Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
LastLast
  1. #201
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    art is a subjective thing i suppose. glad you actually enjoy the game visuals, there is nothing wrong with that.

    I personally found that second picture unattractive, both technically and artistically, but that's just me.
    also you are posting only landscape picture, are you always looking at the game world from afar?
    Do you spend most of the game time on your flying mount?

    here is what you see when you play the game up close

    So your problem are the models. Well i totally agree with you they suck. Hopefully they are getting updated on the next expansion.

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    art is a subjective thing i suppose. glad you actually enjoy the game visuals, there is nothing wrong with that.

    I personally found that second picture unattractive, both technically and artistically, but that's just me.
    also you are posting only landscape picture, are you always looking at the game world from afar?
    Do you spend most of the game time on your flying mount?

    here is what you see when you play the game up close


    My character is about an inch tall on my 27" monitor for 99% of the game.

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Then we have things like GTA V ... a bloody miracle on aging console systems on their last legs.
    What miracle? GTA 5 looks pretty much the same as GTA 4 graphics wise.

    Anyway, I don't think WoW's graphics should be a problem for anyone but the engine is horribly outdated. You can keep tuning an old car, but unless you put in a brand new engine it won't matter that much. Yeah, I'm not a car expert but I think you get what I'm trying to say.

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltha89 View Post
    So your problem are the models. Well i totally agree with you they suck. Hopefully they are getting updated on the next expansion.
    i don't have a problem, i don't mind bad graphics. I always found wow graphics average to bad, but that never prevent me to enjoy the game. Bad graphics does not bug me in any way. Same way i don't have a problem with hotline miami graphics the walking dead, or any older game, as long as i have fun.

    New model will not be enough to make me come back to wow, i have changed, the whole "grind gear, clear dungeon, rinse and repeat every patch" does not amuse me anymore, i play other game. I like to keep in touch with the evolution of this game, and the MMO scene in general.

  5. #205
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    as to why graphics are so poor? The answer is simple really, because it is enough.

    wow is surfing on millions of subs and someone at blizzard decided that spending money in improving graphic would not increase subs that much. thus it is not a worthy investment to make. Simple really. As long as player will say they are satisfied with current graphical level by continuing their sub, blizzard will not improve it.
    I'm pretty sure that the outdated graphics are one of the causes of the sub decline. That's why people demand new player models as well.
    And no, even if Blizzard is losing subs due to graphics they won't simply create a whole new engine and lots of new models. That's for too much work, it would be WoW 2 basically. I think Blizzard is content with milking as much money out of WoW through microtransactions until Titan is ready, they don't care about losing subs that much.

  6. #206
    Herald of the Titans Abstieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    i don't have a problem, i don't mind bad graphics. I always found wow graphics average to bad, but that never prevent me to enjoy the game. Bad graphics does not bug me in any way. Same way i don't have a problem with hotline miami graphics the walking dead, or any older game, as long as i have fun.

    New model will not be enough to make me come back to wow, i have changed, the whole "grind gear, clear dungeon, rinse and repeat every patch" does not amuse me anymore, i play other game. I like to keep in touch with the evolution of this game, and the MMO scene in general.
    Models are basically the only thing that's outdated in terms of graphics.

  7. #207
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the outdated graphics are one of the causes of the sub decline. That's why people demand new player models as well.
    And no, even if Blizzard is losing subs due to graphics they won't simply create a whole new engine and lots of new models. That's for too much work, it would be WoW 2 basically. I think Blizzard is content with milking as much money out of WoW through microtransactions until Titan is ready, they don't care about losing subs that much.
    No amount of new models will cause anything more than a small bump in subs. Its an old game, if you're tired of playing it, you're tired. Adding a few polygons to player models isn't going to change how you play the game, and the models will never look like next gen models in single player games.

  8. #208
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Frozen Wasteland
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by frumper View Post
    No amount of new models will cause anything more than a small bump in subs. Its an old game, if you're tired of playing it, you're tired. Adding a few polygons to player models isn't going to change how you play the game, and the models will never look like next gen models in single player games.
    People don't play WoW for the graphics. They play it for just about everything else about the game.

    It is a fantasy pixel world but it's intended to be cartoonish, not realistic. There are a lot of downsides to "realistic" looking games.

  9. #209
    Because the game is ten years old. Not sure what you expect.

  10. #210
    Not only is the engine old, WoW has to run on ancient machines/setups in order to not alienate longstanding subscribers who don't update their specs.
    Meddle of <Surprise Cuttlefish> Kilrogg-US

  11. #211
    Stood in the Fire AbsolutVodka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    492
    Because it's almost 10 years old! OOOOOOH /THREAD!!!!


  12. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    What miracle? GTA 5 looks pretty much the same as GTA 4 graphics wise.

    Anyway, I don't think WoW's graphics should be a problem for anyone but the engine is horribly outdated. You can keep tuning an old car, but unless you put in a brand new engine it won't matter that much. Yeah, I'm not a car expert but I think you get what I'm trying to say.
    They don't look at all the same unless you're considering with mods on PC.

    But yeah, considering development began in 1999 (though some updates have been made with expansions), it's safe to say that's a big reason they're not exactly Crysis-level graphics.

  13. #213
    Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    Models are basically the only thing that's outdated in terms of graphics.
    You obviously haven't tried transmog'ing older sets. The graphics resolution on older expansion's armors are fucking terrible. They are in dire need of updating.

    The graphical STYLE of WoW is fine, I like the cartoony looks. Some people don't. The graphical QUALITY of WoW is extremely outdated, and that mostly has to do with running the game on an almost 20 year old engine. Most modern MMOs have much higher quality graphics, but also use updated or modern engines to support them. For example, while the STYLE of TERA is different from WoW, the quality is mind-blowingly good. I can run that game at Ultra settings without a single hiccup at 60FPS solid. GW2 is the same way; smooth all the way around. WoW, on the other hand, as soon as things start happening, down come the FPS. It's just outdated, and there is absolutely no way possible to argue against that. While I would certainly love to see them update the QUALITY of the graphics in WoW, I just don't think the engine can take much more. It was made to run on hardware far, far outdated compared to what we're using today.

    I'm not even talking about models, either. To up the poly count on the models that really need it would probably kill the game. I think bumping the count on the player races will be fine, but to do it to EVERYTHING (which arguably is needed, if they're going to make our models look good) would just be too much for the engine to tolerate.

    I just wish they'd switch over to a proprietary engine, or fucking build a new one. The Unreal engine, which TERA runs on, would be perfect. Or the ID...5? Whatever iteration they're on. Gamebryo is just so beyond outdated, it drives me fucking NUTS that game companies still use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .

  14. #214
    Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    Models are basically the only thing that's outdated in terms of graphics.
    and the low res texture
    and the 3D objects
    and the land generating algorythm
    and the lighting
    and the physics engine
    and pretty much everything

  15. #215
    Stood in the Fire helmaroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    the bowels of dream
    Posts
    454
    This dude just said the water was a plastic piece of crap. OP obviously hasn't seen water in real life. I have some info man not all water is crystal clear on white sand

    beaches and clear ass swimming pool. Most water in nature looks muggy and like the water in Wow just like the picture that was posted earlier of the water and the lily

    pads and how it looks exactly like the damn game water on ultra. Stop bitching about the water and find a way to upgrade your system cause everyone else's water is

    shiny.

  16. #216
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I just wish they'd switch over to a proprietary engine, or fucking build a new one. The Unreal engine, which TERA runs on, would be perfect. Or the ID...5? Whatever iteration they're on. Gamebryo is just so beyond outdated, it drives me fucking NUTS that game companies still use it.
    Sony's Forlight engine is pretty good from what i saw. it is used for Everquest Next and Planetside 2.
    I played planetside 2, pretty smooth and from what i saw from everquest next, it look really good and include world destruction.

    My dream is a seamless mass effect MMO with the frostbyte 3 engine.

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by helmaroc View Post
    This dude just said the water was a plastic piece of crap. OP obviously hasn't seen water in real life. I have some info man not all water is crystal clear on white sand

    beaches and clear ass swimming pool. Most water in nature looks muggy and like the water in Wow just like the picture that was posted earlier of the water and the lily

    pads and how it looks exactly like the damn game water on ultra. Stop bitching about the water and find a way to upgrade your system cause everyone else's water is

    shiny.
    WoW water really does look like plastic, google the word river and compare the images to the picture of a river posted earlier in the thread. I could cherry pick some water that looked like WoW water, that's true, however WoW water isn't terribly dynamic and looks the same at the center of a body as it does at the edges and disregards motion, depth, etc. Saying it looks plastic is totally fair.

    Not that it needs to be amazing, but saying it looks great is silly.

  18. #218
    Engine age has very little to do with WoW's current aesthetic or performance. Did you know most of the computers you guys have are running on technology over 30 years old? No wonder all your computers run poorly!!! x86 is old and bad!!!

    But seriously, the age of WoW's engine means practically zilch. They make constant changes and updates to it. It doesn't matter if it started as the engine that powered WC3, because it isn't that engine anymore. It's development suicide to just scrap your existing codebase just to state that you have NEW code now! I can guarantee that WoW's programmers aren't just sitting around not improving the engine.

    WoW's biggest issue is going to be maintaining support for legacy data. Despite Pandaria blowing the pants off of Outland in all technical aspects, the engine still needs to run Outland without you noticing any differences (other than the ones they want, like the newer shadows).

    Blizz has started to give out interviews with their tech people in recent times, probably to help cast aside nonsense like ZOMG IT RUNS OFF THE SAME CODE WARCRAFT 3 DID NO WONDER IT IS BAD. They have also stated that they had a philosophy change a while back about letting more powerful hardware make the game look better. Hence the reason you are seeing the game started to rapidly advance in the shader and effect fronts.

  19. #219
    Quote Originally Posted by Troopsmith View Post
    Engine age has very little to do with WoW's current aesthetic or performance. Did you know most of the computers you guys have are running on technology over 30 years old? No wonder all your computers run poorly!!! x86 is old and bad!!!
    The x86 today is practically a disguised RISC processor as it breaks instructions into microOp internally. The only similarity between something like the 386 and modern i7/5/3 processors is the instruction set - even that has changed somewhat over the years. The internals have been revamped almost every generation, adding stuff like branch prediction, OOO processing (the Pentium was I believe the first Superscalar x86 CPU) ... etc. They didn't just "modify" an existing design.

    Blizz has started to give out interviews with their tech people in recent times, probably to help cast aside nonsense like ZOMG IT RUNS OFF THE SAME CODE WARCRAFT 3 DID NO WONDER IT IS BAD. They have also stated that they had a philosophy change a while back about letting more powerful hardware make the game look better. Hence the reason you are seeing the game started to rapidly advance in the shader and effect fronts.
    Would be much appreciated if they did. I'm curious as to their choice of water algorithm, why the specular highlights look so diffused and why water distortion is limited to high and ultra modes only when a Mario game from 10+ years ago can do distortion just fine on 10+ year old hardware
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2013-09-30 at 05:39 AM.

  20. #220
    Pit Lord Cyrops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    US Eonar
    Posts
    2,438
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Because programmers work on content ... right ...

    Edit: Sorry if I come across as condensing. A bit grumpy at the moment.
    You would have to redo a lot of textures to higher resolutions. That is artists work hours.
    And programmers do work on new content

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •