Could it be the video card?

I bought a computer from iBuyPower back in January. It's pretty much been a problem since I got it. I shipped the computer a couple weeks ago to them to get this problem fixed. I got it back yesterday and I'm pretty sure they did nothing. This is also the second time I shipped it out (on my dime, even though it's under warranty) to them and received it back with the same exact problem. I took it to a friend to get the first problem fixed. He did and told me they sent it to me with a damaged CPU (pins were bent). Anyways, to the current problem... When I have a web page open, for example, if I scroll down the page, each time I scroll, there's a sound that comes from the tower. I can't figure out exactly where it's coming from though. I don't know if it's the video card or something else. Is there anything else that could possibly be making some sort of sound? I don't have much knowledge on hardware, but could the motherboard be making any kind of sounds? With each single scroll, it makes the noise. When a page is loading, it'll make the noise until the page is done loading. If I click on the start button or click on a file, same deal.. It's hard to explain the noise, though. There's nothing that I can think of to compare it to. It's sort of high pitched, but not like a coil whine. That was another one of the many problems I had to get fixed. When the computer's on, all I should hear are the fans. Correct?

IBP - 4/10 would not buy from them again
    Last edited by Lbueno; 2013-09-29 at 11:35 PM.

Deleted
    Might be the PSU making noises under load.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can totally feel you: Had the same problem with a certain combination of PSU / motherboard a while back. The sound came from the voltage transformers for the cpu on the motherboard. Every time the cpu had to do something above idle, it would do that sound that is best described as someone trying to whisper with a mouth full of saliva. Switching to a different psu fixed that problem, although the sound did come from the motherboard and not the psu.***

But to speak in defence of ibuypower: It's not their fault and that kind of behavior does usually not fall under warranty. It's something you have to live with, unless you are willing to spend money on new parts yourself.

*** The problem here is, that you can't really say in advance, what psu will fix the problem. My combination was the Asus P7P55D motherboard with an older Tagan Piperock 500W semi-modular psu. I first tried a corsair cx500 psu and the problem was less noticeable, but still there. Going to a Seasonic S12 520W fixed it. I had the advantage that i could try out different psus without problems because at the time i worked in a computer retail shop...
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    But to speak in defence of ibuypower: It's not their fault and that kind of behavior does usually not fall under warranty. It's something you have to live with, unless you are willing to spend money on new parts yourself.
    In my opinion, when you're spending almost $800 on a computer, (I would think) most would want it to work the way it should. Hearing that sound is not part of a perfectly working computer. I would consider it, I don't know if I'd say a defect, but one or some of the parts are not working the way that they should. If it isn't working right, then to me, that would, or if not, should fall under the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Lbueno View Post
    I bought a computer from iBuyPower back in January. It's pretty much been a problem since I got it. I shipped the computer a couple weeks ago to them to get this problem fixed. I got it back yesterday and I'm pretty sure they did nothing. This is also the second time I shipped it out (on my dime, even though it's under warranty) to them and received it back with the same exact problem. I took it to a friend to get the first problem fixed. He did and told me they sent it to me with a damaged CPU (pins were bent). Anyways, to the current problem... When I have a web page open, for example, if I scroll down the page, each time I scroll, there's a sound that comes from the tower. I can't figure out exactly where it's coming from though. I don't know if it's the video card or something else. Is there anything else that could possibly be making some sort of sound? I don't have much knowledge on hardware, but could the motherboard be making any kind of sounds? With each single scroll, it makes the noise. When a page is loading, it'll make the noise until the page is done loading. If I click on the start button or click on a file, same deal.. It's hard to explain the noise, though. There's nothing that I can think of to compare it to. It's sort of high pitched, but not like a coil whine. That was another one of the many problems I had to get fixed. When the computer's on, all I should hear are the fans. Correct?

My friend bought a pretty powerful rig from them, he bought the extra "professional wiring" package. All they did was zip-tip them all in a giant bunch and throw it on top of the motherboard. I took 10 minutes and had it all re-wired behind the motherboard/case, properly.

Also he has had nothing but issues with his USB slots. They just stop working sometimes, even though it's under warranty, they want him to pay to ship it back.

I'll never order from them, though I never would need to

It's your hard drive 100%.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is also the second time I shipped it out (on my dime, even though it's under warranty) to them and received it back with the same exact problem. I took it to a friend to get the first problem fixed. He did and told me they sent it to me with a damaged CPU (pins were bent).
    So....when you took it to this friend, was the pc working at all, or just dead when you got it.