Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The Mass Effect Trilogy- NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

So I am finally going to be picking up the Mass Effect Trilogy ( I know I am kinda late on it but whatever) next week so that I don't get burned out on GTA V.

Now I've read on numerous blogs and threads, that your decisions in the earlier games affects the outcomes in the sequels and the story. I love that idea. However, I was looking for tips without any spoilers on the best way to play the game or the best way going about playing the game.

Start from the first and move through the 2nd and 3rd should be self explanatory.

Any other tips or things I should keep in mind before playing?

Take your time and do all the side missions when you can before continuing on the main mission line. Sometimes earlier missions will become unavailable after you reach the next step in the main mission line.

Otherwise don't worry about how your decisions in the first game will affect the third game, just make the decisions as they come up and go with the storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    Take your time and do all the side missions when you can before continuing on the main mission line. Sometimes earlier missions will become unavailable after you reach the next step in the main mission line.

Otherwise don't worry about how your decisions in the first game will affect the third game, just make the decisions as they come up and go with the storyline.
    I've never really played too many RPGs in fact I am pretty new to the genre with Skyrim being my first major "RPG" . Sure I've played COD and Halo but not something like ME.

Would you compare ME to something like Skyrim where its open world or is it something like COD and Halo with missions.

Basicly this. however the first game was horrible in regards of spending talent points if you will.
    I suggest getting early points straight in to either paragon or whatever the other is called. this will alow you to open up new dialog and conversations with people.
    once you feel you have enough points in start putting them in your weapons and such.

Gl and have funn i loved the trilogy and still play it from 1-3 from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    The pre-WotLK Mind Flay animation. 2nd biggest reason for rolling a Priest, biggest obviously being Shadowform. Anyone who uses Glyph of Shadow should reroll Hunter, filthy blasphemers.

- Try to stick to one "Alignment", as certain options will be closed off to you if you stay middle-of-the-road.
    - The story DLC for 2 and 3 are definitely worth getting as they are generally pretty awesome, and have little bonus things in the third game.
    - Garrus is a bamf.
    - Make sure you do the companion quests in 2, as they are required in order to get the "best" ending for 2.
    - Try and do them as soon as possible, as after a certain point in the game your time in which to do them is limited.
    - Don't stint on ship upgrades in 2. these should be done before weapon upgrades as they are also necessary to get the best ending (with the exception of the probe bay and fuel cells).
    - Mordin is also a bamf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebomb View Post
    I caught myself referring to the shock wave of an explosion as AoE to a senior officer once.

Watch class trailers for the games before you pick them they change a little bit game to game.
    ME1- Brace yourself for the horrid combat
    ME2 - Do all the crew member side quests
    ME3 - Take your time with the game and really enjoy it but the ending is not the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    I've never really played too many RPGs in fact I am pretty new to the genre with Skyrim being my first major "RPG" . Sure I've played COD and Halo but not something like ME.

Would you compare ME to something like Skyrim where its open world or is it something like COD and Halo with missions.
    It's a mix. The missions themselves are fairly linear, but you can choose the order in which you do them for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebomb View Post
    I caught myself referring to the shock wave of an explosion as AoE to a senior officer once.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post

It's kinda neither. The main storyline is fairly linear, but you can do some things in between. Tour your ship, talk to crewmates, do sidemissions, stuff like that. Mind that progressing the storyline might make previous sidemissions unavailable (this is more so in ME3 than in 1 and 2).

I prefer to see the Mass Effect series as an interactive movie.

With all ME games:
    1) Talk to everyone in your crew after every mission. They are somewhere on your ship. This not only gives some of the best dialogue and background story, it also unlocks the important side missions.
    2) I did my 1st playthrough simply making decisions I wanted (middle of the road). Truth is though, playing as full paragon or full renegade unlocks more possibilities for you.

Now....
    ME1) Because the actual game play of ME1 is so horrible, I recommend people rushing through the 1st game just to see the story and set up your decisions. While there are quite a few side quests in this game, I feel like there's only 3 you should do (Wrex's Armor, Varrus' Doctor, Trouble on Lunar).
    ME2) While the game play is still somewhat lacking, I do recommend doing every sidequest here. All the DLC's for this game are really good, but if you're only going to buy 1, Shadow Broker is a must buy DLC.
    ME3) Save the game often.

ESPECIALLY in the second game. There's a specific point late in the story where you still have the option of doing side quests but doing so will change events when you continue the main story.

Get those side quests out of the way early!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay Mass Effect!! Best trilogy ever, imo.

The first advice I have is... DO.NOT.RUSH through the games, even part 1 which admittedly has probably aged the worst in terms of gameplay. You can essentially break the first 2 games in terms of the story being told, and you'll get the worst endings if you rush through 3. Besides there is so much interaction/story/dialogue to be had, as someone above said try and talk to your crew after each mission.

For ME2/ME3, get all the story DLC (Zaeed/Shadow Broker/Kasumi/Arrival/Overlord for ME2, Omega/Leviathan/Citadel for ME3) as it is actually substantial content that is very well done, with all new voiceovers, areas, weapons, and even squadmates/characters. I usually hate DLC, but absolutely feel like I got my money's worth out of Mass Effect's.

Decide early on if you want to go Paragon (good/honorable hero-type character) or Renegade (an asshole who gets the job done no matter what, even if it means killing allies/etc). It profoundly affects your story, and in ME2 it even affects the very appearance of your character! It also dictates many character/squad interactions, for instance if you're really blunt or rude to a squadmate, there's a good chance it will have lasting consequences (no option to romance them for example).

In ME2 and ME3 there are Paragon/Renegade Interrupts, in which you'll either see a blue Mouse Icon or a Red Mouse Icon appear during some events/conversations. The Blue (Paragon) icon allows you to try and reason with people, do something heroic or kind-hearted. The Red (Renegade) icon is where you can be rude, basically tell people to STFU, or often outright kill someone.

While its tempting to try and do a bit of both (as I did in my first couple of playthroughs of ME2) these Interrupts often have lasting consequences, and sometimes they even carry over into ME3.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    if you're only going to buy 1, Shadow Broker is a must buy DLC.
    I agree 100%. Lair of the Shadow Broker is amazing.

don't automatically go either paragon or renegade just because it's paragon or renegade. In ME1 just put points into one of the skills. Yes it's really wasted points min/max wise. But it will allow you to make whatever call you feel is right at the time rather than feeling forced to go 100% one way for dialogue options.

ME2 was the only one where I felt certain options required solely going with only blue/red options (fucking morinth)... but if you do side quests you should be able to rack up enough, especially if you get the DLC (get zaeed.... get him and love the hell out of his voice. may he rest in peace, the big godamn hero)

in ME3 enjoy it. it's the culmination of all the events leading up through ME1 and 2. People may trash the ending but... it's a finale and everyone hates a finale. (and for the love of all that is holy in ME check out the Citadel DLC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Best way to play the game is how you like. That is the point. You will make thousands of choices over the coarse of the game that can change almost any outcome. With ME2 make sure you do all the loyalty missions then follow a guide for the last mission so you get the best outcome for ME3.

Also as other have said get ALL the DLC's. They are fantastic for ME and will add alot more choice changes into all 3 games.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    for the love of all that is holy in ME check out the Citadel DLC)
    THIS. A thousand times this. I loved Citadel soooooo much. It felt like the kind of DLC fans would make, not developers, and I mean that in the best possible way.

- - - Updated - - -

get zaeed.... get him and love the hell out of his voice. may he rest in peace, the big godamn hero
    Aye I read that his VO actor passed away, made me sad. Did you know he's also the guy who played Serris in Galaxy Quest? o_o

10+ Year Old Account
    Start with ME1 of course, as you've said.

Finish all available side missions before doing the main story missions.

Don't kill Wrex, he's awesome

First game, put points into renegade/paragon ASAP for dialogue options, next two games won't require this.

Explore the hubs, especially the Citadel, there are a number of quests hidden around.

And if ME1 seems dull after a while, don't worry, it picks up in ME2.

If you go Paragon, stay Paragon, and the same for if you go Renegade.

Do ME2's Suicide Mission after finishing all loyalty missions

And finally, be careful when you go into the SR-2 Normandy's bathroom, EDI is watching.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    me3 multiplayer demo was fun while it lasted

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    me3 multiplayer demo was fun while it lasted
    I still play quite a bit of ME3 multiplayer, the full game though, not a demo.

Deleted
    Don't listen to those who suggest to rush through/don't play Mass Effect 1. The combat may be clunky but it's in no way horrible like people imply. You get used to it after a few fights and it's quite okayish. Mass Effect 1 also has the best story and characters play in the whole trilogy. Since the main writer for the game left Bioware after ME1, you will see a downhill in quality and the overall story movement after the first game. Mass Effect 2 will feel like a filler since it is a filler. And Mass Effect 3 feels like a cut-up unfinished game. All the games still deserve full play-through, checking out every possible quest and corner.
    don't automatically go either paragon or renegade just because it's paragon or renegade. In ME1 just put points into one of the skills. Yes it's really wasted points min/max wise. But it will allow you to make whatever call you feel is right at the time rather than feeling forced to go 100% one way for dialogue options.
    Except that both paragon and renegade dialogue options will be blocked out if you don't level up either of them.
    Last edited by mmocf002b94213; 2013-09-27 at 08:13 AM.

Your decisions will ultimately matter very little.
    What is your favorite color?

As said take your time do the side missions on the games. Look around talk to your crew after missions and get the DLCs unlike most the do add alot imo. The Combat is clunky in ME1 but from ME2 on its much much better. All and all regardless of how I or others may feel about the ending it is fully worth playing the games and i would rank it among my top favorite trilogy's of all time movies or games.