Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Whats with the whole divided areas thing?

I am an MMO vet but FF beginner so this might be familiar to everyone, but why is the map divided up into 'Rooms'? doesn't this effectively make flying mounts impossible?

It also makes map continuity and immersion not as good. Don't get me wrong I like the game a lot but having to work out where to exit a map to get to the target area is a pain.

I understand that not having to render everything at once gives a massive performance boost but other MMO's have open maps just fine.

Does anyone know the logic behind this design choice?

In a game that you can teleport to any zone no matter how far without a cooldown, why would you need or want a flying mount? On your second point, the separate zones have been a FF trend for a while now. Since FFX I believe, so most of us are use to it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

1) flying mounts would kill this game as everywhere would look empty of players.

2) I can only think that Ff games consist of lots of load screens as you progress so maybe that wanted it this way to give a more traditional ff feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Boshtastic View Post
    I am an MMO vet but FF beginner so this might be familiar to everyone, but why is the map divided up into 'Rooms'? doesn't this effectively make flying mounts impossible?

It also makes map continuity and immersion not as good. Don't get me wrong I like the game a lot but having to work out where to exit a map to get to the target area is a pain.

I understand that not having to render everything at once gives a massive performance boost but other MMO's have open maps just fine.

Does anyone know the logic behind this design choice?

the programmers arent that great for the FF XIV game thats why, they were sub par.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkeeee View Post
    1) flying mounts would kill this game as everywhere would look empty of players.

2) I can only think that Ff games consist of lots of load screens as you progress so maybe that wanted it this way to give a more traditional ff feeling.

Flying mounts would not kill the game look at world of warcraft, aion, that really bad clone city of heroes. It just needs to be done right.
    The loading screens are literally one of the worst things about the game you cant go 2 feet without loading something, speaking to a npc loading, wana go to a zone loading, want to goto a dungeon loading, want to use a airship super long loading and lack of scenery.

My god how could you say that is a more traditional FF feeling? The only thing that technically had loading screens was the Fights.

I gather the various zones were originally joined together into much larger "mega zones" in the original FF14, and apparently the players didn't like this much. I suspect the decision to split the zones up was prolly a desire to harken a bit more to wow...but I feel they did the spilt very strange, so instead of being zones in a continuous world...yeah OP is right, they're basically like separate rooms.

I really think I'd prefer if the world was continuous like a WoW continent, at least when it makes sense
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

I'm not really against this overall but what DOES bother me is that every major city appears to be divided in two. At least let the city be one unit! Bah, I'm so frustrated by running back and forth between Steps of Thal and what-not, I and the maps confused me quite a bit...

Bread is the paper of the food industry.
    You write your sandwich on it.

I played a lot of FFXI and it was just like this. Had to load every zone so I'm pretty use to it. It would have really surprised me if they hadn't divided the world up into zones. I don't see it as a big deal but I don't have long load times.

Cities were divided in 11 as well, except it was usually 3 or 4 zones to a city, not just 2.

Doesn't really bother me at all. Some MMOs are completely seamless, others aren't. I've played games from both categories, and it only really annoys me if the zones are small. They aren't in Final Fantasy, so it's kind of a non-issue for me. It doesn't necessarily make flying mounts impossible, but I hope that they don't put them in-game. There's not really a reason for them, particularly when you can just teleport almost anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post
    the programmers arent that great for the FF XIV game thats why, they were sub par.
    It has nothing to do with programmers being "sub-par." In 1.0 the areas were seamless, and it restricted the amount of detail that can be put into such a zone, on top of zone differinces, like going from North Shroud to snowy Coerthas, are easier to do with zone breaks.
    1.0 maps were basically loops of paths, and confusing and aggravating to navigate. "Oh, your target is right there, but it's up a cliff and you have to run 2 loops south and then a loop east and then back north"

I played FFXI for a long time, so I'm used to it.

It's not a game breaker and it results in a higher quality game (visually) than others that have seemless worlds.

This game doesn't need flying mounts with the Teleport feature, and heaven forbid you actually have to work to find out what you're supposed to do for a quest instead of the game telling you exactly what you're supposed to do and how you're supposed to do it /GASP! preposterous....

Cutscenes are way more of an issue for me than zone loading screens are.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I played FFXI for a long time, so I'm used to it.

It's not a game breaker and it results in a higher quality game (visually) than others that have seemless worlds.

This game doesn't need flying mounts with the Teleport feature, and heaven forbid you actually have to work to find out what you're supposed to do for a quest instead of the game telling you exactly what you're supposed to do and how you're supposed to do it /GASP! preposterous....
    Wait what? Who was talking about quests? Besides, this game has some of the easiest questing I've ever seen, it pretty much does tell you exactly what to do and how to do it.

Seamless worlds are nice but in most cases not worth the time to develop. Not many new MMOs do it; GW2, for example, has the same loaded areas.

Also consider that PS3 players share this world. I don't think the PS3 would have been able to handle it seamless.
    Do you play SimCity 5? Come join us on the MMO Champion Regions!
    My Origin friends list is full but hit me up by PM if you want to build a city with me.

As aikoyamamoto said, this game is played on PS3, which couldn't handle a completely open world. Hell, very few high-end computers could handle this world if it was completely open. It's fucking massive, and very densely populated with NPCs, objects, and monsters. And trees. There must be 50 billion trees in Eorzea...

As for flying mounts, we as a community didn't want them anyway. Part of the Final Fantasy atmosphere has always been that flight is a huge fucking deal. You'll see this in your story quests, when you put your ass on the line time and time again just to save one airship.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Flying mounts would not kill the game look at world of warcraft, aion, that really bad clone city of heroes. It just needs to be done right.
    The loading screens are literally one of the worst things about the game you cant go 2 feet without loading something, speaking to a npc loading, wana go to a zone loading, want to goto a dungeon loading, want to use a airship super long loading and lack of scenery.

My god how could you say that is a more traditional FF feeling? The only thing that technically had loading screens was the Fights.
    City of heroes was a clone, despite coming out before WoW... okay.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Seamless worlds are nice but in most cases not worth the time to develop. Not many new MMOs do it; GW2, for example, has the same loaded areas.

Also consider that PS3 players share this world. I don't think the PS3 would have been able to handle it seamless.
    I really hate that we suffer due to some shitty archaic console hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Halym View Post
    I'm not really sure if I would call it suffering. A few seconds of loading screens don't really matter to me, or break my immersion. We've dealt with loading screens since forever so I'm not sure why it's a big deal in an MMO. Besides, I'd rather be able to play with all of my PS3 friends.
    Do you play SimCity 5? Come join us on the MMO Champion Regions!
    My Origin friends list is full but hit me up by PM if you want to build a city with me.

Wait what? Who was talking about quests? Besides, this game has some of the easiest questing I've ever seen, it pretty much does tell you exactly what to do and how to do it.
    I was referring to the following info from the OP:
    The map is a little different than most MMO's, due to each area having it's own map page rather than all areas being on one map you can zoom in and out of, but it's still easy to navigate, it's just not as seamless as some other games, so you have to put forth a LITTLE bit more effort to find out where you're going.

How are we suffering exactly?

My problem is just that the load screens still seem to take a while even on my SSD. Not sure if it's not installed correctly on my SSD or the loading from the server takes a while, but it does get kinda annoying.

I have a 3 year old PC and it takes less than 5 seconds so not that big of a deal to me. At least its not as bad as SWTOR where you loaded 3-4 times just to get from one planet to the next.

All in all it is one of those things that makes it feel like an FF MMO imo.