Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by flens View Post
    and keep in mind that some quality companies are going to sell their stuff under another name just to get rid of it... i myself bought an arctic cooling r550 f or something similiar which actually is an seasonic psu... so there are cheap sales on quality stuff
    Seasonic is a well known OEM that makes a PSUs for a whole slew of companies. I have a feeling that the R550 is built off of one of Seasonic's first platforms before they became the go-to PSU OEM.

The R550 is rated for 550W but is only rated for 408W on the 12V rail. The R550 is also not 80+ certified.

When's the last time Seasonic made a non 80+ certified PSU?

Source: http://realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page834.htm

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Seasonic is a well known OEM that makes a PSUs for a whole slew of companies. I have a feeling that the R550 is built off of one of Seasonic's first platforms before they became the go-to PSU OEM.

The R550 is rated for 550W but is only rated for 408W on the 12V rail. The R550 is also not 80+ certified.

When's the last time Seasonic made a non 80+ certified PSU?

Source: http://realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page834.htm
    it is actually a 80+ psu that just doesnt have the official certifikation

Quote Originally Posted by ferris View Post
    calso a good rule of thumb for choosing a psu: use an online calculator to figure out your computers watt usage. take that number and double it. all the citifications i talk about above are based off 50% load.
    Don't do this. At most you will want an extra 10% over what a calculator suggests, beyond that, you are wasting watts. The certifications are based on 30%, 50%, and 80% load.

Most calculators already include headroom (to account for low-quality PSUs); if you were to get a higher quality PSU, you could actually cut back on the wattage a calculator suggests by up to 10% (based on Newegg's wattage calculator anyway).