Adding a SSD to a built computer.

Is this process difficult? Im going to be looking into getting one in a couple days, and am curious if its much of a hassle to get stuff working from the new SSD. Is it possible to just 'copy' things over? or will I have to do a fresh install or whatever of the things I want to move onto it?

Also, what exactly should I put onto the SSD? I know the OS goes, and games I play a lot. But is there anything else that I should have on there that would improve performance/load times also?

It's literally the easiest upgrade process you can do. Open the computer, connect power cable, connect data cable, close computer.

You can just copy things over, including the OS but it's generally recommended to do a fresh install of the OS. Just put you're most used programs on it, never use it as data storage. Personally I have my OS, main 3D programs, start up prrograms and I rotate the game of the day on and off it.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2013-09-29 at 03:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enable AHCI in your bios before connecting the SSD.

You need to change your habits with an SSD as well, never for any reason whatsoever defrag it, period. It doesn't matter how defragmented it appears in software. It's supposed to appear that way due to storing information across multiple chips.

Research online, there are minor tweaks that are recommended, but not defragging it is the only serious thing you should be aware of. All other relevant information you will find online.

Do a fresh install of your OS.

SSD's are awesome, go enjoy the best upgrade you can buy for your OS.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2013-09-29 at 03:02 PM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Yea I have a 2TB HD already inside that will be for storage. Thanks for the reply's guys. I am definitely excited to finally have one.