Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by lukec1996 View Post
    WoW's current engine is based off of the Classic WoW engine, which was originally based off the Warcraft 3 engine. Considering the roots of WoW's current graphics engine, its damned impressive that they've made as much of it as they have. I don't know what you've seen of WC3, but it isn't terribly good looking, however for a game made in 2003, its up there with some of the best.
    Not to mention that Blizzard design their games to be playable by almost everyone, trust me, there's tons of people out there with really really bad computers, i know a few my self that can barely run D3 / WoW on LOW settings.

Although the texture quality is crap, the "style" of the game is what matters to me.
    And they do improve the engine every expansion, MoP content got pretty decent texture quality compared to old vanilla textures.
    Dym - Balance Druid - Kazzak EU - Achievement Points: 17395+ - Mounts: 220 - Titles: 63+ - level 90: 15 characters
    | Mobo: ASUS Crosshair V Formula | CPU: AMD FX-8350 | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 570 DirectCU II | RAM: Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600 MHz 16GB |

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    As already stated, it's a really, REALLY old engine. It's disappointing though, that the fps I get on ultra GW2 isn't that much different than Ultra WoW.
    what?? WoW is much more optimized i get on wow ultra settings 60 steady FPS with vsync

on GW i bearly get 35 sometime drop to 10 and on medium settings

and TBH i prefer wow graphics

i wont forgat the look of male human in GW2 looks like some kind of barby doll

gtx 650 ti boost 2g

intel e7500 2.9ghz

Quote Originally Posted by mich4el View Post
    what?? WoW is much more optimized i get on wow ultra settings 60 steady FPS with vsync

on GW i bearly get 35 sometime drop to 10 and on medium settings

and TBH i prefer wow graphics

i wont forgat the look of male human in GW2 looks like some kind of barby doll

gtx 650 ti boost 2g

intel e7500 2.9ghz
    You should probably make sure that the game is using your graphics card.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    The x86 today is practically a disguised RISC processor as it breaks instructions into microOp internally. The only similarity between something like the 386 and modern i7/5/3 processors is the instruction set - even that has changed somewhat over the years. The internals have been revamped almost every generation, adding stuff like branch prediction, OOO processing (the Pentium was I believe the first Superscalar x86 CPU) ... etc. They didn't just "modify" an existing design.
    That's exactly my point. The WoW engine of today is nothing like it used to be, just as x86 isn't.

Also the evolution of x86 absolutely took existing designs. Best example being Intel switching back to the Pentium M's microarchitecture to update it for the first Core chips, dropping the NetBurst MA that was being used in P4s. And they keep evolving the same designs to the point that they are no longer that which they started with.

Just like WoW.

Has anyone noticed the AMAZING water detail on Immerserus? The channels of water feeding into him on Ultra look surreal (in a good way).

I like WoW's graphics (if it wasn't already obvious).
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Let's go ahead and assume that these alpha patch notes are 100% final and there will be absolutely no changes for the 6-8 months the expansion is in development.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post

A want a more efficient engine i.e. one that runs better.
    That's what they're doing with Titan, and you can already see since the time that we've known about the project until now, that game hasn't even seen the light of day nor is it anywhere close to it. What does it have to do with WoW? Everything. Blizzard takes their time with game dev, in all aspects of it. Just swapping the renderer would take a lot of time and resource for a minimal upgrade in actual gameplay. Sure, the water will look nicer, but I'm pretty sure players are more interested in more content instead of revamping the world.

I mean look at Cataclysm. It made huge changes to the world, including making the entire old-world flyable. Everyone now takes it for granted, and the clear lack of content in Cata caused the downfall that hasn't recovered, even as good as MoP has been.

And yes, there would be a lack of content whenever R&D or a graphical change is needed. You still need artists to work on making the shaders for water, or generating the right maps and effects to make water splashes and reflections look good.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2013-09-30 at 04:22 PM.