[Movies] Scary psychological thrillers?

Hey there! I am not very well acquainted with the horror or the scary thriller genre, so I came here to see if I couldn't soak up some nice suggestions.

What I'm looking for are movies that are more thriller than jumpscare horror. I absolutely love Amnesia, the dark descent and a machine for pigs, and would love to see movies where things are pieced together bit by bit, but the scary part being more psychological than (as mentioned before) jumpscare.

Preferably something without spiders or insects though, as I suffer from phobia.

The best thing would be movies that are set in 17th or 18th century. Something really dark.
    Although not very scary, the Raven, was an excellent movie of that theme. Same for the wolfman.

Hoping for some nice suggestions =)
    Thanks in advance!

Deleted

Not quite like the suggestions you mentioned, but I enjoyed The Descent: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/ They get stuck underground and it adds a different perspective of "scary" than most movies deliver. Not many jumpscares with the monsters, in fact they don't show up often at all until the end. Give it a read, at least!

May not be your style, but also The Collector: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844479/

10+ Year Old Account
    If you like anime Monster us an amazing horror/mystery thriller.

Not a period piece, but if you haven't seen Se7en, you're not even trying :P

Maybe Brotherhood of the Wolf, that from what I recall was decent. Sleepy Hollow perhaps, though more of a Tim Burton blood fest. Bram Stoker's Dracula. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein etc.

idk, not many...17th century is going to be a bunch of baroque dramas and romance shit really, and the 18th century films are mostly revolutionary war stuff.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-09-29 at 04:01 AM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I actually have watched Se7en, but years ago. Only remember bits, might have to watch it again :P Thanks for the suggestions so far Will give some of them a try ;D

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    If you like anime Monster us an amazing horror/mystery thriller.
    This, and good job on mentioning it. Don't see many people mention this anime. It's very good.

Signs is the only one I can think of atm that is officially labeled a Psychological Thriller(at least by wikipedia). 2 really great movies I would put in a simmilar category tho are eXistenZ and Dark City (Rufus Sewell 1998 one).

First and foremost, given the mentions of Amnesia etc: Pan's Labyrinth. Jacob's Ladder. These two are must-sees.

Other possibilities that come to mind:

Memento, possibly Sinister, Sunshine, Moon, Se7en, Zodiac (damn Fincher, stop showing up), The Conversation, Fallen, The Wicker Man (original, not Nicholas Cage crap festival), Right At Your Door, Mullholland Drive, Naked Lunch and Videodrome.

A lot of these may stretch the boundaries of what was requested, but most of them are thrillers, with supernatural or psychological influences.

Deleted
    I second:

Pan's Labyrinth
    Mullholland Drive

Also:

28 Days Later
    Donnie Darko
    Silence of the Lambs
    Flatliners
    Interview with a Vampire
    Let the Right One In
    Night Watch (2004) aka. Nochnoy dozor
    Confessions (2010) aka. Kokuhaku
    Taxi Driver
    American Psycho
    Psycho

Not really horror but:

The Usual Suspects
    Twelve Monkeys
    The Butterfly Effect
    The Fugitive
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (original Swedish version is best)
    No Country for Old Men
    Rear Window
    Les Diaboliques (1955).

There are also some truly extreme (but good enough to watch if you had the stomach) other pscyhological-esque horrors out there, but they are probably too much for someone new to the genre.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2013-09-30 at 04:37 AM.

Great suggestions Got a lot to watch now ;D
    Seen some of it before though. A lot of good stuff.

Interview with a vampire, The Girl with the dragon tattoo and No Country for Old men, love em! A couple of movies I did not like though :P Think I'll go for Pan's Labyrinth next

Deleted
    Session 9 is great.

I recommend watching Oldboy, It isn't scary but it has alot of graphic violence and alot of things that make you question what is right or wrong. The ending is perfect (honestly don't look up the script or anything, just watch it). There is an American remake slated for a November release this year. I would watch the original first.