Why resident evil changed and what RE4 could have been

So in a recent interview the Resident evil creator voiced his reasoning behind changing RE from a Horror game to an action game. He said its becuase the resident evil remakes for gamecube never sold well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo_hMbJQeU4

is what RE4 could have been.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/27/wh...ror-to-action/

Link to the article.

As a huge RE fan iv been pretty upset after 4 at the massive change to a action game. RE4 and beyond may have been good games, but they were in no way resident evil games. I miss the old survival horro its a nitch you dont see dont well anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    whatever they do surely its still shooting/hacking/punching a zombie/mutant to a second death..

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it's hard to actually be scared by anything anymore in terms of the horror genre. Either in movies or in games. It's always been a niche thing to a certain degree not sure how relevant it is anymore although you see them pump these movies out like every week. *shrug* guys taking their dates to get laid? The last game that genuinely scared me was maybe silent hill? I'd have to think about that one it's been awhile to be honest.

I enjoyed RE4 and 5 not as much 6 but it was okay. Formulas just getting old.

A REMAKE of a a HORROR game on a NINTENDO platform doesnt sell well. Better completely change the focus of our best franchises.
    Its really hard to see why capcom is in financial trouble.

As someone who grew up with the RE1 and up I have to say the only thing scary about the older REs was the camera angles. RE4 was my favorite for the camera alone other than that tension wise they were about the same although I did not really care for someone of the over abundant quick time events.

Deleted
    yeah the resi remakes didn't sell well on the gamecube was probably because .... it was on the gamecube. if they came out on the ps2 it would have sold tons im sure.

Capcom don't understand the market imo

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    yeah the resi remakes didn't sell well on the gamecube was probably because .... it was on the gamecube. if they came out on the ps2 it would have sold tons im sure.

Capcom don't understand the market imo
    I would say it being a remake also had a great impact. I cant really imagine horror games make for good remakes. I borrowed it from a friend and returned it 1-2 days later. Its just not the same if you know whats behind the next door, even if it looks much more detailed. I was never scared from the looks of the creatures, it was the surprise of them jumping through glass, grasping through windows,.... If you know thats going to happen in this and that room, it takes much from the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    I find it's hard to actually be scared by anything anymore in terms of the horror genre. Either in movies or in games. It's always been a niche thing to a certain degree not sure how relevant it is anymore although you see them pump these movies out like every week. *shrug* guys taking their dates to get laid? The last game that genuinely scared me was maybe silent hill? I'd have to think about that one it's been awhile to be honest.

I enjoyed RE4 and 5 not as much 6 but it was okay. Formulas just getting old.
    something gamespot recently did is talking about scary games and the eventual conclusion is that you get scared more when the game/movie w.e tells you something scary is going to happen but not when so your basically on edge the entire time till it happens and then it freaks you the fuck out

10+ Year Old Account
    Bunch of crock, and he must have foresight 5 inches from his nose. RE didn't sell well on Gamecube because 1. exclusive, sellout contract deal which always cuts sales and 2. on a console that established RE fans didn't play.

You would think they would have 1 guy in the building who could easily point this out to a board of morons.

Conclusion: he just making excuses or he's really that dumb.