Voters
174. This poll is closed
  • I have

33 18.97%
  • I have not

141 81.03%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    My friend got so mad at one that he grabbed it by the leg, screamed at it and then threw it at the wall, which in turn made it explode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something about the Alaskan weather doesn't agree with cockroaches, so never actually seen any around. The few times I've seen one on vacation I just flicked them elsewhere.

Deleted
    I have, mostly because I didn't have a paper towel nearby one time, otherwise that's what I use to squash them, and then directly in the trash bin.

The easiest way to get rid of roaches though, even if you live in a building and are connected to other appartments, is to buy a set of traps from your supermarket and put them in every dark corner of your appartment (especially behind/under the fridge, under the sink, behind the toilet, etc...).
    You don't want traps that kill them instantly, or the sticky ones. You want the ones that poison them, let them live long enough to go back to the nest and die, and let the others eat the cadaver and get poisoned themselves. With such traps, even if other tenants keep getting roaches, quickly enough they'll stop even trying to set foot into your place because they keep dying there, and any nest that tries to install itself in your place will be destroyed quickly. Traps like those usually cost 3-4€ and last for 2-3 months, so it's not even expensive.
    Unless you got the bigger types of roaches, then you might want to use professional grade traps which is a bit more expensive, but still way less expensive and more effective than sprays.
    Boric acid works well too, you can make little sugary balls of it by mixing it with condensed milk and put those behind the fridge etc...costs almost nothing and it also will destroy nests in a few days.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can't say that I've done this.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    Considering that cockroaches are considered disgusting to some people, and that people tend to kill them for hygiene reasons, I was wondering how many have actually killed one with their bare hand, without gloves or a in-between object like a newspaper.
    Roaches dwell in unsanitary area's but it's to my understanding that they themselves are perfectly harmless, don't generally carry any sort of Diseases and tend to be one of the cleaner bugs found in nature, I actually live in a town that is completely infested with them to the point that you could call Terminex every 3 days and still not be completely rid of them. though they are the smaller variety not the big nasty looking ones you normally see on Tv.

And yes I've killed them with my hands before, but never considered it a good idea to use your hands to squash anything that has guts.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    yerp, washed my hands afterwards. They're just insects. Add bees, wasps, flies, mosquitos etc to the list. Bee was accidental, got stung, so was the wasp, stung again ).

Deleted
    Oh hell no!

Deleted
    I have never seen a cockroach in real life

Deleted
    Don't think I've ever seen one, probably there isn't any where I live.

I avoid squishing anything larger than a fire ant with bare hands/feet. "It's gross" is the closest to a logical explanation I can think of. I just don't like the idea of bug guts on my skin...and roaches in particular tend to make a mess.

On a related note: nothing that large should be allowed to move so silently.

You are not a real New Yorker until you've killed a cockroach with your bare hands.

I've grown up in an apartment with so many roaches that I probably killed hundreds of them by walking over them in the kitchen in the dark. I've also squished quite a few with bare hands, although I don't really do it with an open palm, rather my fist only.

I've also eaten a live ant though on a bet, so clearly my thresholds are quite low.

I love hearing that crunch and pop as their guts shoot out of their assholes. I hate the disgusting little creatures.
    So they may carry a few germs, washing them off with a splash of Microshield is no big deal.
    Last edited by felixq78; 2017-03-14 at 12:27 PM.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    This thread is 2.5 years old. Closing for necro.