Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

World of WarCraft on a MacBook Retina 13''?

I've played quite a lot of D3 on my Retina 13'' and it surprised me how well it played.
    I could play on Medium graphics without any lag or my MacBook becoming too hot.
    I've been wondering if anyone had experience with WoW or SC2 on the MacBook 13'' (Retina,2012).

What resolution are you playing the game at?

10+ Year Old Account
    13'' Retina, 2560x1600(HD)

Why not simply try it out instead of asking us to guess for you?

Guess would be that solo/5player content in WoW is totally doable, but 25man raids will require medium or lower settings to run without lagging badly.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The macbooks have really mediocre graphics card, i think an intel hd one. Not really meant for playing graphic intensive games.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't asking you to guess.
    I was wondering if anyone, who owns a 13'' Retina already has WoW on their computers.
    What do you call a woman with one leg?
    - Ilene

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ztreb185 View Post
    The macbooks have really mediocre graphics card, i think an intel hd one. Not really meant for playing graphic intensive games.
    So WoW will play perfectly fine. I have a MacBook 13" from the pre-Retina days and it plays WoW perfectly well with medium settings.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    after a full night of WoW you could cook your breakfast on it if you play at 2560p with mid-high settings, it really depends on how long your sessions are (same for every other correctly-priced notebooks)

Quote Originally Posted by Lefeng View Post
    So WoW will play perfectly fine. I have a MacBook 13" from the pre-Retina days and it plays WoW perfectly well with medium settings.
    Perfectly fine if you don't do 25m raids (LFR as well).
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

2560x1600 res on 13" display - totally useless ... For that price I would rather play on 24" monitor with some nice PC, but hey who will not allow someone buy overpriced netbook ...

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Perfectly fine if you don't do 25m raids (LFR as well).
    lol and for that price PC would totally handle 25man xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    2560x1600 res on 13" display - totally useless ... For that price I would rather play on 24" monitor with some nice PC, but hey who will not allow someone buy overpriced netbook ...

lol and for that price PC would totally handle 25man xD
    Have you even viewed the 13" Retina screen in person?

10+ Year Old Account
    Same as others. Mine pre-dates the Retina days as well....25 man raids will kill you as well as the highest, best graphics settings (for extended periods), everything else will be fine.

Mine also runs D3 and WoW just fine (at medium settings), but for whatever reason (with one of the nVidia cards) is terribly doggy with SC2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    Mac haters are so cute when they feel like they need to vomit out their personal biases into forums that don't require their input. Maybe some of us like the design and the look and money isn't really an object. I love my Mac almost as much as I love all the other high-end things I have.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Nemah; 2013-09-26 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2500 View Post
    No, it is pretty useless unless you do photo work or video work.

1080p content looks worse than it does on the retina displays than it would natively on a 1080p display. A lot of content is not upscaled (mainly fonts and web page layouts) properly for display on the screen, making some content near impossible or very frustrating to look at / read. It will heavily hinder WoW's (or any other game's) performance compared to 1080p. The list goes on.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2500 View Post
    I seen HTC one display (which have close or same pixel density) and for me picture may be super clear, but this useless for gaming (unless you put screen veeeery close to your eyes, which would be uncomfortable).

Quote Originally Posted by Nemah View Post
    Mac haters are so cute when they feel like they need to vomit out their personal biases into forums that don't require their input. Maybe some of us like the design and the look and money isn't really an object. I love my Mac almost as much as I love all the other high-end things I have.

Cheers.
    If I cannot mock apple fanboys on this forum I don't want to live anymore (as this is gaming forum and macs for gaming are ... you know).

* User was infracted: Well, you can't bait people like that here.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2013-09-27 at 12:16 AM.
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Although a computer you already have, I've gone ahead and moved this thread to sub-section anyway due to similiarity of subjects, albeit a fine line.

Deleted
    Well, if it struggles with 2560*1600, you can always run it at 1280*800.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acknowledge View Post
    I've played quite a lot of D3 on my Retina 13'' and it surprised me how well it played.
    I could play on Medium graphics without any lag or my MacBook becoming too hot.
    I've been wondering if anyone had experience with WoW or SC2 on the MacBook 13'' (Retina,2012).
    If D3 works WoW should work too...

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why would I wanna play on 13" screen anyway ?

I like how I get infracted, but Nemah post is ok ...

I just wanted to point out that macs are not designed to game on ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Bait: Deliberately annoy or taunt (someone): "the boys reveled in baiting him about his love of literature".
    The baiting was already engaged.

@OP

Turning down shadows/view distance and resolution should fix any FPS issues for large scale combat. I have the Retina 15" 012 model and that is what I usually do when I play WoW when I am away from my desktop. I usually get 30-40 fps during Raids (sometimes dips below 30).

But as with anything, if I was going to get a laptop solely for gaming on the move, id be looking at something rather more beefier.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2013-09-28 at 08:24 PM.