Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    How to lose weight:

Burn more calories than you consume.

That is all. It honestly isn't any more complex than that....

...unless of course you do nothing but blow coke and eat wet toilet paper for the first week of your diet...you'll lose weight, but shit gets complicated!
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2013-11-18 at 07:46 PM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remove an appendage... Or the none saw way- just exercise more

Quote Originally Posted by Acknowledge View Post
    Swimming, Running, Rowing... Science & professionals can't seem to decide what the best way to loose weight is.
    So what do you think?
    Any experience?
    Eating right way. Any exercise wont matter if you after gym, swimming or running eat that candybar. Getting slim is all about how do you eat and what do you eat. Any kind of exercise just helps you get slim but truth is nothing happens if you eat like pig. Correctly eating means something like 90% of your weight loss if not even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Acknowledge View Post
    Swimming, Running, Rowing... Science & professionals can't seem to decide what the best way to loose weight is.
    So what do you think?
    Any experience?
    Can speak with experience, that one of the best way to lose weight is running (lost 12 kg in a half year) but if you want to look ripped it will take really long, don't make the same mistake like I did and lose too much weight it was hard to gain it back as muscles... Some more tips for you: No Junk food and if you want to lose weight in the fastest way possible eat as little carbs as possible in the evening and eat 5 smaller meals instead of 3 big meals. Being in good shape: Healthy nutrition + workout

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexxie View Post
    Eat more cheese, bacon, butter, saturated fats, meats, animal fats, more bacon, eggs, veg, more bacon.

Cut the bread, pasta, rice and other starchy foods. Cut the fruit, sugar and high sugar sauces.

If your aim is to lose weight, this will do you wonders. If your aim is to get fit, then you may need some carb intake but only through natural grains. All this energy balance talk makes me sick. Sure you can still lose weight through calorie deficits but you are essentially starving your body and your brain doesn't like it. Hence why those types of diets are really hard to stick to.

- - - Updated - - -

Not true at all. Keto is not only a great way to lose weight it's got life changing medical benefits. The rate at which you lose weight is far higher on keto and the biochemical process is totally different than eating carbs. It's also great to use as your pre bulk diet cycle due to the benefits of increased insulin sensitivity. Oh and it can totally reverse type 2 diabetes, fight cancer, prevent alzheimer's, treat epilepsy the list goes on.
    Reverse type 2 diabetes... that's some claim you have to back-up because type 2 can have a variety of causes, many of them quite permanent and most of the time it degrades into a form that requires medication because a specific diet isn't enough anymore.
    Also stuffing your body with fats can't be good for your arteries.

I personally have Diabetes type I (basically means that my immune system got messed up at some point and that it attacks the insulin creating cells meaning that my pancreas can't do its work anymore) and I know how it feels when you can't burn your carbohydrates. When I sport I need sugars, because fat is too slow burn and the same goes for starch. Otherwise I simply do not have the burst of energy I require. People who eat fat exclusively (still need some carbs as nerve cells can't burn fat) indeed loose their weight which means they definitely will have more energy just by having less body mass alone. The thing is my body was going through a similar thing when my illness wasn't discovered yet. Out of that experience I can't imagine having such a diet can be good for you on the long run.

Diet is a very simple balance in the end: don't take more than you need. Basic things to do when facing obesity boils down to one simple thing: maintaining some form of discipline. I know this is the problem for most people, but there are a few things that can help. The biggest is actually maintaining a normal day rhythm. Get up in time go to bed in time. Generally this is actually easier if you have something like a job as I found in university it's way harder to maintain. Second tip is to not go shopping for groceries when you are hungry. This ties together with the following: don't buy the unhealthy stuff you would eat between your regular meals. People tend to eat when they don't need to out of boredom or stress and what you don't have in your house you cant eat. Making this choice with a full belly in the supermarket is a damn lot easier than having to make that choice in front of your fully filled food stores.
    Exercise is always a good thing and it helps if you do it together with someone so you can drag each other to it. I personally don't recommend fitness due it to being to boring meaning it's hard to motivate yourself after some time. Also your goal is to maintain a healthy body, not the body of an athlete or a bodybuilder. Some in a group is a good thing as long as you don't have a group that only there for the social aspect. Moving a few steps and hanging at the bar afterwards don't make for a very good training.
    As for going on a diet... don't do it, it won't work on the long run. You need to change your lifestyle otherwise it will just return. I also do not recommend a lot of diet products. A lot of them don't 'fill' you and artificially sweeteners are quite shady atm. I mostly restrict those to my soda drinks, but even then I wish there was a better alternative (water all the time doesn't work either, but it's a very good option). On the long run, if you eat & drink better you adapt to the fact that you eat less fat and sugar. That's also the point you'll notice how gross some stuff actually is because it has way too much fat and/or sugar (and also stuff like salt). Also i is a good thing to take time for your meals even in a stressful time. (T/M)ake the time to take care of yourself.

From personal experience, after trying almost every program out there, the only thing that is going to make you lose weight is determination and hard work. The simplest most effective way is to watch what you eat, it's not just about your calorie intake, which you should be mindful of, but what types of food you're eating. 100 calories on some sugared snack bar vs. 100 calories in vegetables will make a huge difference. Keep your calories at what they need to be (you can talk to your doctor about that, or do some tests online to calculate it). and Exercise! If you are looking to lose weight fast, exercise harder. I honestly feel hard exercise is the fastest way to lose it, but you need to have the right fuel in your body to help it along. Working out for 1 hour, doesn't mean you get an hour of calories back. Best classes or activities for simply losing weight is really debatable. I believe the general consensus is high cardio, but I feel that a balance of weights + cardio are best (for me). Me personally I did cross-fit bootcamp 3x a week for one hour. It was hard, it was intense, but I lost about 50lbs at a healthy pace and felt a lot stronger in general. Any exercise that exhausts you physically is helping work away that fat. IMO if you walk away from a one hour workout and can still walk around, go shopping, do chores - you arent working out hard enough. It's tough to get into a routine, but once you do, it will be worth it.

Kaeja - Stormrage
    // Thanks to maybenotquiteasheavy for the Signature & Avatar! //

10+ Year Old Account
    "Only eat whole grain kernels and Kale"-most people in this thread

If you jog/walk for 30/45 (sprinting and slowing down when u need to is also good) minutes a day, replace soda/sugary drinks with water, even partially, and watch your eating habits even in the slightest, you will lose weight.

You don't have to starve yourself, you don't have to eat seaweed or drink health smoothies, or take a pill, or anything out of the ordinary.

The best way to lose fat is through combination of proper nutritious diet and extreme workout. We can even use supplementary product as they also helps to lose the fat, actually supplements consist of special ingredients which are used for burning of fat within the body. One of the best ingredients is Omega 3 fatty acids.

Swimming/running
    Or if you have ADD/something related = amphetamines

Quote Originally Posted by Amontoya86 View Post
    I will tell you how I lost weight (not saying its the right way to do it, but how I personally did it).

I weighed 203 lbs..........and I am 5'8". I looked awful. Our office decided to do its own "Biggest Loser" and in order to enter it, we had to throw down 100 bucks. The winner would take the pot at the end of the 3 month period. Only 8 people entered, but I figured the money (besides the obvious health gain) would be good enough motivation. I consumed 1500 calories Monday-Fri and let myself go to 2000 calories on the weekend, though I rarely did (kept track of my calorie intake by my iPhone app MyFitnessPal). Ate around every 3 hours, oatmeal for breakfast, some almonds for a snack, some type of protein lunch (turkey wheat sub, salad with chicken in it, etc), another snack like carrots/hummus, and then either a protein shake for dinner (if I did weight lifting) or some chicken for dinner (if it was cardio). Drank at least 8 huge cups of water a day, and went to the gym Mon-Thurs. Mon, did cardio for an hour. Tues, did bi's and back. Wed, did cardio for 30 and worked on legs. Thurs, did tri's and chest. Rested Fri-Sun. I like to party and drink, mostly sipped on Vodka w/diet tonic or water and lemon. If I was forced to drink beer, I drank light beers but I tried to avoid at all costs. I did this for three months, and went from 203 to 165, felt great, and was $800 richer . Just takes some dedication and restraint.

I did almost the exact same thing from the exact same starting and end points, I'm also 5'8". 200 to 160 and eventually down to 145 though I'm 160 now. I did not however workout until I was down to 160, all I did was cut calories. I cut meals in half of what I used to eat and found that I while I was hungry for a little while after eating still, it went away in about an hour and then I didn't notice that I had eaten drastically less than I was used to. The way we eat today and how fast some of us eat, the body is not able to tell us to stop fast enough and we are designed to be able to put on weight when and if we need to. I lost 40 lbs this way without much change, I still had soda daily but not in excess, never diet that stuff is much worse than regular soda.

Moral is if you're overweight you are overeating. That is all there is too it really. Sure you can increase your calorie burn with exercise and that can help a bit but you burn calories all the time and the real way to lose those stored cals is to deprive the body of glucose (what all food is turned into basically) so it has to turn on glucagon and start to burn the stored glucose that is your fat. Eating healthy and working out is great, I would always advise that but anyone anywhere can lose weight just by eating less, without having to change their daily routine or diet.

I weight myself in the morning and can see the results when I eat too much or too little on the scale. I know when I overeat and I see it the next day and I know when I undereat or fast and I lose a 0.5 to 1 lb those days. I was always told not to do that but it was motivation for me when eating less to see the loss, and it kept working.

A balanced healthy diet in moderate amounts mixed in with some excercise (Running is fantastic).

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    So wrong. If you want to lose weight you should devote yourself to it, also many people can't handle cheat days, it's a slippery slope.
    There's a reason why he's fat, because he can't control himself. Nuturing his old habbits with snacks isn't going to help him.
    If you cant handle a cheat day. Dont have one. I didnt for 8 months because I thought it would ruin me. But guess what. One meal doesnt make you fat. Cheat days are no go eat unhealthy, eat something that you normally wouldnt within reason. I have pasta most cheat days, then I go for a run after it.

Its not nuturing old habits with snacks. Ask any nutrionalist. Any proper nutrionalist (not jo blow from the gym who says cutting carbs is the best thing ever). If you are hungry (HUNGRY not BORED) its better you eat than to say no Ive got 2 hours till my next meal and slow your metabolism. That doesnt mean you go and have a sandwich. Have 10 nuts and drink more water.

The biggest thing is a sustainable plan.
    ...but what would I know.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1305818387.jpg
    Last edited by Murderdoll; 2013-11-19 at 09:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by torment3d View Post
    I've lost 70 lbs over the past 6 months by taking ADD medication regularly. Seemed to work out pretty well!
    Of course, it's an appetite suppressant -- you probably don't eat properly.

Crash dieting is just as unhealthy as being obese, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    If you cant handle a cheat day. Dont have one. I didnt for 8 months because I thought it would ruin me. But guess what. One meal doesnt make you fat. Cheat days are no go eat unhealthy, eat something that you normally wouldnt within reason. I have pasta most cheat days, then I go for a run after it.

Its not nuturing old habits with snacks. Ask any nutrionalist. Any proper nutrionalist. If you are hungry (HUNGRY not BORED) its better you eat than to say no Ive got 2 hours till my next meal and slow your metabolism. That doesnt mean you go and have a sandwich. Have 10 nuts and drink more water.

...but what would I know.
    Doesn't matter how many meals you eat a day, people need to get over that myth. Find whatever mealplan works for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best way to lose weight is by using a combination approach. Regular, varied exercise, coupled with sensible eating habits. Exercise wise, it's best to vary which days you work out, as your body will adapt if you work out in the same day/activity pattern. Instead of doing easy day, hard day etc, shake it up some with doing 2 or 3 hard work outs one week, and maybe only 1 the following week...the point is to keep your body guessing when it comes to exercise. Pyramid CV sessions work really well for this, followed by some light weight training. Once your fitness level increases, start substituting some of the CV sessions for pure weight training, and tailor the weights you lift to how you want your body tone to be....lean or bulky.

With regards the eating side of things, portion control and content are key. When you dish up smaller portions, but take longer to eat them, you'll feel full by the time you finish, making a diet feel less like a diet. Dropping white and refined foods is important...so no more potatoes, no more white rice, no more white bread. Go for whole foods, low in starch, like sweet potatoes, wholemeal bread, brown rice etc, however, it's important to try to inculde protien in every meal, and minimise (not eliminate) carbs, especially first thing in the morning. When it comes to bread, I find it most effective to only have bread on the days I work out, avoiding it completely on recovery days. Loads of folks recommend loads of fruit, but you gotta remember that all fruits are high in sugar, so you gotta be sensible about fruit intake too. Snaking on small amounts of fruit and nuts are good ways of maintaining metabolic activity, especially almonds (insmall amounts...no more than about 10 whole almonds, no more than 2-3 times daily). Loads of people swear by certain suppliments etc. Basically, anything that helps raise your metabolic rate for a prolonged period is good to go for, the more natural the better. For me, Green Tea extract (or Green Tea as a drink instead of regular tea/coffee) an fenugreek have garnered the best results without making me feel jacked the whole time.

All this info was given to me by a friend who's a Military PT Instructor and personal trainer. It's worked for loads of civilian folks he's trained. It's worked for loads of the military personnel he's trained.. All it takes is personal discipline, and a desire for change.

Hope this helps

10+ Year Old Account
    Losing weight isn’t that much of a science, honestly, it’s just something that can take a pretty big lifestyle change for a great many people, particularly in the United States or Great Britain. Better dietary habits and more exercise come naturally to certain people from a cultural standpoint, while others really have to make a bit of extra effort. And while there’s already some good advice in this thread, this is what I’d be thinking about (this is borne from my own experience) and I apologise for any repetition.

Diet: Have three square meals a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and cut out the snacks. As in, cut out the snacks between meals entirely. Don’t skip breakfast, as it’s a meal that kickstarts your metabolism when you get up – it helps you to lose weight. That said, stay away from those big, greasy cooked breakfasts when you can and go for things like cereal or toast instead.

At mealtimes, be sensible and eat reasonable portions. Substitute chocolate and candy for fruit. Soft drinks are terrible for you, so change them out for water, fruit juice or even milk. Perhaps most importantly, have a look at what you’re eating and decide if that’s really what you want to be putting inside you. Here in Scotland too many things are deep fried (yuck), whereas Americans seem to have a penchant for smothering everything in cheese (also yuck). Start thinking about rice, pasta and vegetables rather than burgers, chips and pizza.

In short, eat a reasonably well-controlled and considered diet.

Sleep: It’s often overlooked, but a regular and sensible sleeping pattern is an important part of getting yourself back in shape. If you have an awful sleep pattern, your body has trouble regulating energy which leads to a slower metabolism and consistent sluggishness. A good, unbroken eight-hour sleep every night for a fortnight will have you feeling like a new person. If you struggle with sleeping at night, try to build a routine and cut out naps during the day that’ll otherwise disrupt it.

Basically, if you work full time, get yourself to bed at around half-past ten and get up around half-past seven. It’s really simple (excepting shift-workers and the like).

Alcohol: Cut it out, or cut it down. Particularly in Britain, our drinking culture does our weight and our health no good whatsoever. A night on the tiles every Friday and Saturday will literally undo all the good work you’ve done the rest of the week. If you do enjoy a sociable drink, look to smaller volumes with less outright crap in them. Heavies and lagers are probably the worst things to drink, while sticking with spirits and liquors is probably about the best.

Again, this isn’t too complicated. Don’t drink to excess too often, it’s bad juju.

Exercise: Perhaps the most important part of weight loss is exercise, but I’ve listed it last because it might well be the last thing you come to after diet and sleep is being handled better. Essentially, exercise is used to burn calories that you wouldn’t otherwise be burning during the day. Clearly, more manual or labour intensive jobs will have you torching calories left and right, but I daresay most people don’t do jobs like this. But you can start small; go for a walk after dinner, think about leaving the car for smaller journeys and stay relatively active throughout the day. Swimming and jogging are probably the next steps up once you’re getting less benefit from simply walking (but walking is a hugely underrated form of exercise), but take it slow.

If you’re younger and generally in reasonable shape but want to do better, you’re going to have to step it up. Depending on the desired result, even playing a sport like football (the real kind, you know, where the world champions have to beat the other teams in the WORLD) or tennis two to three times a week will do a lot of good. After that, proper workout programs will need to be looked at and gym membership follows but perhaps we’re getting ahead of ourselves for this thread.

In short, exercise can be as simple as walking or playing a sport with a chum.

All in all, what you’ll probably notice, is that none of this is particularly rough or jarring. For the average working person, this is relatively easy to fit into a normal day and nothing should look earth-shatteringly challenging. Ultimately, that’s the point – if you try to change your entire lifestyle in one go, you’re going to give up because it’s just too big a jump.

Start small, be determined and just aim to live a reasonable lifestyle. There isn’t that much to it, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post
    Losing weight isn’t that much of a science, honestly, it’s just something that can take a pretty big lifestyle change for a great many people, particularly in the United States or Great Britain. Better dietary habits and more exercise come naturally to certain people from a cultural standpoint, while others really have to make a bit of extra effort. And while there’s already some good advice in this thread, this is what I’d be thinking about (this is borne from my own experience) and I apologise for any repetition.

Diet: Have three square meals a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and cut out the snacks. As in, cut out the snacks between meals entirely. Don’t skip breakfast, as it’s a meal that kickstarts your metabolism when you get up – it helps you to lose weight. That said, stay away from those big, greasy cooked breakfasts when you can and go for things like cereal or toast instead.
    No, it doesn't.

Deleted
    Eat a large and filling breakfast.

Don't stress much about food.

Burn more energy than you consume.

This thread is so full of broscience its not funny
    Ur body doesn't shutdown from not eating for 24 hours
    Ur metabolism doesn't speed up by eating small meals every 2 hours
    Ur body doesn't have a switch that activates at night time that turns all ur carbs into fats and storing it directly as fat.
    Weight lifting isn't bad for ur knees and back. Doing high rep low weight is USELESS and a WASTE OF TIME. It doesn't 'tone' your muscle
    U can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time.if u think u r its because ur losing fat and revealing the muscle

If u want to lose weight, eat at a sensible deficit, lift heavy at least 3x a week and hit ur minimal protein requirement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acester View Post
    No, it doesn't.
    Yes, it does.

There are multiple health benefits to eating a decent breakfast, and you can find most of them with little more than a quick Google search.

Try it.