10+ Year Old Account

Blood DK's - Tank Legendary or DPS Legendary?

I'm curious if any other Blood Death Knights are using the broken Legendary Cloak or are taking the DPS cloak despite the 40% reduction to proc?

I'm thinking of finding a way to switch over because currently the cloak is near useless for me considering Purgatory procs first. If it was the other way around at least you'd get an absorb before going into debt on purgatory. With the way it is you have to go into purgatory first, get healed out of the debt, then within the CD for purgatory only then can the legendary cloak proc and absorb an attack.

I'm thinking the 40% reduced chance DPS legendary is far more worth it.

What does everyone else think?

I haven't played my DK in a while, but this does seem like a major issue. Has it been brought to Blizzard's attention? I'm willing to bet that they would like the cloak to proc first.

As for which cloak to use, it's hard to say. If you think you might get a proc from the tank cloak, it will be more valuable. If not, then more dps = more survivability. I'm probably not the best to answer during this patch. Good luck.

15+ Year Old Account
    For Death Knights, the Endurance of Niuzao effect from the Qian-Le legendary cloak should now activate before triggering Purgatory.

So say the blues, so either you're suffering from a bug or you're getting two killing blows in a row.

The dps one is really only useful on aoe fights or if you're struggling with an enrage timer with no chance of ever dying - and that's already true for paladins who scale a lot better with the stats on the dps cloaks than dks.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the encounter. Something with adds or an encounter I have zero chance of dying on? Sure. I can pretty much tell in a few pulls if I need to keep the cloak on or not depending on how often I see purgatory and the cloak proc.
    Last edited by Tojara; 2013-09-29 at 01:35 AM.

I use the dps cloak on Immerseus, Protectors, Sha of Pride, Galakras, Shamans(We 3 tank it and I'm on Wavebinder), and I'll use it on Spoils whenever we get to it.
    Whaleshark /spits on your science.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tank meta is way too good now not to use.

I used the DPS cloak on Protectors, Sha of Pride, and Galakras. Iron Juggernaut does way too much damage and the cloak allows you to soak a mine at dangerously low health without any CDs, which is fairly nice. Since the DPS meta gem has been nerfed and tank vegeance, it just isn't as powerful. The cloak on the other hand is very hassle free to swap out offers a moderate single target boost, and a fairly decent chunk on AoE encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Tank meta is way too good now not to use.

I used the DPS cloak on Protectors, Sha of Pride, and Galakras. Iron Juggernaut does way too much damage and the cloak allows you to soak a mine at dangerously low health without any CDs, which is fairly nice. Since the DPS meta gem has been nerfed and tank vegeance, it just isn't as powerful. The cloak on the other hand is very hassle free to swap out offers a moderate single target boost, and a fairly decent chunk on AoE encounters.
    I use the dps cloak on that fight. I just make sure I go to the first mine with a decent blood shield on (as boss damage isn't that big), and for the 2nd I just hit the mine with a quick death strike, absorbing pretty much the entire damage. The 3rd one either a dpser takes or I do, and with full health its really a non-issue, or we just let one explode and heal through the damage, its nothing big (I imagine on HC its different, but we haven't gotten there yet)

I believe the tank cloak proc is capped at your max health. If Purg is proccing before the cloak, that means you just took a huge chunk of damage in the last second or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to echo what others have already said - it depends on the encounter. On most fights I use the DPS cloak, but if you're working on a progression boss and see yourself taking lots of damage, switch to the tanking cloak. I actually love being able to swap between them depending on encounter, but I'm strange like that =P Also - as stated above, the tanking cloak has been fixed to proc before Purg.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was talking about heroic Iron Juggernaut. I've seen my cloak proc as I haphazardly go out of my way to get a mine during his AoE phase when healers are worried about keeping the raid alive during the immense amount of damage going around.

The cloak definitely has limitations as to how much it can absorb. Monk tank took a second blast from Immerseus on heroic and instantly dropped despite having the cape on. So there is a damage cap.

And options are always good, it's what makes tanking a bit more interesting as far as stat priority and items go. Trinkets specifically targeting certain bosses and the same goes for cloaks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I've been testing the cloak now and it's working. Really strange for me seeing as the day before I asked I was getting pissed at purgatory proccing first, but I can see now the hotfix Blizzard had put out on it. Ah well, I'll just go with it.

Thanks for the input on the encounters though, because of this found out you could have multiple legendary cloaks so that'll be really nice on progression.

I end up using my DPS cloak a lot more than my tank cloak when actually tanking - it ends up being about 7% of my total damage. Tank cloak is great for progression though.