Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    With cataclysm release (plus DX11) they done a lot of upgrades to the water and for that moment it was 1 of the better water simulations in a game. especially waves as they did was something not done before in other games and they were praised for it.

But eventually time will catch up and so will technique. but it still looks and perhaps more importantly feels good to me.

Does the OP have DX11?
    Or what kinda GPU do you have, never budget on a GPU if it's a gaming rig
    Last edited by Noctus78; 2013-09-29 at 03:02 PM.

the problem with wows engine isnt that how it looks but how it runs.
    i have not much money, so always lowspec pc. but when i get a new graphicscard that is better than what i have, wow loses fps....
    just for coparisant:
    i currently run with a ati 7750 and have 60fps with high ghraphics. when i compare that to the x800 i used just a few weeks before i have the same performance..... maybe 5 fps more but nothing i would actually see.
    wow just scales realy bad with graphiccard advancement, that needs to be adressed

Scarab Lord Frozen Death Knight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    A muppet would be someone who forever is fine with low standard graphics , not people who demand more. We are the ones who drive innovation and progress. Why can't you compare gta and wow? Wow makes gta money every year, so why don't they invest it back into the game? I don't dislike wow, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking their graphics are good. Why shouldn't they invest a hundred million or so on fixing wows shortcomings and secure its second life?
    Sure, let's compare them. In the left corner! Heavy Weight MMO Champion World of WarCraft with an engine from the early 2000s! In the right corner! The brand new overhyped game GTA V with some of the latest technology out there under the hood along with being built on a console that came out in 2006, a whole two years after WoW!

Man, I can't wait to see who wins. It's like a race between a used car and a newly manufactured racing car.

Considering the game is nearly 10 years old I am amazed how well they have done considering what they have to work with

The only way you will get a better graphics update on an extreme level would be for blizzard to make a wow 2, using a new engine.
    Long Live Dizzy - May his boxing gloves never shrink in the wash

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    None of those games claimed that and all of them do have better graphics than wow. Since this thread is about graphics no need to bash the game play of other games.
    AoC specifically advertised with the new and shiny DX10 graphics as one of their major selling points. Fans put all those other games (including GW2 I forgot from the list) on pedestal because of more photorealistic graphics than WoW.

All of those games prove that no amount of eyecandy makes up for inferior gameplay.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

You guys fed the OP enough to last him a month.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

I personally enjoy WoW's graphics. It has the right fantasy vibe for me given the world we're playing in. And the engine is freakin' old and still kicking. I'll take it.

Now, I also love the FFXIV graphics, too, but it's a different kind of game.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Fair setting ... can't even maintain 30 fps on a 2 year old laptop.

Water doesn't' even have specular highlights - seriously what kind of water is this, anyone who has lived knows water is shiny.

Then we have things like GTA V ... a bloody miracle on aging console systems on their last legs.

Both multi-billion dollar companies. What gives?

Edit: Is it too much to ask for water that looks like this without clogging down my GPU?

The water effects in teh immersius fight are pretty goddamn sweet.

If you saw how WoW water looked pre cataclysm, you'd probably cry.

You're asking why a nearly 9 year old game, using a 12-13 year old engine, has sub-par graphics? With any Blizzard game, you have to take the game's age and add 3-4 years to it due to how long it takes them to start and complete a game.

And seriously, why do you look or care what water in a video game looks like?... I'll never understand why some of you stare at water in a video game and complain about how it doesn't look real.

What is wrong with the water in WoW?

Looks good to me.
    Last edited by Kryos; 2013-09-29 at 04:42 PM.

You know, I really don't get it.

Every time someone comes to these forums or WoW official forums asking for changes to the game, hoping to improve it, there will be a swarm of people telling him/her everything is fine or that it's his/her fault things aren't ...

I don't get it. What do you gain from the game not improving?

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    What is wrong with the water in WoW?

Looks good to me.
    That isn't water, that is plastic wrap ...

It's also "slow" for but the most high-end computers. Why do you prefer this when you can get better looking results using simple techniques in a clever way - it's the GameCube for heaven sakes - like in Mario Sunshine?

the only game I can remember that upgraded their graphic engine was Age of Conan (and it didn't make that big of a difference except with performance, which improved quite a bit)

WoW's engine is at its limits right now, a nice improvement would be to upgrade their character models but otherwise I don't know how much more they can do with their current engine

Blizzard never had next gen graphics with their games so you have to expect this. For a better looking game by Blizzard, you are going to have to wait for their next mmorpg (if it's not vaporware)

Get a better computer op. Just do yourself and everyone else a favor.

You know, I really don't get it.

Every time someone comes to these forums or WoW official forums asking for changes to the game, hoping to improve it, there will be a swarm of people telling him/her everything is fine or that it's his/her fault things aren't ...

I don't get it. What do you gain from the game not improving?
    Buddy, I'm about to sound REALLY rude, but you're the one who doesn't seem to get it.

It's the Engine.

I'm gonna say it 5 more times in this post:

It's the Engine.

It's the Engine.

It's the Engine.

It's the Engine.

It's the freaking Engine.

Get it now?

You can make editions to an existing Engine, but you can't just REPLACE it while the entire structure of a game is running on it.

You have to build an ENTIRE NEW GAME to implement a new Engine. How is that hard to understand?

Also, swarms of people are defending Blizzard right now because the entirety of your reasoning is:

A. Not listening to a single point anyone's made

B. Asking for the impossible

Thank you.

Have a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    the only game I can remember that upgraded their graphic engine was Age of Conan (and it didn't make that big of a difference except with performance, which improved quite a bit)

WoW's engine is at its limits right now, a nice improvement would be to upgrade their character models but otherwise I don't know how much more they can do with their current engine

Blizzard never had next gen graphics with their games so you have to expect this. For a better looking game by Blizzard, you are going to have to wait for their next mmorpg (if it's not vaporware)

A want a more efficient engine i.e. one that runs better.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Buddy, I'm about to sound REALLY rude, but you're the one who doesn't seem to get it.

It's the Engine.

I'm gonna say it 5 more times in this post:

It's the Engine.

It's the Engine.

It's the Engine.

It's the Engine.

It's the freaking Engine.

Get it now?

You can make editions to an existing Engine, but you can't just REPLACE it while the entire structure of a game is running on it.

You have to build an ENTIRE NEW GAME to implement a new Engine. How is that hard to understand?

Also, swarms of people are defending Blizzard right now because the entirety of your reasoning is:

A. Not listening to a single point anyone's made

B. Asking for the impossible

Thank you.

Have a good day.
    LOL. Talk about pot calling kettle black.

I have repeated many many many times, I KNOW! That's why I'm asking for an engine overhaul! And no, you don't need to replace the whole game engine, just the rendering component! Software is written in pieces and it's pieces can be separated and replaced! Do you know anything about software development? No? Then keep your "information" where it came from, your ass.

SCOTLAND, FREEDOOOM! (coming sep 2014, possibly)
    A new engine would take a lot of time. They have to get everything they have in the current engine working on the new one. They have to test the entire game on the new engine too. Some things would probably need to be redone. It would probably affect the game's future content in a big way. People that have crap hardware might need to change their hardware to keep playing a game they've played for years. They would have to work with new compatibility issues.

A new engine is basically a whole new game. It isn't the renderer, it isn't a piece of the game, is the whole structure the game is based on. Is there reusable code? Sure, and the databases wouldn't need to change. But most of what makes WoW the game it is would have to be redone to suit a new engine. It has taken them years to make this game, they would need just as many years to create (not adapt) this game on a newer engine.

Let's try a comparison. Do you know what happens to a boat with a broken keel? It gets replaced. Why? Can't it be repaired? Yes, but you would have to remove everything else to repair it, and then adapt and change most the old ship to fit its modified keel. Ending up with a new ship made out of old pieces, and not a very solid one, either.
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2013-09-29 at 06:48 PM.
    English is not my first language, feel free to correct any mistake I may make.

If they made a new engine, the OP probably wouldn't be able to play. And I'm fine with that lol.

A want a more efficient engine i.e. one that runs better.

LOL. Talk about pot calling kettle black.

I have repeated many many many times, I KNOW! That's why I'm asking for an engine overhaul! And no, you don't need to replace the whole game engine, just the rendering component! Software is written in pieces and it's pieces can be separated and replaced! Do you know anything about software development? No? Then keep your "information" where it came from, your ass.
    And once more, my friend, I answer you with they can't unless you don't want another expansion for years to come.

I'm fine with the graphics of the game. I actually like them more than more realistic graphics games (and it seems most players who've commented in this thread agree with me).

You want the overhaul? Find, have fun convincing Blizzard to use all of their resources to do that instead of giving us an expansion.

Next.

By the way, aside from the Vanilla Models, the game is actually up to par with current graphic standards for the art style it has.

Once the old models are updated, I'm about 90% sure no one is going to be bitching about graphics anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    And once more, my friend, I answer you with they can't unless you don't want another expansion for years to come.

I'm fine with the graphics of the game. I actually like them more than more realistic graphics games (and it seems most players who've commented in this thread agree with me).

You want the overhaul? Find, have fun convincing Blizzard to use all of their resources to do that instead of giving us an expansion.

Next.

By the way, aside from the Vanilla Models, the game is actually up to par with current graphic standards for the art style it has.

Once the old models are updated, I'm about 90% sure no one is going to be bitching about graphics anymore.
    Exactly. The game is nearly a decade old, of course everything that hasn't been updated yet is going to look a bit dated.

Just wait until everything starts looking as good as the updated frogs. Haha.