Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    i wouldn't say it was more fun, it just had dailies that kept you going back everyday and doing something consistent.

with the timeless isle after getting gear for all your alts and doing achievements you find yourself just running about looking for rares which can be boring, atleast with dailies you're not waiting around and can do it as quick as you feel like

Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    When does the small chests respawn?
    The majority of chests will only spawn once per character. Only the chests that count for the achievements "Where there's pirates, there's booty" and "Extreme Treasure Hunter" respawn (once a week). The rest is just one time only, though there are a lot more moss covered chests than the 17 the achievement requires. Would have been better if all chests respawned weekly, but only have the guaranteed stuff the first time you ever open it (so you wouldn't get a guaranteed Burden each week just by looting a chest).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
    Sometimes it feels like we are dealing with the devil. Players suggest having options to grinding rep for gear/rewards and blizz gives us the timeless isle. You grind less and gear falls more plentifully, however if you want Shao-hao faction rep well....the devil makes you pay. Blizzard never gives something freely without taking something away and usually it hurts more.
    I'd like it if there were a few dailies that gave you a reasonable amount of rep per day (not 250/275 like with Shaohao) but there was also the option to slay some schmucks for extra rep if you felt a desire to get exalted in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    Every single solitary thing about Isle of Thunder was better designed, implemented, executed, and most of all enjoyable than WasteofTime Isle is. OP, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

The ONLY thing better on Timeless is the tournament and the world bosses. Beyond that, however, I had much more fun on Isle of Thunder unlocking the story than I did on Timeless Isle killing Garnia 30 times before finally getting my damn Ruby Droplet. Never going to that lake ever again. Ever. And the worse part is that I still have 10 more pets left to get.

Sunreaver Micro Sentry, in contrast, took me killing it's appropriate rarespawn three times to get that pet. Which left me far more time to enjoy other aspects of the Isle.
    I hate the damn troll quests on IoT, but I definitely agree with you about the pets. So far I got one drop and one I bought cheap on the AH that doesn't count for the achievement. I even go at 5am since I have horrible insomnia, they just don't drop for me.

Neither was spectacular but IoT for sure had more content and paced it better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have spent a ton of time on Timless isle so far where as I barely did anything on isle of thunder. I like this way more than dailies.

For me, dailies are what makes current content playable. The Timeless Isle is a couple week's worth of standing of rushing around competing with strangers to get a single hit on a mob before they kill it and AFK'ing at Huolon. Isle of Thunder was questing with easily trackable rewards and the only thing you were competing with was your own ability not to pull every Mogu or Troll in the area.

My favorite point of this game, ever, was 5.0.4.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    You're free to like whatever you want to like. There is nothing wrong with liking IoT over the Timeless Isle.
    Comes down to personal opinion. Personally I think both suck. But TI sucking is more an issue of its design, not its base philosophy.

Personally I hope next expansion the whole continent is Timeless Island. Rather than having one secluded zone for "dynamic content."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I believe the Shaohao rep is supposed to be slow so that people aren't finished in a day and then say "ok time to unsub til next expac." It's the final area of the expansion, so if you're not totally into raiding, at least there's something to log in for every few days, kill a few mobs and get some rep. And if there were some super tough mobs that gave huge rep gains, people would just demand they get nerfed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like Timeless Isle simply for the gear it gives, but I prefer IoT in the end. In IoT, you could do anything alone and still get the best rewards, rares were not mandatory since you could get the same items from one treasure chest that was easy to find. In Timeless Isle, the best rewards are from rares. The problem here is that the good rares are usually dead within a minute after being engaged. I can never reach them in time and always find their corpse when I arrive. It feels like my experience and rewards are being stolen from me by players of both factions.

IoT was and is certainly more integral to the story, and was more in-depth quest-wise as well. TI is fun for what it is as well, and is a bit of a different experience. I like the long-term grind that it puts forth, like that some of the mobs are pretty fun to take a stab at solo, etc.

Both have their place. For a lot of players TI will last longer than IoT did.

Quote Originally Posted by ZakAtack View Post
    I believe the Shaohao rep is supposed to be slow so that people aren't finished in a day and then say "ok time to unsub til next expac." It's the final area of the expansion, so if you're not totally into raiding, at least there's something to log in for every few days, kill a few mobs and get some rep. And if there were some super tough mobs that gave huge rep gains, people would just demand they get nerfed.
    Although I think this is Blizzard's reasoning I honestly doubt that Shaohao rep is going to stop many if anyone from unsubscribing not only is the activity of grinding the rep pretty boring and incredibly time consuming the rewards are for becoming exalted are rather poor especially as you can already get a similar looking mount within a few hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed TI more just for the scenery and looks, however I feel IoT had more to do overall and I liked that it was just simply bigger.

Did IoT for two months (granted just summons/keys/rares in the end, but still), did TI for two days before getting bored. Think that sums up how I feel.

TI is fun but it should be 3-4 times bigger

I think IoT had better story and atmosphere, but I think I like IoE better cause IT HAS NO DAILIES

Yet I still think 5 mans are miles better
    Last edited by PrairieChicken; 2013-09-28 at 07:45 PM.

Isle of Thunder had trolls... so.. many... fucking... god forsaken... trolls.

That is like a (-1) factor to my fun formula and results in me hating the bloody thing more than it warrants.. The Timeless Isle is shitty overall, content and lore wise, and I'm already mostly done with it's boring content, well except the retarded grind for Shaohao which I won't do activley, except when hanging out with a bunch of guildies in TS. I have a really hard time deciding which I hate more, but considering the Isle is mostly useless to me and I don't feel any obligation to do it for gear (unlike IoT), yeah.. I guess The Useless Isle wins by a crutch's length.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze148 View Post
    Timeless Isle for the freeflow feel of the content, i like the lack of monotonous dailies that you rinse and repeat over and over again.

Isle of Thunder for the exact opposite reasons, the way the quests were structured and gated made me feel like i was working towards something, another carrot on the stick.

Timeless Isle i feel like once the shine wears off, once ive killed X Rare for the 200th time, seen all the sights i can see Isle of Thunder will come out as better content for the long haul for me, but in terms of retaining my interest in the short term, Timeless is doing that very thing...wouldnt have been keen to slog thru a whole other set of dailies yet again for 5.4.

Minor gripes, i feel some of the "get out of this mechanic" abilities of the mobs on timeless are way too hard as it stands for some specs/classes. But Isle of Thunder was too easy, i want a balance of tuning between these two ideals.

And whoever cooked up Bloody Coins faction killing needs to be hung out and dried, i like PvP contests between opposing factions, but griefing and ganking your own faction really has left me gobsmacked... /rant.

TLDR: Isle of Thunder in retrospect as a whole, Timeless Isle for breath of fresh air factor
    I completely agree with this. I loved how you unlocked the IOT by working together as a community. I also love how you can run around TI and do whatever you want. Both styles work, but visually I prefer the Timeless Isle.

The main issue with Timeless Isle is that it's a zone based around exploration... which is also very small. These two facts represent a contradiction in design philosophy which is highly detrimental. Choosing to experiment with a new form of content while simultaneously outright stating that the zone designers are busy with next expansion stuff didn't work out so well in retrospect. For an exploration-based sandbox content hub to work, there simply has to be a ton of different content spread across a large zone. The Isle of Thunder would have worked fine for open-world exploration, for instance, as there is simple far more locales there.

As it stands, Timeless Isle is way too small for what it attempts to be, and thus ends up feeling like the devs awkwardly attempting to feed us a halfcooked spoonful of the delicious meal they'll be serving next expansion when they have actually developed larger areas around the same sandbox design principles.
    This is my signature. You will now remember me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed with above ^

I still like Timeless Isle more, especially from a PvP point of view, and a removal of dailies point of view, and the fact that I'm utterly and completely sick to death of trolls, but it's simply too small for what it's trying to do. Sure, it groups people up more, but there's nowhere NEAR enough mystery.

I just hope Blizzard doesn't simply see it as a failure from a model point of view, when they could have done it so much better.