold my quotes, then do all the relevant parts.

Please explain, in detail, how a calorific soda can not result in slower weight loss than a non-calorific drink. Really. When you quote please do so correctly and in context, like I said, strawman.
    You've got to be shitting me. I surely didn't state that non-diet beverages would have no effect on weight. I'm kind of blown away that I can directly refute your statement, quote the shit, and you still just say, "strawman!". It's OK to admit you're wrong about something. No one will think less of you.

Deleted
    If there's no attached regiment, then avoid crap food and do light exercise when you can (walk, bicycle, stairs etc.).
    Last edited by mmoc859327f960; 2013-09-27 at 11:05 PM.

Deleted
    You've got to be shitting me. I surely didn't state that non-diet beverages would have no effect on weight. I'm kind of blown away that I can directly refute your statement, quote the shit, and you still just say, "strawman!". It's OK to admit you're wrong about something. No one will think less of you.
    I have no problem admitting I'm wrong, when you manage to convince me.
    When you partially quote, partially bolded, out of context statement to try to disprove a statement I never made, then I'll call it a strawman as thats pretty much the definition. Anyway this tit for tat is probably boring everyone else, its definately boring me, so I'll just agree to disagree and leave it there.

I'm having a glass now, so I'll look at the ingredients list - Carbonated Water, caramel color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, natural and artificial flavors, sodium benzoate (preservative), caffeine.

Which of those are you proposing decreases the rate of weight loss or contributes to weight gain? Here's a recent study indicating that drinkers of diet beverages were actually able to cut their caloric intake even deeper than water drinkers. Specifically, they cut desserts to a greater extent, suggesting that the sweeteners already handled their "sweet tooth".
    clearly, diet soda has little or no point to this, it has more to do with cutting the desserts. Just as the article actually mentions. Grabbing a random study that even says it proves nothing, actually proves nothing

Our study does not provide evidence to suggest that a short-term consumption of DBs, compared with water, increases preferences for sweet foods and beverages.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    clearly, diet soda has little or no point to this, it has more to do with cutting the desserts. Just as the article actually mentions. Grabbing a random study that even says it proves nothing, actually proves nothing
    You misread that sentence that you quoted; it indicates that people that there's not evidence for an increased preference for sweets among consumers of diet soda. Again, people that are claiming that diet sodas are somehow magically worse than water from a weight loss perspective are almost certainly full of shit, and have thoroughly demonstrated it in this thread.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Watch swifty

1. Drink atleast 4 bottles of Nestle Pure Life every day - 6 at most - Drink 1 bottle of water as soon as u wake up - never drink 0 calorie artificial soda's.
    2. Replace all carbs with 100% Whole Grains - 100% whole grain Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Pasta, Bread - 100% Whole Grain only!
    3. Remove all meats and dairy.
    4. If you still eat meat, eat 99% lean chicken, and fish, and salmon.
    5. Eat almonds and avocado's for good fats.
    6. Bad fats are saturated fats and trans fat, remove all trans fat, but 10% of your calories can be saturated fat - around 10 grams to 15 grams per day at most.
    7. Eat a salad once a day, carrots, broccoli, cucumber, pickled beets, tomatoes, that type of thing.
    8. Use olive oil and and Bragg apple cider vinegar as a dressing.
    9. Eat an apple 30 minutes before breakfast, the morning is the best time to eat fruit, otherwise it purifies in the stomach, like all acidic fruits.
    10. Banana's are neutral, but try to eat fruit 30 minutes before meals.
    11. Walk for 30 mins to an hr every day.

Aim for around 1800 calories a day for men, 1500 to 1800 for women.

If you stick to this and you cannot fail to lose weight, cheat and you will gain weight, its that simple.
    Last edited by Bluespirit; 2013-09-30 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluespirit View Post
    1. Drink atleast 4 bottles of Nestle Pure Life every day - 6 at most - Drink 1 bottle of water as soon as u wake up - never drink 0 calorie artificial soda's.
    2. Replace all carbs with 100% Whole Grains - 100% whole grain Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Pasta, Bread - 100% Whole Grain only!
    4. If you still eat meat, eat 99% lean chicken, and fish, and salmon.
    5. Eat almonds and avocado's for good fats.
    6. Bad fats are saturated fats and trans fat, remove all trans fat, but 10% of your calories can be saturated fat - around 10 grams to 15 grams per day at most.
    7. Eat a salad once a day, carrots, broccoli, cucumber, pickled beets, tomatoes, that type of thing.
    9. Eat an apple 30 minutes before breakfast, the morning is the best time to eat fruit, otherwise it purifies in the stomach, like all acidic fruits.

If you stick to this and you cannot fail to lose weight, cheat and you will gain weight, its that simple.
    LOL hahhaa

Quote Originally Posted by Roosky View Post
    LOL hahhaa
    Its no joke.

Honestly? Best advice is simple. Eat less.

Might sound obvious, but really its amazing how much you can eat without thinking about it. So write it down every day. Cut snacks, have a little less dinner, put a little less in a sandwich. It all adds up.

You only really need to get super anal about your calorie intake when you're losing your last stone or so of weight or training up for some sort of athletic activity. Making it over complicated while just trying to start the process is extremely demoralising.

Oh, and I've lost 3 stone over the last few months. Just so everyone knows it works if you just cut down a bit and walk a little extra.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roosky View Post
    cheat day isn't a bad thing
    Yep, it can actually be beneficial if you don't go crazy with it. Once a week, have something different. It forces your digestive system to not get comfortable or start to store fat. So a little grease and fat on a friday or saturday night might help.

Not to mention it helps psychologically. Never eating 'nice' food (i.e. fat and sugar) is demoralising, and having something to look forward to can really keep you going. And then you tend to eat that food more slowly and savour it when you do get some!

Eating less is too much of a compromise. I rather work out harder and eat more. Makes be look good naked + I can enjoy my favorite passtime, eating food.

Sex at least 3 times per day. Worked for me couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Diet, work out your TDEE (google it) and consume 500 calories under it a day, counting calories is the only 100% way of being able to lose weight. Any other method relies on luck and/or bullshit.
    Not quite true. The problem with eating less is that once you return to eating more the body will pack that weight right back on. The best thing to do is eat healthier. You know lay off the sugary and sweets and fats, and eat fruits and veggies. That'll make you feel better in the long run anyway. Then work out. Do miles of run/walk. Do some weight training. And that'll help you lose weight. It won't be instant, but over a few months you'll see your weight go down.

Deleted
    The best way to lose weight is to eat less fat food and more healthy food. Getting some exercise also helps a lot. Personally I'm not a fan of going to a gym, but at least I ride my bike a lot and I almost always choose to use the stairs instead of the elevator. All those littles things together get you at least minimal exercise each day.

But honestly the easiest and simplest way to lose weight for me was to simply stop drinking all kinds of crap and start drinking regular water. For lots of people (me included) water actually tastes really good once you get used to it.

That is far too low of an amount of calories per day. Hell your body uses more than that to keep you alive in a day.

Eat less and get more exercise. There are lots of diets or forms of exercise you can choose from and some are certainly more effective than others. The thing is, it isn't effective if you quit. Try to choose a diet and a form of exercise that you are comfortable sticking with. That lose weight fast method may sound more appealing but if it is too hard for you to stay on the program then at the end of the day it won't work for you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Diet, work out your TDEE (google it) and consume 500 calories under it a day, counting calories is the only 100% way of being able to lose weight. Any other method relies on luck and/or bullshit.
    I probably only eat about 1700 calories a day (guessing), and my TDEE says I should take about 2200 a day so maybe you're onto something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    That is far too low of an amount of calories per day. Hell your body uses more than that to keep you alive in a day.
    So why am I not dead yet? I've been eating about 1700 calories a day for quite a few years now and I'm completely healthy.
    Yeah sure maybe 1800 calories isn't enough to keep a construction worker alive, but for someone that only sits at a computer for both work and as a hobby it does the job just fine.

I do sometimes get sick purely because I'm hungry though, and that probably has to do with too low sugar levels. But I always go and grab something to eat, I'm not ignoring my body when it alerts me of any possible danger.

Deleted
    0 calories = 0 calories. They won't affect weight gain or loss.

Nothing wrong with meat and dairy if it fits your macros.

Saturated fats help boost your testosterone levels, even more so than unsaturated if I'm right. Mix it up with unsaturated fats (difference between poly/mono isn't that important) and exercise to outweigh the negatives of it.

Olive oil has lots of calories in it, not quite handy when you want to lose weight.

wat

Differs per person. Try to estimate your TDEE first using something like http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/, then adjust your diet/exercise regime so you're about 300-500 kcals under maintenance. If you don't notice any significant changes after like a month you adjust it again, lowering it by like 100-200 every month until you notice results.
    Last edited by mmocc260283a87; 2013-09-30 at 10:30 AM.