Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Should people be allowed to choose to die?

I just read of a NSW teenager who has been told by the NSW Supreme Court that he must undergo a blood transfusion as opposed to dying. Please bear in mind that while he wishes to forego the transfusion due to religious reasons, that is not what this thread is about.

I'm curious as to whether or not the state should ever have the right to intervene and force someone to undergo a medical procedure they don't want (which is a decision his parents clearly support).

I, for one, think the state should never have the right to intervene in family affairs, especially those that subvert one's right to self determination.

I think if you really are in a place where you will be in pain otherwise you should have the option

Yes, in cases like these. The teenager in question is not even an adult and as mentioned has been 'cocooned by his faith', I think the judge made the right choice.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Life is a right, not a duty.

It's not the Governments job to tell you when you Can or Can Not die. Even as a teenager he can think for himself. Not to mention it's the PARENTS call. All to often today people would rather the Government be the Parent then let the Parents be the Parents.

His body his choice, amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Yes, in cases like these. The teenager in question is not even an adult and as mentioned has been 'cocooned by his faith', I think the judge made the right choice.
    So you think an arbitrary age limit is when you get to determine your right to life?

I think once you are able to make decisions for yourself (in fact rather than legality) you should be able to make that choice. Anything else is simply an arbitrary number. What if your country's age of majority was 20? 25? What if your nation decided you should only be able to choose death after retirement age?

I don't think the state should ever have the right to interfere in private decisions that affect no one else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets be honest, if someone wishes to die, what are they going to do to stop them? If they really wish it, they'll find a way to end their life.

He is 17, he is not a child so I think he would be allowed to choose how he wants the be treated medically. Also what are his chance of dieing if he does receive the blood transfusion?

If a parent decides that a child should not be submitted for a specific treatment then I believe the courts should intervene. However, if the person itself has no desire to live, why the hell should the courts have anything to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I'm curious as to whether or not the state should ever have the right to intervene and force someone to undergo a medical procedure they don't want (which is a decision his parents clearly support).
    Only in the event of a quarantine should this be the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    In certain cases, yes. I won't go into detail about what I think the cases should be. I'm very educated, but none of it is in the medical field. My opinion is based on growing up with a mother who had to deal with a very severe case of Crohn's disease. One that left her in bed most of the time, and in constant agony.

Well if you try to jump off a building or try any other method to kill yourself as, even as an adult the police can and will arrest you and take you to a hospital for a psych lockdown. Your also required to wear a seatbelt in a car or you'll get a fine. None of which puts others in harm. The states intervene all the time. Its slippery slope for sure. In this case I don't know - its crazy that there are still religious nut jobs out there who think prayer heals all.

According to the bible if you pray for something you WILL receive it. How many amputees have had their legs spontaneously regrow? 0. The bigger issue here isn't the right to choose. It's those out there that still use religion as an excuse for anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Well if you try to jump off a building or try any other method to kill yourself as, even as an adult the police can and will arrest you and take you to a hospital for a psych lockdown. Your also required to wear a seatbelt in a car or you'll get a fine. None of which puts others in harm. The states intervene all the time. Its slippery slope for sure. In this case I don't know - its crazy that there are still religious nut jobs out there who think prayer heals all.

According to the bible if you pray for something you WILL receive it. How many amputees have had their legs spontaneously regrow? 0. The bigger issue here isn't the right to choose. It's those out there that still use religion as an excuse for anything.
    I, for one, think both things are stupid as hell.

Seat belt laws should be viewed as interfering with Darwinism at work. Proof of natural selection in real time is being hampered!

15+ Year Old Account
    So you think an arbitrary age limit is when you get to determine your right to life?

I think once you are able to make decisions for yourself (in fact rather than legality) you should be able to make that choice. Anything else is simply an arbitrary number. What if your country's age of majority was 20? 25? What if your nation decided you should only be able to choose death after retirement age?

I don't think the state should ever have the right to interfere in private decisions that affect no one else.
    not that your country could do much about it if you choose to die as long as you´re able to leave hospital

if you´re unable to leave, well than it really depends on the age of majority and if you´re still conscious and able to make that decision

if all those things are true, you probably should be allowed

i wouldn´t choose to die, because you really never know what´s behind the next door, maybe some miracle solution is found and i could get cured

- - - Updated - - -

I, for one, think both things are stupid as hell.

Seat belt laws should be viewed as interfering with Darwinism at work. Proof of natural selection in real time is being hampered!
    so accidents now fall under natural selection... alright
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Although life is precious, free will is more valuable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I agree with Dezerte, but normaly, yes the person have the option to choose over his/her life, but only if they are adults, if they are teenagers... FUCK YOU! YOU WILL STAY ALIVE EVEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT!, even if the parents for some reasons don't want their son/daughter to undergo a medical procedure

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    If people in a terminal state want to end their life prematurely, they should be allowed to make that decision.

Not sure if this video was posted in another thread or if people have already seen it, but here's a medical doctors opinion on assisted suicide. He died shortly after the video was recorded from an inoperable brain tumour.

Yeah no... not in this case.

He can live quite easily, just goes against his religion.

15+ Year Old Account
    I believe medically assisted suicide should be legal in the U.S.

No reason why people 80+ years old should have to suffer for (at times) years when they know its NEVER going to get better and they want to end the pain / burden on their family and die with dignity, on their own terms.

Anyone that says otherwise is either blinded by religious bullshit or has some kind of stake in the healthcare industry. The only two things stopping states from legalizing it are the aforementioned factors. Silly.

edit: If it still remains illegal by the time I get there...and I know I'm going to go, I'll just put a gun in my mouth.
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2013-09-30 at 04:39 PM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Adults should have the right to die with dignity. In the case you propose the person in question is 17 and not an adult according to the law. In this case since the child in question in using religion as his reason for not wanting the transfusion that can save his life. I feel the judge is correct in his assumption that the kid has been blinded by his religion and accordingly is not able to make a unbiased decision.