3rd Biggest Complain With This Game

I've already discussed my first and second biggest complaint with this game... Figured I'd continue down the list.

As always, I love this game, will continue to play it no matter what.

On thing that I despise is the face that spell animations do not match enemy cast bar times.

Example... Any mob with an AOE, you see the red circle on the ground and you run out, BUT, if you do not make it out before the cast bar goes off, you'll get hit (which is how it should be)... BUT... that spell doesn't land until a few second after the cast bar has finished. Whatever you see on the cast bar, add another second or two before that spell actually does damage.

Cast bar ends, you're still inside, but you run 20-30 yards away before the spell lands and BOOM, you still get hit by it. It's so annoying.

They need to make it so the spell lands at the exact moment the cast bar is done. Why is the move hitting me when it's clear to me and everyone else around me that I'm 30 yards away from the AOE area?

You don't need to make a new thread for each of your complaints, put them in one thread and update your original post or just put them in the mega thread where general things go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, it's clumsy, but it's not hard to deal with or anything. People just focus way too much on animations I guess and then refuse to just "do it right" the next time out of principle or something.
    That's just it. "Doing it right" isn't how it's currently designed. "Right" is the spell lands, when the cast bar ends. Whats currently in the game isn't whats currently "right"

@OP Its because the game only checks player locations 3 times in a second... Gamebreaking for raiding, hell yea.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it were game breaking, people would not be progressing. They are.

The word you are looking for is 'annoyance'. This is an annoyance, not a game breaker. They need to fix it either way, but I'm wondering if people know what game breaking actually means in this context.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I wonder how many times per second other MMOs check positions. It can't be TOO much more often I would think.

Besides, it's not like the phenomena of "Hey, I thought I was out of that circle..." is unique to FFXIV. I had it happen in WoW as well more than a couple times.
    I've had it happen to me in every other MMO on the market as well... but that's because of lag. Not because the spell lands 2 seconds after the spell is finished casting which the developers decided was intentional.

How many of these topics are you going to make, Komie?

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    How many of these topics are you going to make, Komie?
    Honestly... Maybe one more...

I'm running out of complaints...

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw #2, but what was #1?
    Anyway, I partially agree with you on this. While my personal preference would be what you're asking for, I can see why they did it. See, animations in this game are really intricate and flashy. It's honestly debatable when the exact "end" of the animation is. What is not debatable, however, is when a red circle appears and disappears. So I think that's why they did it that way.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I'd say go ahead and make thread number 4. Because a. I'm curious and b. fuck da po-lice!

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    If it were game breaking, people would not be progressing. They are.

The word you are looking for is 'annoyance'. This is an annoyance, not a game breaker. They need to fix it either way, but I'm wondering if people know what game breaking actually means in this context.
    Yeah I've learned most people today don't really know what game breaking is. Not being able to get your corpse in SWG 50% of the time, causing you too lose anything on you and in your inventory was game breaking ( which they completely removed after about 3 months I think). Your crafting profession made to supply pets to Creature Handlers, but not being useable other than decoration was game breaking ( actually my first max profession and then discovered I couldn't make money or do anything with it other than one shot Rancors lol).

Most of the complaints today are annoyances or just differences in opinion on designs. I don't think I've seen anything too game breaking since the " instance full " issue with WoW during WotLK. I guess the duty finder issues with questing early on would be one as well but they fixed that fairly quickly.

oh god, the instance full issue was game breaking as far as getting your progression done (guild or personal). I can recall the times running continuously into the portal trying to get your group in because if you were just lucky enough, you might get in, but most likely you were going to do that for a long time with no results

People were complaining about something similar in this game (full group, waiting for instance). I've not experienced it personally though; so maybe that has been resolved. Just like I don't see much of a queue to get into the server ... usually between 4-20 in queue, the highest I saw was almost 50 in queue which took maybe a min or two about 30 mins before maintenance (dc'd).

as far as damage vs animation ... my screen, for the longest time in MMOs, has been scrolled as far out as possible, but angled greatly down. I rarely see any animations.

While I can understand the visual ... synergy? ... disorientation; I can't see it as much of a problem.

Why? Because if you are reacting to a combination of animation and the red warning on the ground ... you should be MOVING at the start of the animation, not trying to wait for the last second. If you are playing reactionary, react. There is no reason to finish casting/attacking at all. Move for mechanics when they happen. If I move late, even if it was lag, I still blame myself for not reacting sooner.

It is doubly annoying as a healer, you want to finish off that cast to get the heal off; but it is never worth my death for a heal unless the tank was going to die anyway; and then, if it is that dire, something else has gone wrong already that most likely could've been prevented. What is worse, trying to raise/res people without swiftcast. Your group/raid is fine ... you think you found a safe spot to get that other healer or whoever up ... and you get randomly targeted and have to move. I swear it happens nearly every, single, time. I've only done pugs/finder; so I have found a fair share of people making mistakes (though the atmosphere of the group is nearly always positive despite any 'challenges'), so I do find the opportunity I'm trying to raise people learning fights or making mistakes quite often.

I'd consider a bug that makes something unkillable game breaking; or glitches like falling through world, going through walls/terrains in fights (remember being feared through the doors in ToCr and couldn't get back through them lol). I wouldn't even consider things like Blizz making intentional blocks (like spine heroic was) game breaking ... it may have been (nearly) impossible, but people did try and got really close despite the fact ... game breaking would've been falling through his back ... or say jumping on ICC ship and bouncing off an invisible wall down to your death imo.

I have had quite a few times where I've run out of the "This is bad enemy spell!" zones and still get hit. This may explai n why, I just assumed lag meant I wasn't quick enough, even if it looked like I was out before the spell got cast.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    I have had quite a few times where I've run out of the "This is bad enemy spell!" zones and still get hit. This may explai n why, I just assumed lag meant I wasn't quick enough, even if it looked like I was out before the spell got cast.
    *Be aware that the following is only rumor and hearsay*

I've been told that to ease up on server load when there are tons of players around (thus improving performance, in theory), the server only samples your location 3 times a second. So if you get out of a circle with less than .33 seconds left, you may still get hit. A way to counter this (again, just rumor) is to begin casting something the instant you get out of the circle, because apparently casting forces the server to sample your location again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamperica View Post
    If you want to run a monte carlo analysis on this, I would be happy to look over your results.

I would honestly fault lag:
    Player 1 "I was out of the circle"
    Player 2 "Not on my screen"
    I googled Monte Carlo analysis. Ended up reading the Wikipedia summary. That sounds really hard O.O Like, "we may need to bring in IBM consultants" hard...

Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    I've already discussed my first and second biggest complaint with this game... Figured I'd continue down the list.

As always, I love this game, will continue to play it no matter what.

On thing that I despise is the face that spell animations do not match enemy cast bar times.

Example... Any mob with an AOE, you see the red circle on the ground and you run out, BUT, if you do not make it out before the cast bar goes off, you'll get hit (which is how it should be)... BUT... that spell doesn't land until a few second after the cast bar has finished. Whatever you see on the cast bar, add another second or two before that spell actually does damage.

Cast bar ends, you're still inside, but you run 20-30 yards away before the spell lands and BOOM, you still get hit by it. It's so annoying.

They need to make it so the spell lands at the exact moment the cast bar is done. Why is the move hitting me when it's clear to me and everyone else around me that I'm 30 yards away from the AOE area?
    I pretty much run out of the red, once it goes away go back in. He drops whatever spell, it doesn't matter if the red misses you the spell wont even if your standing dead center in it.

Deleted
    This is the reason why I got stuck on Titan for about a week, I really had to knuckle down with the game, and you really have to move out of stuff the instant it comes up, it's good in a way as it is a challenge, something I have not seen in other games/MMOs for a long time.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you're standing in it when the cast ends, you're going to die, otherwise remove red circles of doom and just make players look at the cast animation and make their own judgement. It's fine the way it is, move as soon as it's there, and it won't be a problem, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    If you're standing in it when the cast ends, you're going to die, otherwise remove red circles of doom and just make players look at the cast animation and make their own judgement. It's fine the way it is, move as soon as it's there, and it won't be a problem, ever.
    No, I don't think I'd like that. Seeing spell effects isn't too bad if here's not alot around you and the spell isn't blending into the environment too much, but in fights where you have a few mobs stacked up around you (Add phases, for example) seeing the spell effects can be really frustrating and not that easy to notice, espically if the spell in question is small.

AN example for me would be the fire arrow effect during phase 1 of Galakras in Siege of Orgrimmar (I can see the fire most of the times, but if i'm right in the middle of a pack of adds, fire under my feet tend to be hidden under the big bulk orcs i['m trying to kill that are trying to kill me )
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    No, I don't think I'd like that. Seeing spell effects isn't too bad if here's not alot around you and the spell isn't blending into the environment too much, but in fights where you have a few mobs stacked up around you (Add phases, for example) seeing the spell effects can be really frustrating and not that easy to notice, espically if the spell in question is small.

AN example for me would be the fire arrow effect during phase 1 of Galakras in Siege of Orgrimmar (I can see the fire most of the times, but if i'm right in the middle of a pack of adds, fire under my feet tend to be hidden under the big bulk orcs i['m trying to kill that are trying to kill me )
    Wrong Game sir. This is the FFXIV Forum.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Red on ground = move, simple as that, not sure why there are so many people who don't get it. I do understand some frustration though as server lag can cause you to look like you're out of the circle on you're screen but the server registers you as still in the zone. That needs to be addressed.