View Poll Results: After reading: Do you think HotS is EXP 5?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Make sense.

    39 17.57%
  • No! I have my doubts.

    119 53.60%
  • I'm not sure. Maybe.

    64 28.83%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
LastLast
  1. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by D4NNYB0Y View Post
    And TDB was allegedly signed and filed by the law offices of FRKelly who handle all of Blizzard's European trademark filings and are based in Dublin. The words "Live" and "Active" are not proof of anything, they simply signify that an application has been submitted, an application that has yet to even be glanced at by an examining attorney.



    You're still side-stepping the issue of why does Hearthstone not have this line in its list. Logically it is more pertinent to HS than any other Blizzard title.
    I call bollocks on that.

    Whenever a Trademark has ever showed up on the US search under Blizzard Entertainment, it has always been the real and done deal.
    "Good morning!" said Bilbo, and he meant it. The sun was shining, and the grass was very green. But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out farther than the brim of his shady hat.

    Author of: Mount 2.0 (MMO-Champion Thread)
    Author of: World Enhancement Patch 1.0 (MMO-Champion Thread)

  2. #142
    Unless something has changed since you made the op I still don't see how any of this rules out any of blizzard's games. You'd want to cover your bases and you can make a mobile stats app for anything that tracks them. I'd assume a competitive anything would have stats recorded, or a character sheet, or whatever. Not saying it can't be WoW related of course, I'm just saying we don't actually have evidence to go on at all.

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    I call bollocks on that.

    Whenever a Trademark has ever showed up on the US search under Blizzard Entertainment, it has always been the real and done deal.
    That's all well and good, but it still doesn't change the fact that you're misinterpreting the trademark process, finding proof where there is none, and spreading misinformation. Are you ever going to address the Hearthstone issue or are you just going let it sit there as the elephant in the room?

    *Edit*

    I apologize if these are coming off as attacks, because that's not my intent.

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    Your final point doesn't make sense. They don't have a continuously updated 'meta trademark' for all of WoW.
    World of Warcraft®
    ©2004 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. World of Warcraft, Warcraft and Blizzard Entertainment are trademarks or registered trademarks of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.

  5. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    Unless something has changed since you made the op I still don't see how any of this rules out any of blizzard's games. You'd want to cover your bases and you can make a mobile stats app for anything that tracks them. I'd assume a competitive anything would have stats recorded, or a character sheet, or whatever. Not saying it can't be WoW related of course, I'm just saying we don't actually have evidence to go on at all.
    I don't think they'd mention a 'stats app' in the trademark, though. That's the thing. They didn't for the Armory and similar apps. It would have to be a feature of the game, such as Pet Battles gone mobile.

    As far as we know, there is nothing for All-Stars which will be done through mobile. As in, a major feature. This is key.

    Now, I'm not saying my evidence is conclusive, but I am saying it makes it reasonable to believe that HotS is for WoW, not All-Stars or Hearthstone.

    Quote Originally Posted by D4NNYB0Y View Post
    That's all well and good, but it still doesn't change the fact that you're misinterpreting the trademark process, finding proof where there is none, and spreading misinformation. Are you ever going to address the Hearthstone issue or are you just going let it sit there as the elephant in the room?

    *Edit*

    I apologize if these are coming off as attacks, because that's not my intent.
    Please remind me of the Hearthstone issue, and I'll address it.

    I don't see any of this as misinformation. I see it as rational deductions based on the available information. It is, in my view, far more reasonable to believe HotS is for WoW than for Hearthstone or All-Stars.

    The name fits.
    The trademarking date fits.
    The Goods and Services text fits.

    Quote Originally Posted by mmoposter View Post
    World of Warcraft®
    ©2004 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. World of Warcraft, Warcraft and Blizzard Entertainment are trademarks or registered trademarks of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.
    That's for Vanilla, i.e. the name World of Warcraft. It doesn't protect The Burning Crusade, etc. or cover its features.
    "Good morning!" said Bilbo, and he meant it. The sun was shining, and the grass was very green. But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out farther than the brim of his shady hat.

    Author of: Mount 2.0 (MMO-Champion Thread)
    Author of: World Enhancement Patch 1.0 (MMO-Champion Thread)

  6. #146
    Over 9000! Gheld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,526
    Heroes of the Storm doesn't yet appear on the Canadian trademark database (although it was last updated September 24th). I think this would be the most conclusive because you have to pay the 250 dollar fee at the time of the application in Canada. Making it 100% troll proof.

  7. #147
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Heroes of the Storm doesn't yet appear on the Canadian trademark database (although it was last updated September 24th). I think this would be the most conclusive because you have to pay the 250 dollar fee at the time of the application in Canada. Making it 100% troll proof.
    You mean 'poor' troll proof. Trolling and money are not mutually exclusive. You have a point, but these threads are always ridiculous anyways. An OP claiming they've found a magical forumla that converts lead to gold...a page of people disproving his tin foil hattery...then pages of him defending his view as the only right one.

    It's laughable at best. They can be fun when the OP isn't defensive and adamant that they alone hold the key. Alas, this thread is an example of the worst of them.
    BAD WOLF

  8. #148
    Over 9000! Gheld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    You mean 'poor' troll proof. Trolling and money are not mutually exclusive. You have a point, but these threads are always ridiculous anyways. An OP claiming they've found a magical forumla that converts lead to gold...a page of people disproving his tin foil hattery...then pages of him defending his view as the only right one.

    It's laughable at best. They can be fun when the OP isn't defensive and adamant that they alone hold the key. Alas, this thread is an example of the worst of them.
    Well apparently people are calling the Heroes of The Storm trademark confirmed officially now. But it's quite a crapshoot as to when Blizzard decides to register trademarks in Canada.

    They applied for the MoP trademark 8/22 2011. Which is over 2 weeks later than the US application.

    http://www.cipo.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-ci...tIndexOnPage=1

    But
    http://www.cipo.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-ci...IndexOnPage=11
    They applied for the TM for World of Warcraft on August 31st 2001.

    So anybody who followed the Canadian Trademark database avidly would have known about World of Warcraft almost a year before Warcraft 3 even came out.

    EDIT: ^ If anything that shows just how long an R&D cycle Blizzard has. Chances are the next xpac was already storyboarded by the time burning crusade came out.

    EDIT 2: Also, it appears that you can't search the canadian database via registrant name. So any applications that are under their registrant's name will be difficult to find.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2013-10-01 at 03:07 PM.

  9. #149
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    EDIT: ^ If anything that shows just how long an R&D cycle Blizzard has. Chances are the next xpac was already storyboarded by the time burning crusade came out.
    I've heard whispers and some comments alluding to the fact that they are actively developing next xpac, while planning the one after, while we are currently in content.

    Some things they have said directly, like knowing about WotLK when vanilla was out. Basically the thematic elements and concepts are already established. It's the particulars that they hammer out over time. TBC was probably 'finished' planning wise very soon after original WoW launched.

    If you think about it, it has to be that way in any case. Voice actors, composer, cinematics team, quest designers...all these people need ample time for writing, recording, etc. We like to think that they can just whip these things up overnight, but it's a pretty involved process. One of the reasons intial MMO production lasts 5+ years and takes millions of dollars.
    BAD WOLF

  10. #150
    Frankly, I think you're over-analyzing a bit on the whole name thing. The whole "Heroes of the Storm" name seems very vague and doesn't give any implication as to what we could be doing. It's very unlike Blizzard to designate a name to an expansion, where the name doesn't give the least idea as to what the expansion is about. Compare this to the other expansion names:
    "Wrath of the Lich King" The Lich King was implying his wrath upon us and we went to kill him
    "Cataclysm" The Cataclysm was an event that happened as a direct consequence of Deathwing's uprising
    "Mists of Pandaria" We went to Pandaria.
    Cálás EU Earthen Ring
    <Horde of the Night>

  11. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by CalasEU View Post
    Frankly, I think you're over-analyzing a bit on the whole name thing. The whole "Heroes of the Storm" name seems very vague and doesn't give any implication as to what we could be doing. It's very unlike Blizzard to designate a name to an expansion, where the name doesn't give the least idea as to what the expansion is about. Compare this to the other expansion names:
    "Wrath of the Lich King" The Lich King was implying his wrath upon us and we went to kill him
    "Cataclysm" The Cataclysm was an event that happened as a direct consequence of Deathwing's uprising
    "Mists of Pandaria" We went to Pandaria.
    Cataclysm was completely vague until you find out what the cataclysm was.
    Storm is vague until you find out what the storm is and who the heroes are.
    You tried too hard and now your post is shit. Never try too hard, the gamble isn't worth it. -Boubouille

  12. #152
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Cataclysm was completely vague until you find out what the cataclysm was.
    Storm is vague until you find out what the storm is and who the heroes are.
    X-Men/WoW crossover.

    Calling it now. All signs point to it. This is irrefutable and nothing anyone says can prove otherwise.
    BAD WOLF

  13. #153
    Over 9000! Gheld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I've heard whispers and some comments alluding to the fact that they are actively developing next xpac, while planning the one after, while we are currently in content.

    Some things they have said directly, like knowing about WotLK when vanilla was out. Basically the thematic elements and concepts are already established. It's the particulars that they hammer out over time. TBC was probably 'finished' planning wise very soon after original WoW launched.

    If you think about it, it has to be that way in any case. Voice actors, composer, cinematics team, quest designers...all these people need ample time for writing, recording, etc. We like to think that they can just whip these things up overnight, but it's a pretty involved process. One of the reasons intial MMO production lasts 5+ years and takes millions of dollars.
    As I've always eluded to, Warcraft 3 probably started development simultaneously with World of Warcraft. Hence why the plotline of Warcraft 3 centers around establishing moral ambiguity for the Horde and establishing mutual villains with the alliance. The 2001 Trademark filing date in Canada is pretty damning evidence of my premise. :P

    It was probably along the lines of "Hey, let's make Warcraft into an MMO". "Sure, and we can have some players be horde, some players be alliance, and they can fight each other." "But what if somebody wants to be Horde, and be a good guy?" "I know, let's make another Warcraft game where it turns out the horde was under a magical spell...no... demonic influence!" and that's probably where Warcraft 3 came from.

    EDIT:^ Hence also why Thrall was "Hyper good" and the Alliance was full of morally ambiguous douchebags up until the end of Wrath of the Lich King. Because the Horde and Alliance had to be morally equalized.

  14. #154
    Scarab Lord Grubjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Spook central
    Posts
    4,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazlofski View Post
    If this is the expansion name, I will be quitting WoW.

    Being 100% sure it isn't means I ain't going to
    but even if it were, don't you think quitting would be an over-reaction?
    .


    When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

  15. #155
    Bloodsail Admiral Teebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    "Sunny" Florida
    Posts
    1,174
    What if they are planning on combining the speculated names?

    "The Dark Storm"
    -or-
    "The Storm Below"

  16. #156
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    What if they are planning on combining the speculated names?

    "The Dark Storm"
    -or-
    "The Storm Below"
    ...and that would somehow lead them to file two completely different names that wouldn't protect the actual name they want? That's likely...
    BAD WOLF

  17. #157
    Blizzard is really trying to ruin the series, I don't understand why. I started playing when Wotlk was the new and exciting expansion. I miss it!

  18. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    I don't think they'd mention a 'stats app' in the trademark, though. That's the thing. They didn't for the Armory and similar apps. It would have to be a feature of the game, such as Pet Battles gone mobile.

    As far as we know, there is nothing for All-Stars which will be done through mobile. As in, a major feature. This is key.
    Mobile Authenticator attached to Blizzard All-stars. That's what the stats app is for.

  19. #159
    Heroes of the Storm is showing on the Canadian TM site now, I'm certain it's a legit TM but I am skeptical it will be X5.

    http://www.cipo.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-ci...tIndexOnPage=1

    But, didn't Blizzard All-Stars get canned? Also they are 1 month away from the X5 reveal so they have to have registered the trademark by now or risk it being stolen.

    So unless there is another TM out there filed recently I guess this must be it.

  20. #160
    The Patient vickvinegar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    anaheim honda center
    Posts
    284
    I just can't see blizzard making an xpac name sounding so close to Heart of the Swarm...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •