View Poll Results: Should Race/Class combos be unlocked in the next expac?

Voters
267. This poll is closed
  • Yes - Sounds like fun.

120 44.94%
  • No - Violates lore.

147 55.06%
Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Unlocking Race/Class Combos: Next Expansion

So, I've been asking on the official forums for awhile now about Race/Class unlocks in the next expansion allowing for combinations such as Gnome Hunter, Undead Paladin, and Draenei warlocks. Sadly, the only responses I would get were those of the Blizzard white knights and their LoL-Lore Crusade. I get it, it goes against the story. Kinda like a Draenei Shadow Priest, and Undead Holy Priest, or a Night Elf Mage, all of which had lore stretched to explain them.

I've even offered to pay to race change my Pally, Druid, Hunter, and Shaman all to Gnomes the MINUTE it is available. So, any thoughts? Should Race/Class combos be unlocked? If so, do we go one step further and unlock Factions as well?

I want to be a Worgen Paladin.

10+ Year Old Account
    You may not like having races be somewhat unique from each other, but lots of other people do. And yes, they could explain away anything if they wanted to. They could give us gnome and undead druids or murloc and tauren (oops) paladins and have it then "make sense", but that'd be stupid. If you don't agree, that's your opinion and we'll have to agree to disagree. And I'm not a Blizzard white knight, I think they've done plenty of stupid things to the "story" of WoW and don't really even care where the narrative is headed, but I do care somewhat for what is actually left of a once-upon-a-time okay universe.
    Look! Words!

If you don't like lore then don't play an RPG. There should never be draenei warlocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    You may not like having races be somewhat unique from each other, but lots of other people do. And yes, the could explain away anything if they wanted to. They could give us gnome and undead druids or murloc paladins and have it then "make sense", but that'd be stupid. If you don't agree, that's your opinion and we'll have to agree to disagree.
    Fair enough. I like options, and I am sure I am not alone on that. I'm just trying to get an idea if this will ever even come to pass. Would love to have my Gnome Paladin and Gnome Druid.

Blood Elf Druid
    Forsaken Paladin
    Gnome Paladin
    Night Elf Warlock
    Last edited by iadamson; 2013-09-27 at 07:56 PM.

gnome paladin omg would love that

10+ Year Old Account
    Undead paladin...?

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    To a certain extent, yes. Undead being paladins, night elfs being warlocks.....i could go on but some of these would be ridiculous to have. A gnome hunter would be fine to me though.

Since lore is basically put in the game to placate a certain kind of gamer (just like raids and arenas and LFR), I have no problem with violating it. I'm in favor, but just make all class/race combinations available from the start.

The problem with making every race being able to be every class is that it takes a lot of work, simply because of the one sinner: Druids. If Druids need to keep on having unique looking forms for each race, they'll get busy as all hell. Heck, how would an Orc Cat look like? Why can a Dwarf turn into a Moonkin? Goblins are literally the enemies of nature with all of their oil waste and bombing Azshara just because, so why should they be able to embrace nature? There's a lot of problems with exactly that class.

My point is, there has to be drawn a line somewhere, and I think we're sitting pretty tightly right now. Sure a few more options would be cool, but we really don't need a lot more. We've already come a long way since Paladins and Shamans were faction exclusive, and I'm happy with where we are now in regards to race/class combos.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2013-09-27 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I get it, it goes against the story. Kinda like a Draenei Shadow Priest, and Undead Holy Priest, or a Night Elf Mage, all of which had lore stretched to explain them.
    I pay a lot of attention to the story, but I totally agree with you about this. The introduction of Draenei destroyed any argument that any race is unsuited, Death Knights destroyed any argument that any class is unsuited, and Sunwalkers destroyed any argument that any new race/class combination is unsuited. We all take those things for granted now, but each was unprecedented and came with either huge retcons or never before imagined story hooks at the time. History has shown us that if Blizzard wants something to happen, nothing will stand in their way in justifying it.

Personally, I really want to be able to make a Draenei Warlock. I really don't see what's the big deal. We know Warlocks don't have to be evil or work with the Legion (or they wouldn't be playable for anyone), and the Draenei, if they're as good as they pretend, should be able to tolerate that. If Night Elves can let Highborne back into the fold, I don't see why the Draenei cannot accept brothers and sisters fighting fire with fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heenk View Post
    Since lore is basically put in the game to placate a certain kind of gamer (just like raids and arenas and LFR), I have no problem with violating it. I'm in favor, but just make all class/race combinations available from the start.
    If they ever make a WoW2, I'm sure there are a LOT of things they will do differently.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    I pay a lot of attention to the story, but I totally agree with you about this. The introduction of Draenei destroyed any argument that any race is unsuited, Death Knights destroyed any argument that any class is unsuited, and Sunwalkers destroyed any argument that any new race/class combination is unsuited. We all take those things for granted now, but each was unprecedented and came with either huge retcons or never before imagined story hooks at the time. History has shown us that if Blizzard wants something to happen, nothing will stand in their way in justifying it.

Personally, I really want to be able to make a Draenei Warlock. I really don't see what's the big deal. We know Warlocks don't have to be evil or work with the Legion (or they wouldn't be playable for anyone), and the Draenei, if they're as good as they pretend, should be able to tolerate that. If Night Elves can let Highborne back into the fold, I don't see why the Draenei cannot accept brothers and sisters fighting fire with fire.
    Agreed. I think you should be able to make a red skinned Draenei warlock (Eredar) and have FUN in this videogame

Tauren Rogue. Yes!!!

The only horde races I play are undead, blood elf and tauren. Tauren only for tanks.

I really want shaman and druid blood elves/undead.

10+ Year Old Account
    undead paladin doesnt violate lore, and i would looooove to be something different than blood elf. tauren paladins violate lore and yet theyre in the game..(aside from the shit lore they wrote in for it to make sense)
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Undead paladin...?
    Sort of already exists, doesn't it? ^^

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=30202#abilities

Personally I would love to see:
    Gnome Druids
    Gnome Hunters
    Night Elf Warlocks
    Blood Elf Shamans

still don't get the ban on human druids .... (not even the 1/1 2/2 balance can stand this as they can go with orcs (shaman--->druid) or belf (magic wielders in all forms of it) )

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    So, I've been asking on the official forums for awhile now about Race/Class unlocks in the next expansion allowing for combinations such as Gnome Hunter, Undead Paladin, and Draenei warlocks. Sadly, the only responses I would get were those of the Blizzard white knights and their LoL-Lore Crusade. I get it, it goes against the story. Kinda like a Draenei Shadow Priest, and Undead Holy Priest, or a Night Elf Mage, all of which had lore stretched to explain them.

I've even offered to pay to race change my Pally, Druid, Hunter, and Shaman all to Gnomes the MINUTE it is available. So, any thoughts? Should Race/Class combos be unlocked? If so, do we go one step further and unlock Factions as well?
    Undead Paladin doesnt fit into the lore at all. It will never happen and should never happen. (even though ive always wanted one too)
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anathaema View Post
    still don't get the ban on human druids .... (not even the 1/1 2/2 balance can stand this as they can go with orcs (shaman--->druid) or belf (magic wielders in all forms of it) )
    Well, technically the Gilneans were HUMAN Druids prior to being bitten. They had to have learned it from somewhere

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ambushu View Post
    Undead Paladin doesnt fit into the lore at all. It will never happen and should never happen. (even though ive always wanted one too)
    If you want something bad enough, it never hurts to ask