10+ Year Old Account

Warlock AOE currently

Hello Warlocks,
    I have an alt lock I made in begining of MoP. I was doing SWP yesterday and since my lock is JC I took him for trash hoping I could get some JC recipes. As usual with my hunter/warr I pulled like 20 trash and was going to AOE them down.
    Was demonology spec.
    Used bladestorm for felguard (I think thats his name?).
    Hand of guldan (the aoe with 2 charges)
    Hellfire

Did like half the HP damage to the mobs. I was shocked to say the least. My Hellfire was ticking for 3k -_-'
    So I popped demon form, use chaos wave. 10k hit ?????? I remember chaos wave hitting for 6 digits back in 5.0 with blue gear (maybe I am just delusional).
    My locks armory if it's relevant: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Trux/advanced

So then I tried Destruction, same thing. Rain of fire ticking for 3k...

I hopped on my hunter and was hitting for 20-30k with multishot, then serpent sting ticking for 40k.
    So what happened to warlock AOE? Or did I do something totally wrong?
    PM me weird stuff :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    Res Sickness?
    Funny, but no >.>
    Was hitting usual numbers with single target abilities.

You will do a ton more damage if you use your abilities in metamorphosis. Since the mobs don't give exp or honor, you will not get any fury from killing them sadly, but you can kill 1 pack in caster form, and then the next one in Metamorphosis. When you enter metamorphosis, just activate Mannoroth's Fury and Immolation Aura, and I'd be surprised if Immolation Aura ticked for anything less than 20k.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud

Deleted
    Whats the warlocks ilvl?

AOE has a kind of target cap -- when AOE'ing more than 20 mobs at once the damage gets divided betweeen them instead hitting them individually.

So for example if your Chaos Wave usually hits for 100k, then when hitting 20 targets it will do 100k to each mob. But with 21 targets it will do less than 5k to each mob.

[QUOTE=Cyrops;22585029]Hello Warlocks,
    I have an alt lock I made in begining of MoP. I was doing SWP yesterday and since my lock is JC I took him for trash hoping I could get some JC recipes. As usual with my hunter/warr I pulled like 20 trash and was going to AOE them down.
    Was demonology spec.
    Used bladestorm for felguard (I think thats his name?).
    Hand of guldan (the aoe with 2 charges)
    Hellfire

Did like half the HP damage to the mobs. I was shocked to say the least. My Hellfire was ticking for 3k -_-'
    So I popped demon form, use chaos wave. 10k hit ?????? I remember chaos wave hitting for 6 digits back in 5.0 with blue gear (maybe I am just delusional).
    My locks armory if it's relevant: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Trux/advanced

So then I tried Destruction, same thing. Rain of fire ticking for 3k...

I hopped on my hunter and was hitting for 20-30k with multishot, then serpent sting ticking for 40k.
    So what happened to warlock AOE? Or did I do something totally wrong?[/QUOTE

Lock aoe at least destroy anyway is no where near what it was in 5.3 thanks to changes to mannoroths fury and rof not generating embers worth mentioning Which makes it very difficult to maintain fnb. Blizz overnerfed the spec. Unfortunately the rof change had the adverse effect of nerfing our single target dps as well. can no longer use rof on multitargets to refill embers and then chuck multiple cb in a row as a result. Im still trying to figure a way around it but so far without much success - having trouble breaking 200k deeps with 540 gear and getting buried in guild raids. Good times. This was the best sustained aoe in the game which made up for the lackluster single target damage. hopefully they will fix it but don't hold your breath.
    Last edited by Tritone496; 2013-09-28 at 01:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    AOE has a kind of target cap -- when AOE'ing more than 20 mobs at once the damage gets divided betweeen them instead hitting them individually.

So for example if your Chaos Wave usually hits for 100k, then when hitting 20 targets it will do 100k to each mob. But with 21 targets it will do less than 5k to each mob.
    So this nerf only affects warlocks? ....
    Boy, glad I don't play my lock at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    No, the aoe cap applies to all abilities that hit more than one target. It just behaves strangely when you aren't thinking about how the spell works.

If a spell does damage, and *then* applies a dot - eg soulburn SoC, or that multishot>serpent sting thing, it will have capped initial damage, but the dots are all single target damage, and will tick for full.

tldr, use sbsoc if you are trying to kill a million mobs, instead of standard soc/rof/hellfire, and things will go much better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post

uhhhh... 21 targets would do 100,000*20/21... not under 5k

Quote Originally Posted by tritone496 View Post
    Lock aoe at least destroy anyway is no where near what it was in 5.3 thanks to changes to mannoroths fury and rof not generating embers worth mentioning Which makes it very difficult to maintain fnb. Blizz overnerfed the spec. Unfortunately the rof change had the adverse effect of nerfing our single target dps as well. can no longer use rof on multitargets to refill embers and then chuck multiple cb in a row as a result. Im still trying to figure a way around it but so far without much success - having trouble breaking 200k deeps with 540 gear and getting buried in guild raids. Good times. This was the best sustained aoe in the game which made up for the lackluster single target damage. hopefully they will fix it but don't hold your breath.
    My destro lock does 800k on garrossh ads when aoeing.

rijn dael: the linked information is outdated, reglitch is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    Hunter AoE works differently. Only Multi-shot itself gets the AoE DR. Serpent Sting is applied to each target Multi-shot hit and then triggers Serpent Spread, which does 15% of SrS's DoT damage instantly whenever SrS is applied.

DoTs applied by AoE attacks are not subject to AoE DR reductions.

With the damage of hellfire decreased by 30%, the spec does best AoE damage is destruction