Deleted

Are Frost Mages Squishy?

Just lookiing for the opinions of some experienced mages. I have a Sp main and a lock alt, i do like both but i am getting board and dare i say i fancy a frost mage, thing is though im afraid they might be abit squishy compared to what im used to, could anybody shed their opinion pretty plz?

Mages have absolutely fantastic defensive cooldowns but are practically made of paper outside of those

Deleted
    Our defensive cooldowns are absolute win. If you manage to play them properly, you can last a lifetime or three.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keejos View Post
    Our defensive cooldowns are absolute win. If you manage to play them properly, you can last a lifetime or three.
    Playing properly is the key word. Without defensive cooldowns, yes, you're arguably the squishiest class ingame, so don't waste them.

Deleted
    Ty lads. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but what defensive cds exactly? i can only think of barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Antefex View Post
    Ty lads. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but what defensive cds exactly? i can only think of barrier.
    Well, there's mitigation from lv30 talents and Greater Invisibility, cheat death mechanic of Cauterize, healing with glyphed Evocation and Cold Snap. But mostly you'll want to prevent damage with Blink, novas, Ice Block, Deep Freeze, Blazing Speed and defensive Alter Time.

E.g. properly used Temporal Shield and Alter Time provide you with up to 3 life bars. But if used incorrectly, you die a horrible death (Alter Time at low health, get healed to full, Alter Time back to low health, dead).

The main difference between Mage and Shadow Priest is that you don't tank. There's Blink every 15 sec to remove stuns and roots, there are multiple slows and novas to kite, Blazing Speed to ignore snares, Greater Invisibility is your mini Dispersion and you can also clear all dots and CCs with Ice Block (except Cyclone).
    Last edited by Nightfall; 2013-09-29 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    Well, there's mitigation from lv30 talents and Greater Invisibility, cheat death mechanic of Cauterize, healing with glyphed Evocation and Cold Snap. But mostly you'll want to prevent damage with Blink, novas, Ice Block, Deep Freeze, Blazing Speed and defensive Alter Time.

E.g. properly used Temporal Shield and Alter Time provide you with up to 3 life bars. But if used incorrectly, you die a horrible death (Alter Time at low health, get healed to full, Alter Time back to low health, dead).

The main difference between Mage and Shadow Priest is that you don't tank. There's Blink every 15 sec to remove stuns and roots, there are multiple slows and novas to kite, Blazing Speed to ignore snares, Greater Invisibility is your mini Dispersion and you can also clear all dots and CCs with Ice Block (except Cyclone).
    but despite all that arsenal as it sounds so many classes have catch up mechanics which pretty much nulifies most of these in no time at all.

In answer to your question we have CDs which can be powerful but rarely get the chance to shine the other end to DPS due to having to constantly kite and now CAST while moving which doesn't happen.

I'd stick with the SP/lock if you like a non squishy caster.
    Last edited by Salystra; 2013-09-30 at 01:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equim View Post
    I really don't see anything wrong with playing what you enjoy. Be it Frost, Fire, Arcane or Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Mages have absolutely fantastic defensive cooldowns but are practically made of paper outside of those
    Besides Ice Barrier, I'd say we actually have among the worst defensives o.o; (definitely not THE worst class, but among the worst)

Ice Block sure, but during that time, you can't do anything either (it's by far the worst of the 3 Immunities in the game, the others being Divine Shield and Deterrence). As for the other, G Invis only blocks one/a few attacks at best. Cauterize... well, you need Ice Block, Ice Barrier, a Potion, or outside healing to make that effective, and Cold Snap simply isn't as good as G Invis is, but it's fairly good in PvP where you can make use of the CoC/Nova reset.

Like Nick said though, excluding our (what I deem decent to bad) cooldowns, we are incredibly squishy, having the least Base HP and Armor in the game with no spells that increase either (with the exception of if you have Molten Armor up, which you ONLY do in PvE as Fire, and only then, it gives you enough Physical Reduction to make you equivalent to a high-leather/low-mail armored player). Mages are all about avoiding damage from being taken in the first place, rather than simply reducing damage done to us or healing it back, which is why we have 2 (3 with Cauterize) "Mechanic Cheesing" cooldowns, and spells that give us movement like Blazing Speed and Blink.

In terms of pure, raw, defensive power though (excluding avoiding things), we're one of the worst.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Salystra View Post
    Choose lock then. SP healing is very weak atm, plus the loss of overall 15% dmg reduction from Shadowform made them a lot less tank-y.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also don't forget about your water elms ranged snare. Works great on incoming attacks, makes the other class either wait while you get further away or waste their trinket in pvp.

Deleted
    yes mages are by far the squishiest class and since every meele has 125 gapclosers its very frustrating thats why I play warlock now. I suggest u do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Salystra View Post
    I see you haven't played SP lately.

10+ Year Old Account
    frost mages are usually glass canons, however some skilled mages (as i have experienced) can last pretty long