Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    As much as I appreciate your passion, very few people will read a reply this large.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boshtastic View Post
    As much as I appreciate your passion, very few people will read a reply this large.
    You're the OP, if you're not even going to read that reply because it's 'too long' (it was a very well-typed response, btw) then you have no business making a thread in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    You're the OP, if you're not even going to read that reply because it's 'too long' (it was a very well-typed response, btw) then you have no business making a thread in the first place.
    Is my right to create threads, comment, not comment and read or not read posts as I please. Its I my discretion what I spend my time on, no one else's. That's part of being free.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkeeee View Post
    1) flying mounts would kill this game as everywhere would look empty of players.
    Yeah, cause instantly teleporting to villages and cities doesn't?

OP: I think they main reason is the engine they're using.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I'm not really against this overall but what DOES bother me is that every major city appears to be divided in two. At least let the city be one unit! Bah, I'm so frustrated by running back and forth between Steps of Thal and what-not, I and the maps confused me quite a bit...
    That's the only thing that really bothers me as well, along with the waking sands, I really can't understand why 2 loading screens are needed in that place.

Deleted
    To sum it up for the uninitiated : nobody likes walking 100 feet and getting a loading screen in a game that, in all decency, should have at very least, the entire zone un-gated, if not the entire map.
    This, for me, was a major let down, outside the numerous other. In one of the starter zones, the main city is literally split into at least 4 smaller zones gated behind loading screens. That is just plain ridiculous, if not even disgraceful....

Watch this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei0GxMOBztA

And skip to 8:50, and you'll see why we missed nothing by not having seamless zones in XIV. Or just watch the entire thing, he explains some more about how boring it was to travel in XIV 1.0

Deleted
    with regards to flights... i take it a lot of people here arent FF fans, i seem to recall most FF games having air ships and they were a major part to the game and feel, sadly FF10 broke this rule and found it a bit rubbish, the game is more like FF12 above everything, hell zodiark gets a mention, if you played enough of FF12, you will find the reference.

the people that dont want flights are so call FF fans who dont like wow and dont want that feature in it, nothing more, just butt hurt people from wow, now im a FF fan i would prefer airships of our own since MOST FF games have them to control directly

Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post
    the programmers arent that great for the FF XIV game thats why, they were sub par.

- - - Updated - - -

Flying mounts would not kill the game look at world of warcraft, aion, that really bad clone city of heroes. It just needs to be done right.
    The loading screens are literally one of the worst things about the game you cant go 2 feet without loading something, speaking to a npc loading, wana go to a zone loading, want to goto a dungeon loading, want to use a airship super long loading and lack of scenery.

My god how could you say that is a more traditional FF feeling? The only thing that technically had loading screens was the Fights.
    I think you just proved his point. The only lively zones in WoW are those with flying disabled. Flying mounts hurt MMOs more than help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    To sum it up for the uninitiated : nobody likes walking 100 feet and getting a loading screen in a game that, in all decency, should have at very least, the entire zone un-gated, if not the entire map.
    This, for me, was a major let down, outside the numerous other. In one of the starter zones, the main city is literally split into at least 4 smaller zones gated behind loading screens. That is just plain ridiculous, if not even disgraceful....
    I don't think this city of yours exists.

Seriously though I'm really not a fan of it either, but this isn't the first time in the ff genre so really nothing new.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't like it but I get used to it, I play the game for what it is, I don't gripe too hard on things that I know can't and won't change. It's not the only MMO out there to do it either.

I find I don't really have any gameplay issues with the zones (it doesn't take TOO long to switch between them. Will agree with an earlier poster that SWTOR was a nightmare of loading when you switched planets(IE: zones))

I suppose the main thing I don't like about it is that it just makes the world itself feel LESS like a world and more like a video game. Obviously I understand a video game is what I'm playing ( ) but...I suppose in an MMO sense, I just kinda like the seamless style continents for that wold feeling ya know? I also disliked that about Guild Wars 2 (Tho that game is plagued with many MANY other issues, load times among them)
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    Is my right to create threads, comment, not comment and read or not read posts as I please. Its I my discretion what I spend my time on, no one else's. That's part of being free.
    "You're making too much damn sense. I'm going to ignore you now."

That's essentially what I got out of that.

By the by, these "rooms" are called zones, and they've been around forever. Oh, Karnor's Castle, how I loathe thee. Train to zone!
    Last edited by Mekanikos; 2013-10-06 at 05:40 AM.
    Tashar Moondancer
    Adamantoise

Battlemaster Sabria
    Lightning's Blade
    (H) Protection Paladin

This post + your previous post means it is everyone's right to ignore every useless thing you will say from here on out. If you aren't even going to try listening to someone who's answering your questions, there's no reason for anyone to care what you have to say.

I really dislike this about the game.

Deleted
    I am an MMO vet but FF beginner so this might be familiar to everyone, but why is the map divided up into 'Rooms'? doesn't this effectively make flying mounts impossible?

It also makes map continuity and immersion not as good. Don't get me wrong I like the game a lot but having to work out where to exit a map to get to the target area is a pain.

I understand that not having to render everything at once gives a massive performance boost but other MMO's have open maps just fine.

Does anyone know the logic behind this design choice?
    I don't really have a problem with the loading screens, I see your point but for me after a while I don't really notice them. What ruins it for me mostly is all the invisible walls and zone barriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekanikos View Post
    "You're making too much damn sense. I'm going to ignore you now."

That's essentially what I got out of that.

By the by, these "rooms" are called zones, and they've been around forever. Oh, Karnor's Castle, how I loathe thee. Train to zone!
    And yet if I hadn't said anything nobody would be any the wiser and I still would have ignored the essay........ Simply pointing out my opinion then being told I HAVE to read it cos I am the OP is insane!

I have read every other reply because they are digestible and straight to the point, just how I like them. That's my choice.

And yet if I hadn't said anything nobody would be any the wiser and I still would have ignored the essay........ Simply pointing out my opinion then being told I HAVE to read it cos I am the OP is insane!

I have read every other reply because they are digestible and straight to the point, just how I like them. That's my choice.
    You asked a question. He wrote an answer. Then you complain that it's too long to read. It took me less than 2 minutes to read it. If you don't have time to read replies to your own thread, why are you posting?

The map is likely divided into zones because it plays cross-system with the PS3. And because FF14 is a highly detailed world as opposed to other MMOs, the consoles would likely choke and handicap those people on the PS3. Small zones with loading screen borders helps even the playing field. And the world is small enough that it doesn't need flying mounts (yet). Instant ability to teleport anywhere, and a chocobo to ride within a zone.

Deleted
    Im guessing it uses less data than traditional methods ?

I dunno just guessing