10+ Year Old Account

Wow - 100% GPU activity + high temp

Hello

i recently begun playing wow again, and i noticed that my graphic card goes fairly high in temp and activity
    it never happened before untill now, my temp idle is 65-70. But at some point in wow it spring to 90+ and 100% activity

it happens after some time in wow, even when i just sit in character screen.

it's a ati radeon 5850

- I made the banner, so feel free to copy and share!

You should probably get some compressed air and dust out your card, because it shouldn't idle at 65-70 degrees.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

make sure the fan on ur gpu is still working. The fan on my gpu failed not long ago, and temperatures shot up extremely quick. Luckily I was able to identify the problem, and shut down my pc before any damage was done and then replaced the fan. It could also be the thermal paste. If you've had the card for awhile, and if its been hitting relatively higher temps than it should, your thermal paste may have dried up. Replacing it is simple and cheap, but I know after having a card for 4 years I replaced the thermal paste on mine and watched temps drop 15-20 degrees. Ask google if you're not sure how to replace it, but I definitely recommend doing so if you've had the card for awhile.

10+ Year Old Account
    i changed the thermal past a couple of days ago, and it seems like the idle temp has gone down significantly
    from 70°-75° to 50°-55°. But still in wow the 100% activity can happen and temps goes immediately 90°

the fan works perfectly fan, i tried to use manual air controll and max it to 100%, and it works fine.

- I made the banner, so feel free to copy and share!

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mercs213 View Post
    Do you have vysnc on
    While he should definitely have vsync on, I would not be surprised if MoP zones in WoW run his 5850 at full load. MoP is very taxing, actually, especially with settings turned up. Hell right now I am in Jade Forest and my 560 Ti is showing:

930MB VRAM used out of 1GB
    95%~ GPU load
    45% Memory controller load
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Hello,

As DeltrusDisc stated above, the new MOP zones are very much detailed and will tax your graphic processor.

You can try and lower some of the graphic settings. I have found reducing the View Distance and Ground clutter to noticeably lower the demand on the GPU.

You can also try and lower the frame-rate that the game is rendered in. (If I am remembering correctly, the slider to set the frame-rate is in the System > Advanced page of the options)

Or you can use the following slash commands to change the frame-rate.

Code:
    /console maxfps 60
    This will restrict the maximum frame-rate to 60fps (or 30fps if vsync is on) when WOW is maximized or is the main window.

Code:
    /console maxfpsbk 20
    This will restrict the maximum frame-rate to 20fps (or 10fps if vsync is on) when WOW is minimized or is alt-tabbed.

As always, ensure that the computer is clean and well ventilated and your GPU drivers are up-to-date.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    MoP is really quite a new thing for WoW in terms of how insane they are.

The trees look pretty damn good, especially from farther away. As such, older GPUs show.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water