Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosky View Post
    Crap food is actually good once a week at least when trying to lose weight and soda doesn't effect weight loss, especially the diet ones, you need some fat still in your diet, cheat day is a good thing.
    soda does not effect weight loss.....well no, no more than say pigging out on a takeaway does not effect weight loss....

Soda, and yes that includes diet" ones, is full of crap.

If you want to keep drinking it, fine, going all in is seldom a sucessful approach anyway, but dont kid yourself, soda is crap for you.

I've lost between 2-4 pounds a week over the last 2 months by combining DHEA with the yellow hornet dietary supplement made by Stacker2.
    I don't work out or anything like that but I do have a somewhat physically demanding job so pills that increase energy/metabolism tend to work for me.

That said I don't suggest the yellow hornets to anyone who hasn't built up a high tolerance for even the most potent energy drinks such as redline as it works much like Ephedrine and is essentially the legal version of meth.

To be honest though, from what I found to be the most influential part of losing weight was to just choose water over other beverages such as cola/tea/juice because well just take a look at all the bad shit in any pre-made store bought beverage.
    Last edited by skrump; 2013-09-26 at 11:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crap food is actually good once a week at least when trying to lose weight and soda doesn't effect weight loss, especially the diet ones, you need some fat still in your diet, cheat day is a good thing.
    Don't listen to this. All nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Acknowledge View Post
    Swimming, Running, Rowing... Science & professionals can't seem to decide what the best way to loose weight is.
    So what do you think?
    Any experience?
    losing weight is 90% diet, 10% exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    You can do cardio if you want, but its not as efficient as the above. Nothing wrong with cardio, but I find cardio sessions in the gym boring as hell and its not as beneficial as hitting the weights and doing HIIT, but if you like cardio sessions, go for it.
    I don't want to get into the same headdesking argument that happens about this every damned time, but there's no such thing as lifting or cardio being "more effective". Both should be done to be healthy. People should do the one they enjoy more than the one that they enjoy less. Both can burn insane amounts of calories if you're sufficiently interested in them. From a practical standpoint, it's easier for people doing long runs to burn a lot of calories than people focusing on lifting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    losing weight is 90% diet, 10% exercise.
    So, if someone maintains the same caloric intake, but adds 5 miles/day of running, they'll lose only 10% of the weight that someone who cut 500 calories/day out of their diet would? Alternatively, you're just throwing numbers out that have no relation to anything, at all.

well, I think what is meant here is that it is ok to binge once a week. If you eat extremely conservatively 6 days a week, you can binge for one. What the basic theory is, and I'm not sure of the science, but if you continue to eat extremely conservatively, you will actually slow your metabolism down, by binging that one day, it sends your metabolism into overdrive.

Read "The 4-Hour Body" by Timothy Ferriss. That will explain it better than I can

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    So, if someone maintains the same caloric intake, but adds 5 miles/day of running, they'll lose only 10% of the weight that someone who cut 500 calories/day out of their diet would? Alternatively, you're just throwing numbers out that have no relation to anything, at all.
    The point is that regardless of whether or not you exercise, you are still burning calories. You are burning calories sitting on your ass watching television.

Say your rested metabolism is about 2400 per day, just going with a round number here that is somewhat close to average. Thus 200 calories per hour. If you do a treadmill for an hour, you'll burn about 500 calories, for a net gain of 300 calories lost for the day, or slightly over 10% of your rested.

Bottom line is that if you don't change your diet, you won't lose the weight.

The point is that regardless of whether or not you exercise, you are still burning calories. You are burning calories sitting on your ass watching television.

Say your rested metabolism is about 2400 per day, just going with a round number here that is somewhat close to average. Thus 200 calories per hour. If you do a treadmill for an hour, you'll burn about 500 calories, for a net gain of 300 calories lost.
    I can't tell if you're admitting that you pulled nonsensical numbers out of your ass or not.

Bottom line is that if you don't change your diet, you won't lose the weight.
    This is just dead wrong, and it's not remotely debatable.

Deleted
    take an axe and chop off your limbs. You'll lose weight guaranteed and fast

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a horrible idee.

- - - Updated - - -

iPhone + Spotify = Incredible cardio session.
    That's what I do.
    I recommend doing 30-45 minutes of weight lifting and then running for an hour.
    That equals to about 750kl.

- - - Updated - - -

You're a genius!
    What do you call a woman with one leg?
    - Ilene

I can't tell if you're admitting that you pulled nonsensical numbers out of your ass or not.

This is just dead wrong, and it's not remotely debatable.
    reread the post, read the book I mentioned, it will actually explain it better than I can.

I don't want to get into the same headdesking argument that happens about this every damned time, but there's no such thing as lifting or cardio being "more effective". Both should be done to be healthy. People should do the one they enjoy more than the one that they enjoy less. Both can burn insane amounts of calories if you're sufficiently interested in them. From a practical standpoint, it's easier for people doing long runs to burn a lot of calories than people focusing on lifting.
    Well... kinda. Either (or both) is great, but weight lifting has an added benefit. If you lift weights with short breaks in between sets (i.e., don't be that guy who sits there for 5 minutes before doing 3 reps unless you're training for World's Strongest Man) you get cardio, but you also burn calories for days after as your muscles repair themselves. Also, you'll just look better overall as you gain muscle definition.

I workout 4-5 times / week and this is the path I have taken. To each their own though. The point is to do _something_.

Lost 60 kgs in 5 months. Its way easier than people think. 15 mins per day body weigh exercises, no cardio. Full protein diet while on calorie deficit. Risky or not, it worked and it was not the first time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking from experience.

Stop making excuses, get off your ass, do as much cardio as possible, start looking at food as calories instead of 'fun time'. View food as a means to stay alive, don't make an 'event' out of eating. Spread out your meals into small snack sized meals about 6 times a day to keep your metabolism active, they need to be balanced. We're talking about something like one piece of plain baked chicken as one of those meals to give you an idea, you shouldn't need a multivitamin if you're actually going to pay attention to what you eat and attempt to have it balanced. Research the combinations of what you should eat online.

Don't drink anything that contains calories, period. Drink water, nothing but water, lots of it, as you should be sweating quite a bit.

You might want to do minor weight lifting for your upper body so the muscles are active, but I'd research that more.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2013-09-26 at 11:37 PM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    You might want to do minor weight lifting for your upper body so the muscles are active, but I'd research that more.
    Agreed up through here, but I'd change this to, "you should absolutely be lifting at least one day a week". No matter what your fitness goals are, you're going to be better off from a health, bone density, and calorie burn place if you're getting in at least one good day of lifting per week. It also has the added benefit of improving all sorts of upper body muscles that are essential for strong running and cycling. Don't worry about bulk - no one gets muscle bulk by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    Eat less exercise more and what food you do eat make sure it's healthy

Grains
    Vegtables/fruits
    Chicken/fish
    Lean red meat etc etc etc no junk foods
    that does not really matter that much as long as you burn more calories than you take in.
    But yeah in general eating more healty helpes. but you can still eat something nasty once a week without problems as long as you abide by what i mentioned before.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    The pre-WotLK Mind Flay animation. 2nd biggest reason for rolling a Priest, biggest obviously being Shadowform. Anyone who uses Glyph of Shadow should reroll Hunter, filthy blasphemers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed up through here, but I'd change this to, "you should absolutely be lifting at least one day a week". No matter what your fitness goals are, you're going to be better off from a health, bone density, and calorie burn place if you're getting in at least one good day of lifting per week. It also has the added benefit of improving all sorts of upper body muscles that are essential for strong running and cycling. Don't worry about bulk - no one gets muscle bulk by accident.
    I agree, though I stated it that way as to not show focus on weight lifting, in addition to that I'm not an expert in any of these fields, but most of it is for lack of a better term; common sense.

I also worded it like that as I'd hope OP would do some research and realize they needed to do some weight lifting, and the main focus is the cardio, although the lifting is important as well.

I did normal weight lifting when I was getting in shape.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acknowledge View Post
    That's a horrible idee.

- - - Updated - - -

iPhone + Spotify = Incredible cardio session.
    That's what I do.
    I recommend doing 30-45 minutes of weight lifting and then running for an hour.
    That equals to about 750kl.

- - - Updated - - -

You're a genius!
    Someone who is fat cannot lift weight for 45 mins then run for an hour.

What everyone else said, but seriously come on, learn to spellcheck your subject first. Lose weight to make your pants loose. :P
    "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"

-The Doctor, Voyage of the Damned

10+ Year Old Account
    Diet diet diet. Then cardio. Then weight training. Will get you loose weight, and by loose weight I mean the extra skin flapping around after the fats gone.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paraclef View Post
    Fast and don't break it.

Seriously, stop the fat food, don't eat all day long, drink a lot or eat fruit a lot, this should be a good beginning.

There is a big difference between losing fat and losing weight.
    And what you mentioned is a good way to lose weight.

Best way to lose weight - eat under maintenance. That's all their is to it, basics of thermodynamics.

If you wan't to make sure what you're losing is mostly fat and not muscle, then take in roughly 1g of protein per lb of LBM (how much you'd weight if you didn't have fat on you), lift heavy, at least 3 times a week, and eat anywhere from 10-20% under maintenance.
    There is no 'clean' food. Your body is going to take in a macronutrient no matter what the source is. A gram of fat is a gram of fat whether it comes from pizza or fish. A gram of carbs is a gram of carbs whether it comes from brown rice or white rice. Don't limit yourself to 'clean' foods, so to say, you'll just set yourself up for a binge.