Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    New professions?

    Will guild wars 2 ever see any new ones? I've tried googling it, but the closest I come is the April fools joke of the commando. I really liked the ritualist and the dervish in guild wars 1. As others may argue I'd like to see a paragon that isn't like the guardian. I like the ranged 'support' feel of 'light' so to speak.

    Even over that, we had a new one in guild wars 2, the engineer so I'm just curious if we're stuck with what we got forever, or if they hinted at any plans of new professions in the future.

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    3,766
    1) Most recent comment by the devs is nothing is off the table.
    2) We don't know anything more than you do.
    Morpheus: Do you believe that my being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles in this place? Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

  3. #3
    They did talk about maybe another Heavy armor guy to even out the armors, but the issue is what role is missing? What would set the new class apart?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    They did talk about maybe another Heavy armor guy to even out the armors, but the issue is what role is missing? What would set the new class apart?
    I thought anyone could do anything in this game? I'm new to gw2, but to my understanding I thought ele's could tank, necromancers could support/heal, engineers could control, and well I guess anyone can dps.

    Thats just to my understanding with multiple weapon sets and tons of customization options for builds.

  5. #5
    They'll probably expand the current classes before adding new ones. Things like new traits, new skills, and letting classes use weapons they couldn't previously use.

    I'm sure they'll add new ones eventually, but don't count on it anytime soon.

  6. #6
    Each of the classes has a feel to it and an array of powers that handle things differently. Like some are better at applying conditions, or removing conditions. I didn't mean "role" as in the trinity tank/heal/dps sense, but just in the sense that a warrior and a guardian are different, so they need to find a new different in order to justify the work that a new heavy-armor class might bring.

  7. #7
    I see
    10chars

  8. #8
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    3,766
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    They'll probably expand the current classes before adding new ones. Things like new traits, new skills, and letting classes use weapons they couldn't previously use.

    I'm sure they'll add new ones eventually, but don't count on it anytime soon.
    That's what I think as well.
    Morpheus: Do you believe that my being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles in this place? Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    They'll probably expand the current classes before adding new ones. Things like new traits, new skills, and letting classes use weapons they couldn't previously use.

    I'm sure they'll add new ones eventually, but don't count on it anytime soon.
    This is truth. In fact this is officially what they want to do.

    New Skill and Traits

    We’ll begin regularly adding new skills and traits to the game for each profession to expand your characters and builds! You will be able to earn these new traits and skills by unlocking them. To go along with this, we’ll expand the content and options to earn skill points to help encourage players to experience different challenges and content throughout the world. These skills and traits will be designed to be balanced with the existing skills/traits we currently have in the game, and will simply compliment and expand the range of abilities and tactics available to each profession. Both WvW and PvE players can acquire skills and traits, and additional means of earning skill points will be addressed for both core content areas.
    The regular addition of skills and traits that you can earn as you play provides us an extremely stable, easily expandable reward system that fits neatly into the pillars of progression and advancement that Guild Wars 2 are all about. Your character will be able to grow and change for years to come without invalidating everything you’ve earned so far.
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/l...ars-2-in-2013/

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    This is truth. In fact this is officially what they want to do.



    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/l...ars-2-in-2013/
    Shhh, I'm trying to make it look like I can predict the future.

  11. #11
    Thats right, I remember reading that about wvw

  12. #12
    Warchief Razael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,018
    I'd like to see the Dervish, in heavy robe armor, sorta like Warmarshal Varesh-esque. To fill that 3rd Soldier Profession. That said i can't picture Dervish with any other weapon than a Scythe, and GW2 doesn't have professions function around one weapon type. Not sure how that would work out.

  13. #13
    Pandaren Monk barackopala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chile, Viña del Mar
    Posts
    1,759
    I just want to use polearms, POLEARMS GUARDIAN SPIN HOOO!!!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Razael View Post
    I'd like to see the Dervish, in heavy robe armor, sorta like Warmarshal Varesh-esque. To fill that 3rd Soldier Profession. That said i can't picture Dervish with any other weapon than a Scythe, and GW2 doesn't have professions function around one weapon type. Not sure how that would work out.
    When a necromancer attacks with a staff it turns into a scythe. Dervish can work like that, anytime it attacks its current weapon forms an extension of a scythe or sickle.

  15. #15
    Warchief Razael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,018
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    When a necromancer attacks with a staff it turns into a scythe. Dervish can work like that, anytime it attacks its current weapon forms an extension of a scythe or sickle.
    Oh hadn't thought about that , good idea.

  16. #16
    I could see a Dervish with some other weapons like a one handed sword and shield. Of course the scythe is iconic but a Dervish is a desert warrior really and they had plenty of weapons.

    Not sure how a Dervish would work with the lore though since the gods are gone now.

  17. #17
    Nothing is off off ANet's table. However, nothing seems to be coming to the player's table anytime soon.

    ANet is going to have some major issues soon.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by zed zebes View Post
    Nothing is off off ANet's table. However, nothing seems to be coming to the player's table anytime soon.

    ANet is going to have some major issues soon.
    Why do you say this?

  19. #19
    They need to iron out the issues with the current professions before adding new ones. The Oct 15(ish) patch is a pretty good first step, but there is still a good amount of work to do with the professions and their traits.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    They need to iron out the issues with the current professions before adding new ones. The Oct 15(ish) patch is a pretty good first step, but there is still a good amount of work to do with the professions and their traits.
    Not to be a giant 'critic,' but balance is nigh impossible in a game with thousands of people in it doing & trying different things everyday. I thought we'd learned this from other mmo's?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •