Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Which Sennheiser headset should I get? + should I buy a soundcard?

My current Sennheiser is breaking down after 5 years so I'm looking for something new. I initially bought a Corsair Vengeance 1500, but after I had tried one did not like it and returned it. Therefore I'm thinking of getting a Sennheiser, I just do not know what suits me best.

- PC 350 vs PC 360
    or
    - PC 323D vs PC 333D

I'm leaning towards the PC 360 because it's highly regarded everywhere. I'm wondering, however, what the difference is with the PC 350?

I'm also looking at the Sennheiser PC 323D or 333D as an option because they come with a virtual 3d driver. I only have an onboard sound card (an ASUS H87M-E with onboard Realtek ALC887) and do not know if that is enough to get some decent sound out of the 360. Should I opt for the PC 323/333, or go for the 360​​?

I like the 350 SE pretty well. I am no audio expert, but I use mine with just a onboard soundcard and don't hear a difference versus using a separate sound card.

Here is a comparison between the 350 and 360. My main reason for choosing the 350 over the 360 was the 350 blocks outside sound.

The only thing I don't like about them is they appear and feel quite flimsy given the high price.

Deleted
    Superlux HMC 660 X is probably just as good.

If you like the Sennheiser sound I'd recommend just getting a set like the 558's and a separate mic.

Deleted
    @Mugafo: the 350 SE is 40euro more expensive in the Netherlands, and I don't think it's worth it. The PC 360 is already expensive for me at 160, don't want to spend more. Besides, I think I prefer an open instead of closed headset.

@looz: I've never heared of that headset before, but I really want a headset that has the ability to mute the microphe and adjust the volume somewhere on the headset; either in the headset itself or somewhere on the cord.

@Cows For Life: I don't want a headphone + mic combi. I understand the advantages, but I'm set on getting a headset (pun not intended) with possibly a soundcard.

PC350 is closed design, ie. it blocks sound going in and out of the headphones while PC360 is open, that is the main difference between those two.

PC360 is also more compatible with lower end soundcards and even high end motherboard audio because it has much lower impedance so it doesn't need as good headphone amplifier. PC350 is more "solid" build with rigid materials, while PC360 has soft plastics that can be bent and twisted without fear of anything breaking easily but it also feels more flimsy in hand (not in use) for that reason.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I would recommend getting a separate headphones and speakers. I have had two different Sennheiser headsets and the mics went on both of them in less than a year, and I treat my shit really well, fortunately both the headphones themself still work and sound great so I still get use out of them but it defeats the purpose of having a headset. They have really good sounds but in my experience their microphone quality is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    I would recommend getting a separate headphones and speakers. I have had two different Sennheiser headsets and the mics went on both of them in less than a year, and I treat my shit really well, fortunately both the headphones themself still work and sound great so I still get use out of them but it defeats the purpose of having a headset. They have really good sounds but in my experience their microphone quality is terrible.
    The mics on my previous headsets were the first part to breakdown as well. Long term it's the part that is most likely to stop working long before everything else simply by virtue of its design.

I have sennheiser hd 598s. One of the best gaming/music headphones, no mic tho.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    PC350 is closed design, ie. it blocks sound going in and out of the headphones while PC360 is open, that is the main difference between those two.

PC360 is also more compatible with lower end soundcards and even high end motherboard audio because it has much lower impedance so it doesn't need as good headphone amplifier. PC350 is more "solid" build with rigid materials, while PC360 has soft plastics that can be bent and twisted without fear of anything breaking easily but it also feels more flimsy in hand (not in use) for that reason.
    Thanks for the awnser. In that case I'll go for the PC 360 with a soundcard to suppor it. Only question now is; what's a decent affordable soundcard that enables me surround sound but doesn't cost an additional 100 bucks?

get this soundcard Creative Sound Blaster Z its $104.99 and it has build in headphone amplifier.

im using one and its the best sound i have ever had in my comp. my last Card was a x-fi Fatal1ty Card and compared to that its a Whole new World of sound for me now.
    im running it with a Sennheiser pc360 and it awesome
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

I went with the X-Fi Titanium HD and the Sennheiser PC360. My only complaint with the sound card was the driver support. The windows 8 driver was buggy for a bit before getting ironed out but now I am back on windows 7 so it doesn't matter. Lately I have been using the Logitech g930 headset primarily. Better mic and sound is very good. Battery life around 12 hours.

I went with the X-Fi titanium HD because it has a built in headphone amp. The 360 doesn't need to be powered but you definitely get more volume and sound, so it doesn't hurt.

Asus Xonad DG or DGX for cheap headphone-amplified card. No need to pay $100 for it. Difference between the two is PCI vs PCI-Express connector.

I got the PCI version because it's cheaper and it works great with Sennheiser PC-360's.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Creative has terrible drivers and have for 15 years... at least.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotuso View Post
    @looz: I've never heared of that headset before, but I really want a headset that has the ability to mute the microphe and adjust the volume somewhere on the headset; either in the headset itself or somewhere on the cord.
    Well, if you're willing to pay triple the money for that, go ahead.

Superlux is a surprisingly good brand which copies major manufacturers like AKG and Beyerdynamic. At least its hd681 and HD-660 match the headphones they mimic in sound quality. The build quality isn't as good but they aren't exactly flimsy either.

I'd recommend going with the Asus sound cards, they will be more than enough for the headset you're getting. Both cards linked by vesseblah support Dolby Headphone so they can do virtual surround for your headset. I would also recommend avoiding any Creative sound card like the plague, I have a Creative based Auzentech sound card and OS updates for whatever reason (brand new OS, new service packs) basically get no or barely minimal driver support.

I would say though that maybe when this headset breaks to give a headphone/mic combo a try. There are plenty of clip on or attachable mics in the market so it's not like you'd have to get a table top mic. I used to use a pair of Shure SRH440's and a zalman mic, and when the leather on my Shures finally wore out I decided to get a Logitech G430 headset. The difference in sound quality has left me pretty disappointed with the G430 and I will go back to a headphone/mic combo when these break (or when I break down and go buy new headphones, whichever comes first).

I don't get the people in here that tell the OP to get a pair of Sennheiser HD headphones instead of a pc 360, the pc 360 is basically a pair of Sennheiser HD headphones just with a mic attached ( hence the price on the PC 360, internally it's the same sound quality as a HD 500 series )

Apart from the HD 598, but that got released after the pc 360 afaik and is in a different price range.

Quote Originally Posted by FluFF View Post
    I don't get the people in here that tell the OP to get a pair of Sennheiser HD headphones instead of a pc 360, the pc 360 is basically a pair of Sennheiser HD headphones just with a mic attached ( hence the price on the PC 360, internally it's the same sound quality as a HD 500 series )

Apart from the HD 598, but that got released after the pc 360 afaik and is in a different price range.
    A lot of us know from experience that the mic on a headset will almost always break or stop working long before the rest of the thing expires.

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    A lot of us know from experience that the mic on a headset will almost always break or stop working long before the rest of the thing expires.
    Well I had my pc 360 2 years now and the mic is still crystal clear on voice coms, then again it was a 180+ GBP headset back then and I don't throw my shit around the room when I take it off, might prolong the life expectancy.

Quote Originally Posted by FluFF View Post
    Well I had my pc 360 2 years now and the mic is still crystal clear on voice coms, then again it was a 180+ GBP headset back then and I don't throw my shit around the room when I take it off, might prolong the life expectancy.
    Yes because everyone that has a mic break is because they step on it daily. Give me a break. There's a reason why it always breaks first and it's because of the moving parts of the mechanism.