Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Heroes of the Storm - My Theory

What ho,

So Heroes of the Storm is now also a US Trademark, filed by Rod A. Rigole. We know, then, that it is a real Blizzard game.

Screenshot of the trademark found here.
    Alternatively, you can search for yourself here.

The major difference between the Heroes of the Storm Trademark and established WoW expansion trademarks lies in the 'Goods and Services' descriptions.
    These have changed slightly from expansion to expansion, and the major detail setting Heroes of the Storm apart from the rest is the sentence highlighted in red here.

Computer game software, computer game discs, downloadable computer game software, computer game software downloadable from a global computer network, interactive multimedia computer game program; Downloadable electronic game software for use on portable electronic devices such as mobile and cellular phones, laptops, handheld computers, and tablet PCs.
    PROBLEM 1 - Mobile?

The text in red could potentially be seen as evidence as to why this is likely to be a Hearthstone content pack, or even Blizzard All-Stars renamed. But it doesn't have to be. That particular sentence could simply be referring to a Pet-Battle mobile app to go along with the expansion, further Auction House and Armory mobile integration, or even the potential of all of WoW being ported to iOS and Android within a year.

We simply do not know. What we do know is that the text in red isn't really evidence for anything.

PROBLEM 2 - Name?

The name itself, Heroes of the Storm, is described as bad or even ridiculous by many. It doesn't fit, or it doesn't follow the ordinary naming convention, it is said. While I can agree with this in a sense, I would also like to point something out.

A year back, during the Mists of Pandaria launch event on-stage in the US, Chris Metzen took tweets from fans around the globe. One of those tweets were from me, and it read like this:

Turalyon and Alleria forever to be MIA? What news from the Twisting nether? For Lothar!

To which Metzen gave a long and slightly avoiding response, as if under NDA. Eventually, he said:

[...] however [...] in terms of what's coming next, you're gonna need their help.

So what do we know of the missing Alliance heroes?

Well, shortly put, they both disappeared after the Second War and the invasion of Draenor (now Outland). It is said they went through portals to other worlds as the planet collapsed around them, and never came back.

I find it very reasonable to believe that they have been waging a guerilla war of sorts against the Burning Legion, somewhere in the Twisting Nether. Perhaps even on Argus. I also find it likely that they have both veterans from Azeroth, as well as new recruits with them.

In a time when the Burning Legion returns to Azeroth in their full might, laying siege to our world - who will we turn to?

They are...

The Heroes of the Storm

Deleted
    Well, parts of WoW could be accesible on mobile phones, such as pet battles.
    The name already made sense to me when I heared about a possible Turalyon/Alleria appereance.
    I can't remember where I once read it, but I read that before Blizz came up with MoP, they had already thought out the next xpac, but decided to push is after MoP. Might also be the reason they put in the loading screen tip.
    Last edited by mmoc1cb88fe73b; 2013-09-28 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    What ho,

So Heroes of the Storm is now also a US Trademark, filed by Rod A. Rigole. We know, then, that it is a real Blizzard game.

Screenshot of the trademark found here.
    Alternatively, you can search for yourself here.

The major difference between the Heroes of the Storm Trademark and established WoW expansion trademarks lies in the 'Goods and Services' descriptions.
    These have changed slightly from expansion to expansion, and the major detail setting Heroes of the Storm apart from the rest is the sentence highlighted in red here.
    There are other differences as well:

HotS:

Computer game software, computer game discs, downloadable computer game software, computer game software downloadable from a global computer network, interactive multimedia computer game program; Downloadable electronic game software for use on portable electronic devices such as mobile and cellular phones, laptops, handheld computers, and tablet PCs

TBC:

computer game software; computer game software and manuals sold as a unit; interactive video game programs; interactive computer game programs, downloadable computer game software, downloadable interactive entertainment software for playing computer games, downloadable interactive entertainment software for playing video games; pre-recorded CD-ROMs, DVDs, compact discs, featuring entertainment related to games and music

Wrath:

Computer game software and related instruction manuals and guides sold together as a unit; downloadable computer game software; interactive multimedia computer game program; mouse pads

Cata:

Computer game software and related instruction manuals and guides sold together as a unit; downloadable computer game software; interactive multimedia computer game program; mousepads

Mists:

Computer game software; computer game discs; computer game software and related instruction manuals and guides sold together as a unit; downloadable computer game software; computer game software downloadable from a global computer network; downloadable electronic games via the internet and wireless devices; interactive multimedia computer game program; mousepads

There is no mention of manuals or mousepads, though to be fair there was no mention of mousepads for TBC either, and TBC differed significantly from their other trademark filings. The again TBC was also their first WoW expansion so that might have had something to do with it. I'm not sure what HotS is, but I personally don't think it's a WoW expansion. I think it's either Hearthstone or Blizzard-All Stars related, or perhaps a completely new franchise heavily linked with mobile devices. Time will tell.

*Note* Neither Hearthstone nor Blizzard All-Stars include the line "Downloadable electronic game software for use on portable electronic devices such as mobile and cellular phones, laptops, handheld computers, and tablet PCs" in their lists of goods and services either. HotS is the first trademark I've seen to do so at this point.
    Last edited by D4NNYB0Y; 2013-09-28 at 10:03 AM.

I think that it's a WoW expansion based on this logic:

They will have Starcraft 2: HotS along with World of Warcraft: HotS.

Just too perfect, was planned like this from the beginning.

I have difficulty believing they'd focus an expansion on two Alliance heroes - one of which is renowned for her troll and orc-slaying skills. If they made Turalyon and Alleria neutral, there would be a massive outcry from the Alliance playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    I think that it's a WoW expansion based on this logic:

They will have Starcraft 2: HotS along with World of Warcraft: HotS.

Just too perfect, was planned like this from the beginning.
    Sharing acronyms with another franchise is a strike against it not for it. Businesses typically try to avoid similarity between property names to preserve product uniqueness and identity as much as possible.

Deleted
    It's Blizzard All-Stars

10+ Year Old Account
    Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
    Hearthstone: Heroes of The Storm
    Im 10000% sure it is a free Hearthstone expansion that will be announced at Blizzcon for a 2014 release. Mark my words.
    Gaming Rig: CPU: i7-3770k @ 4.5Ghz | CPU Cooler: H100i | Motherboard: GA-Z77X-D3H | RAM: 2x4GB 1600MHz |GPU: GTX 780 | PSU: Corsair TX750M | Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker | SSD1 (Boot drive): 120GB Kingston | SSD2: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO | HDD: 1TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda | Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Black) | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Audio: Razer Tiamat 7.1 | Monitor: LG IPS234 (1920x1080)

You know, some companies, when they trade mark, blanket everything, because they never know what the future may hold, and also gives more legal pull if someone was to try and rip them off and for example have a wow-like game on phones using names people spells nearly the exact same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    I have difficulty believing they'd focus an expansion on two Alliance heroes - one of which is renowned for her troll and orc-slaying skills. If they made Turalyon and Alleria neutral, there would be a massive outcry from the Alliance playerbase.
    Turalyon and Alleria are way beyond petty faction conflict at this stage. They are probably the two greatest heroes yet to be introduced to WoW in existence, and based on what Metzen said, they will matter immensely for the war again the legion.

So the title doesn't really put emphasis on 'Alliance Heroes', but rather 'The Heroes' returning from a war with the legion, now to lead us into battle.

Heck, for all we know they might bring brown orcs from Draenor with them. A lot of stuff happened along those journeys through the Nether, I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by D4NNYB0Y View Post
    Sharing acronyms with another franchise is a strike against it not for it. Businesses typically try to avoid similarity between property names to preserve product uniqueness and identity as much as possible.
    The Trademark is already a fact, though. So the acronym is neither a strike against or for it.

Quote Originally Posted by iadamson View Post
    You know, some companies, when they trade mark, blanket everything, because they never know what the future may hold, and also gives more legal pull if someone was to try and rip them off and for example have a wow-like game on phones using names people spells nearly the exact same.
    You can't do that in the US. You have to file an Allegation of Use (proof of use of the mark pertaining to everything listed within the List of Goods and Services) within 6 months of registration or you lose the mark. The US has very strict trademark laws.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    Turalyon and Alleria are way beyond petty faction conflict at this stage. They are probably the two greatest heroes yet to be introduced to WoW in existence, and based on what Metzen said, they will matter immensely for the war again the legion.

So the title doesn't really put emphasis on 'Alliance Heroes', but rather 'The Heroes' returning from a war with the legion, now to lead us into battle.

Heck, for all we know they might bring brown orcs from Draenor with them. A lot of stuff happened along those journeys through the Nether, I bet.

The Trademark is already a fact, though. So the acronym is neither a strike against or for it.
    True, though keep in mind HotS's trademark application is still under examination in New Zealand, Europe, and the US; it hasn't come close to passing Publication anywhere yet as far as I know. That said I do believe it's legit.
    Last edited by D4NNYB0Y; 2013-09-28 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by D4NNYB0Y View Post
    There is no mention of manuals or mousepads, though to be fair there was no mention of mousepads for TBC either, and TBC differed significantly from their other trademark filings. .
    This. All of the Collectors Editions since Wrath have had mousepads included and also sold on the Blizzard store. Why they wouldn't continue this tradition with a new expansion is beyond me (unless they are planning to add other things to the CE). So I don't believe it's the next expansion. I believe it's an Allstars re-branding or something to do with Hearthstone.

Could probably have just posted this in the existing thread instead of making a new thread for your own specific predictions.
    Especially since the points you brought up have already been discussed in that thread.

Deleted
    Titan.

I'm gonna go with Titan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebonj View Post
    Titan.

I'm gonna go with Titan.
    I dont know why they would trademark something for Titan already as they just rebooted it and they said we wont hear anything about it before 2016 at earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjelpen View Post
    I dont know why they would trademark something for Titan already as they just rebooted it and they said we wont hear anything about it before 2016 at earliest.
    People need to stop spreading misinformation about this.
    They said RELEASE was pushed back to 2016. They didn't say there wouldn't be any info for it until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    People need to stop spreading misinformation about this.
    They said RELEASE was pushed back to 2016. They didn't say there wouldn't be any info for it until then.
    okey release 2016, they still wouldnt trademark something 4-5 years before release, if so we would already know about the next 2-3 wow expansions.

10+ Year Old Account
    The city of mental problems and bridge-jumpers, Finland
    This. Blizzard usually scraps and forms ideas trough-out development... Them being confident enough to even name the game would be way out of character

Quote Originally Posted by Hjelpen View Post
    okey release 2016, they still wouldnt trademark something 4-5 years before release, if so we would already know about the next 2-3 wow expansions.
    They would if they plan on talking about the project at Blizzcon.
    Just because it's 2.5 years away doesn't mean Blizzard can't speak briefly in a single panel about what sort of game it is, and some of their vision for the project. Especially after such a push-back, some general information would help to counteract what hype might have been lost by the delay.

Please don't forget that Diablo 3 was originally annoucned at the June 2008 World Wide Invitational.
    Despite the game having a May 2012 release.
    Last edited by Hitei; 2013-09-28 at 01:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    Let's see, we have the following assumptions or axioms irrefutable:

• Turalyon and Alleria have to come back sooner or later (it is assumed that in the next expansion)

• Turalyon and Alleria are two of the most important heroes of the Alliance since lifetime.

• Blizzard loves the Horde and consequently shows little appreciation for the Alliance and its affairs.

Now, having in mind the above premises, it is clear that both Turalyon and Alleria (or maybe just Alleria) will turn into neutral heroes, or what is the same: they will have some sympathy with the Horde and will be shown somehow indifferent with the Alliance.

In other words, if Alleria and Turalyon return turned into neutral heroes, or anything else not being clearly identified as 100% supporters of the Alliance in all aspects, then their comeback will be an insult to the Alliance, a catastrophic outrage with unfortunate results for Blizzard itself.

Turalyon and Alleria have been, are and must always be steadfast heroes of the Alliance until the end of their lives. Anything else will be an insult to the Alliance (the worst of all until now).

However, the only logical reason that Blizzard has for neutralize Turalyon and Alleria is simply that there are no homologues heroes for them in the Horde, and therefore those of the Alliance have to be "shared" with the Horde...

But, are you sure there are no heroes of the Horde who are currently missing or presumed dead and that in the next expansion may come and have their due protagonism?

Think of some! My suggestions are threefold:

• Rexxar. The perfect candidate to counter to Alleria and her High Elves of the Alliance, in this case Rexxar will bring the Ogres to the Horde. It's time for this great hero takes protagonism.

• Rokhan. The inseparable companion of Rexxar and right hand of the Warchief Vol'jin. The best counterpart of Turalyon for the Horde.

• Broxigar. We could say that he is the greatest hero of the Horde, the only one who has come face to face against Sargeras ... although he did not survive.
      However, Sargeras could have been so impressed by his courage and determination that perhaps the leader of the Burning Legion could have resurrected Broxigar to make him a champion of the Burning Legion, erasing his memory in the process to make it more manageable.
      In the next expansion many people would be impressed by seeing Broxigar alive again leading the Burning Legion forces, and no doubt they will try make him recover his memory and bring him back to the Horde.