Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Honestly, the ideal would be a mix of the two. I liked gated progression telling us a story and building up a place (Quel'danas, 5.1, Isle of Thunder) and I liked the sense of exploration and events of the Timeless Isle. Maybe a gated island that opens with some currency and rep, which we can get from dailies or simple grinding. That way people can open it at their own rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezzik View Post
    I actually liked IoT and its concept a lot more than Timeless Isle. The "sense of adventure" on the isle lasted only the first week for me. Even after the first few days, I knew where everything was..
    Same here... I went for 1 dat to timeless isle, to get some gear. Isle of Thunder, I still go with different chars.
    Some, I too just got bored with TI; don't know what it is; while iot, I still enjoy actually.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Honestly, the ideal would be a mix of the two. I liked gated progression telling us a story and building up a place (Quel'danas, 5.1, Isle of Thunder) and I liked the sense of exploration and events of the Timeless Isle. Maybe a gated island that opens with some currency and rep, which we can get from dailies or simple grinding. That way people can open it at their own rate.
    It's already gated. No cape. No Ordos.

They should gate it with the toughness of mobs, so it's accessible but dangerous. As you gear up, it becomes less dangerous, allowing you to progress through its depths.

IoT was just another waste of time daily quest hub. Timeless Isle is a waste of time run in circles grind fest. Neither are particularly interesting.

I'd give the edge to Timeless Isle though cause I'd prefer to grind then do dailies, plus the items for alts is nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    IoT was okay, but Timeless is tons of fun.

I have rediscovered that I love grinding rep by killing mobs. It reminds me of Timbermaw Rep.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    It's already gated. No cape. No Ordos.

They should gate it with the toughness of mobs, so it's accessible but dangerous. As you gear up, it becomes less dangerous, allowing you to progress through its depths.
    This is actually kind of how it works. All the mobs on the lower part of the island are kind of easy to kill and the mobs have more or harder mechanics as you get closer to Ordos. You can't really gate it by gear though because then you just need to group to kill it.

I like both, but can't wonder how good it could be if they combined both of them. Imagine IoT, but with more rares and chests and puzzles! Have the rares drop a few VP (like 5), have the emperor give out the daily quests and have each give a few rep and suddenly you have the option of either doing the dailies or just rare farming (or both) for the same reward.

I think in general they should more often give people choices on how they want to gear up rather than forcing one playstyle. If I want to farm dungeons for my VP, why can't I do it? Just balance the amount of rewards you get based on the time/effort it takes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally I despise Isle of Thunder, and have no idea when I am suppose to finnish off that place because of that. It's terrible. You are free to disagree though .

Good thing they've managed to create content for different tastes.

I like the timeless isle better myself.

It feels more optional than the isle of thunder, and it's the kind of place you can skip a few days of going there, then go there one day and get whatever you want or need done while you have the time, and not worry about going back for another few days. Whereas dailies by nature force you to do them every single day and missing a day, sets you back a day in your progress. That is bad design. By contrast the timeless isle is more about do it when you have the time. You can progress as fast or as slow as you want without that "you must do this every day" feel to it.

Also as a pet collector Timeless isle offers unlimited pet biscuits for just timeless coins, which its easy to get tens of thousands of with little effort. It also has a huge number of new pets there, including the celestial tournament and those pets.

So yeah, I like timeless isle a lot better.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

I agree that the Isle of Thunder was better the Timeless Isle is nothing but a tiny island with a poor layout that is full of mobs that already exist elsewhere in the game and the only reason to kill these mobs over the existing mobs is to grind out rep, at geological pace, or coins that can be used to purchase a rather limited section of items, many of which are useless to player by the time they enough coins to buy anything. It is probably the dullest, most unimaginative and I dare say lazy bit of content added to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Castochi View Post
    Timeless Isle is awesome. My only two qualms about it are that Rares are too weak and by the time I get there they're already dead. Rares should scale in health with the number of players attacking it and each rare should take at least 2-3 minutes to kill, .

I thought so too initially until the giant rock golem rare spawned and about 30 seconds into it people were just swarming in, and i eventually started lagging so hard that I d/ced lol.

isle of thunder was never fun. timeless isle was fun for the first week, thats the only difference for me. maybe if they added like 3 dungeons instead of stupid treasure looting, 5.4 would be one of the best patches ever

Isle of Thunder had a story and a purpose.

Timeless Isle just feels like running around in circles killing "rares" (not really rare per se when it spawns 20 times an hour) and killing for coins. Just feels like a huge grindfest. An open world idea that could be fun, but needs to be refined heavily. Also, it should have been much, much bigger. It feels tiny and cramped overall.

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    This is actually kind of how it works. All the mobs on the lower part of the island are kind of easy to kill and the mobs have more or harder mechanics as you get closer to Ordos. You can't really gate it by gear though because then you just need to group to kill it.
    However, while I understand what you're trying to say, the cloak isn't actually proof that the character you're on is ready and able to perform properly against the more difficult mobs or Ordos since the access is shared on the whole account. Which makes it kinda meh, I'd have preferred it if only characters wearing a cloak would be accepted.

Well at least there was more to do than grinding mobs and waiting for rares on Isle of Thunder. There was some visible progress with the solo scenarios, and the reputation part of Timeless Isle was the worst (recycled) idea Blizzard came up with in years. With that, the improper execution of events and lacking use of shared loot for mobs, Timeless Isle got old within the first two weeks.

Also, while it's more a discrepancy than a problem, I don't quite get why everything Blizzard designs for endgame PvE outside of raids has to hit like a truck against all armor classes alike when everything up to that point can't be called damage even for clothies. Doesn't really make sense. Where is your difficulty curve now?
    Last edited by The Kao; 2013-09-27 at 09:03 AM.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Good point. :/

Still it does sort of acts like a gate.

It's possible too to make the elites hard enough that a 5-man group /w tanks and heals will wipe.

Or just make the mobs ignore threat, i.e. randomized aggro table. So you must be strong enough to solo the mob because tanks won't be able to help you. If you want to be particularly vicious, just make healing another player sent you to the top of that player's mobs' aggro table.

10+ Year Old Account
    Timeless Isle is a lot better in general although IoT wasn't bad either. IoT had better story, that's about it IMO. Everything else, timeless isle does better.

Timeless isle gets more and more boring for me every time I go there. I didn't start to feel that way on Isle of Thunder until after Nalak was unlocked.

both had their pros and cons but the Isle of Thunder has a lot more longevity in my opinion due to the questline, dailies and weekly events like treasure run and incantations. though I prefer the way the 5.1 questchains opened up gradually over the approach on IoT where you get all the scenarios and then the quests if you're late to the island

Timeless Isle is fun but given that 99% of the chests aren't repeatable, the only dailies are a pet battle and easy lore trivia both with poor rewards and the rest is just grinding mobs and camping rares the fun turns to tedium rather quickly

Deleted
    Why would you be wrong?

While the Timeless Isle is infinitely more beautiful than the dreary Isle of Thunder, I did enjoy the events on IoT more. Timeless Isle is too big of a ganking/zerging/rarespamfest clusterfuck to me.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    OT: Well at least there was more to do than grinding mobs and waiting for rares on Isle of Thunder. There was some visible progress with the solo scenarios, and the reputation part of Timeless Isle was the worst (recycled) idea Blizzard came up with in years. With that, the improper execution of events and lacking use of shared loot for mobs, Timeless Isle got old within the first two weeks.
    Such zones need to be more "dynamic". I don't agree with the phrasing stuff though - awkward and splits the player base.

What I would like to see is player actions directly changing the environment, e.g. Killing a mist monster causes the maze-like fog (no matter which direction in the fog you walk, you come out where you came in; basically impassible) to part allowing a shortcut to an area. The monster of course respawns so the fog will be back sooner or later.

The zones need to be interactive "functioning state machines" instead of the static set-in-stone dead worlds we have now.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2013-09-27 at 09:22 AM.