174. This poll is closed
  • I have

33 18.97%
  • I have not

141 81.03%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I'll tell you a story.

I was in Florida, dorming in the first floor of an apartment complex. I had a room to myself and had 2 "roommates" who shared the other room.

In my room like usual on my labtop at my desk. Its raining hard outside. Feel something on my foot. Look down. A roach crawled on my slipper and touched the side of my foot.

I freaked out, it crawled under the desk. (Desk was ridiculously heavy to move. It was more like an armoir and desk combined.) Spent the next 3 hours standing up with a glass of water trying to splash it if it ever came out. Even begged a roommate to help me try and get it. We never did, it was too fast and the water always missed and I was too scared to touch it.

I slept on the couch that night pretending to just "be up" and next day after working I drove to my grandmas and spent the weekend there hoping it'd be gone when I came back.

Story continues a little lol.

Deleted
    I killed mosquitos and flies with my hands, does that count?

And of course I didn't kill cockroaches. Why would I waste such a nutricious source of food. Imagine a nice juicy cockroach and then someone taking it... and eating it!
    In fact, you don't need to imagine it, here you go:
    NSFW http://gallery.kingsnake.com/data/10..._roach-med.jpg
    Last edited by Eroginous; 2013-09-29 at 11:56 PM.

When I was 10 years old I remember crushing one against the table.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have not and will not. I have killed flys with my bare hands and their guts go everywhere and its really disgusting. Also did you know if you touch a cockroaches they will go off and they will clean them selves because the germs you have on your self are disgusting to them.

Quote Originally Posted by hamsterbom View Post

They don't survive in Norway, not hot and humid enough.
    They can survive a nuclear holocaust but not in Norway.......

10+ Year Old Account
    One of those little fucks that are the size of a sunflower seed? Yeah, definitely. One of the big guys that dart out while you're sorting through a lot of old stuff in your closet? Never. If I'm doing anything I suspect could have a chance of a regular sized cockroach somewhere nearby, I always have shoes on ready to terminate. :| I recently went through a bag of tools I had and found a dead one chilling on a set of wrenches. I kind of froze, got goosebumps and almost shrieked before I realized it was dead and carefully flung it out of the bag with a screwdriver. Then gave it a good stomp just to be safe.

I live in a housing complex and i go through many efforts to keep pests out especially since i have little control over whether they are here or not as i am connected to other peoples houses. Now the way i see it is they are fast little bastards and if i dont kill it the moment i see it, it could well get away and make more. Id rather have to wash my hand than risk one get away. So as soon as i see one, i will smack the hell out of it with my hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cockroaches cannot be broken in your bear hand. Just likes eggs.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, but I have killed a grasshopper with a .44 Mag, is that close enough?

Killed one with a bare foot too :P
    Life - Do not waste that gift, do not set it on a shelf for some future use; grab it with both hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mondroc View Post
    Well, I always thought cockroaches came because it was dirty.. not made it dirty.. Ive never even seen one O_o But no, I don't have it in me to kill things with my bear hands for no real reason. Maybe clean your house? (Not *you*, the cockroach killers)
    I think if I had bear hands I'd kill things bigger than cockroaches.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mondroc View Post
    Well, I always thought cockroaches came because it was dirty.. not made it dirty.. Ive never even seen one O_o But no, I don't have it in me to kill things with my bear hands for no real reason. Maybe clean your house? (Not *you*, the cockroach killers)
    You've been blessed not to have lived in a place with a roach problem. You won't get rid of roaches by being dirty but it doesn't mean you're dirty if you have them. Roaches eat anything, you don't necessarily have to be leaving food out to be feeding them. All it takes is the right conditions, maybe a neighbor, maybe some brush near your house, maybe you live in a relatively wet place/have a leak somewhere. Maybe they are just eating the inorganic stuff around your house.

I hate roaches. I will never kill one with my hands. They are actually relatively clean bugs, they have to keep their shells clean. That's why one of the best ways to kill roaches is with borax. They have to clean it off them which poisons them, it also reeks havoc on their shells. It literally destroys it or dries it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I'll tell you a story.

I was in Florida, dorming in the first floor of an apartment complex. I had a room to myself and had 2 "roommates" who shared the other room.

In my room like usual on my labtop at my desk. Its raining hard outside. Feel something on my foot. Look down. A roach crawled on my slipper and touched the side of my foot.

I freaked out, it crawled under the desk. (Desk was ridiculously heavy to move. It was more like an armoir and desk combined.) Spent the next 3 hours standing up with a glass of water trying to splash it if it ever came out. Even begged a roommate to help me try and get it. We never did, it was too fast and the water always missed and I was too scared to touch it.

I slept on the couch that night pretending to just "be up" and next day after working I drove to my grandmas and spent the weekend there hoping it'd be gone when I came back.

Story continues a little lol.

Yeah, if you've spent a decent amount of time in FL then you've encountered a roach. A lot of peoplewill move into a h ouse without knowing it has roaches or the roaches will slit in while they are moving in. Roaches love FL because of the temperature and water everywhere.

FYI, throwing water at roach is like encouraging it. They actually had in peoples drains. Drains are on of the main ways that roaches sspread, water is nothing to them, they love it.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    FYI, throwing water at roach is like encouraging it. They actually had in peoples drains. Drains are on of the main ways that roaches sspread, water is nothing to them, they love it.
    Part 2 of my story:

So another instance in Florida dorming. This is after my first encounter so I'm a little jaded and cautious. It's like 12 at night. I go to the bathroom. Look in the bathtub. There's a roach crawling around.

Immediately turn the shower on, drown the fuck out of it for like 3 whole minutes. It doesn't fit down the drain. It's not THAT big but it's a little bigger than the holes. I leave it and say I'll take it out before my next shower. Go to sleep.

Wake up the next morning, go to the bathroom. It's not there anymore, at least it doesn't look like it is. The drain holes were so dark and it wasn't much bigger. I just assume it fell through or it still is there and I'm not checking hard enough.

Brush my teeth. While looking in the mirror, I see something black behind me. It's a roach. I run out of the bathroom, grab a towel the housing provided, make my way back in the bathroom cautiously, and muster up enough courage to squish it with the towel (I was scared to even be near it). I squished the fuck out of it, it was partly on the towel partly and partly on the wall, but I squished it so hard it was just a stain, no body left. That towel stayed right where I dropped it behind the door for the rest of the 6 weeks I was there.

But I was surprised. I looked in the bathtub. The roach from last night wasn't there anymore. It fucking escaped our first encounter when I thought I drowned it, or at least had enough pressure to kill it.

And that's how I learned roaches don't drown.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpy View Post
    Nope nor do i ever want to.
    Pretty much this. A bunch of fuck that.
    There are good people in every corner of the planet. Unfortunately, the Earth is round.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Yeah, if you've spent a decent amount of time in FL then you've encountered a roach. A lot of peoplewill move into a h ouse without knowing it has roaches or the roaches will slit in while they are moving in. Roaches love FL because of the temperature and water everywhere.

I vote that we carpet bomb the state of florida with military-grade roach gas. It's the only way...

Deleted
    The only bugs I've killed with bare hands are mosquitoes. I've never seen a cockroach in my house and if I did, I certainly wouldn't kill it with anything.

I lived in FL and TX. Where they grow to dinosaur like proportions. And they show up regardless, my apartment was spotless and they still came in regularly. Luckily I have a husband that kills them for me. They're palmetto bugs (water beetles), and they live there. It's the one benefit to living Washington state. They're extremely uncommon up here! Yay!

I hate them with a passion :P biggest one I ever saw was 3 inches long, and could FLY. Ugh. They're disgusting, and the mere thought of squishing one with my bare hands... when I can barely muster the courage to kill one with one of my husband's big ass boots. lolno Duty weekends were when they normally showed up, too. No husband in sight! I had one land on me in bed one night, OH MY GOD. I freaked out. We moved our bedroom to our 2nd unused one :P No roaches went in there because the master bedroom had a bathroom.

My husband was also telling me that they lived in the barracks at NAS Pensacola, where he was attending A-school. They were extremely common, and even the local marines would scream like little girls when one ran across their feet. I don't envy them at all. Fuck Florida. I will NEVER go back. That was the worst 4 months of my life...
    Last edited by Felicia; 2013-10-02 at 07:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't even dare to take the risk to kill a spider with a piece of toilet paper, let stand kill a roach with my bare hands. The thought alone of hearing the squashing sound and having the blood on my hands.. ewwww..

I have never smashed one with my hands, that sounds disgusting. When I was 18, I went to greece with some friends. There wasn't much to do but go to the beach or get drunk, so we bought airsoft guns and spent some time shooting roaches that came into the hotel room from the outside. There were a lot of them on the palm trees and such. Back home in the frozen north we don't have those. And I'm glad, because I hate insects.
    Mother pus bucket!

Living next to the Bush for years I saw cockroaches daily. Inside id usually give them a spray and put them under a cup to die and be thrown outside. Other then that id boot stomp them, never used my hands to kill one.

I have however dissected several with my bare hands and scalpel so I guess that counts.