Thread: Why 3.5 Embers?

Why 3.5 Embers?

Hey,

I play Destro and I've recently wondered the question about. Why do guides and sources on how to play Destro say "stack to 3.5 Embers then pop your cds, then chaos bolt"? Why not stack to 4 and do so?

Is it so your Immolate etc. doesn't tip you over the edge of 4 when you're casting CB?

Pretty much yeah, you could waste potential ember bits that your immolate etc is generating while you're taking the time to cast. In general its never a good idea to let yourself ember cap unless you're banking for something overly specific.

Deleted
    Yes it is to prevent you from losing emberbits.

You have to take into account the Incinerate you just cast can crit when it reaches its target, plus the active Immolate(s). If you cast another Incinerate, which can crit too, you could reach 4.0 before finishing your CB cast.
    Now 3.5 might be a bit low, when RoF was giving us plenty of embers it was possible to get to 4 in a second but these times are over, at least in single target.

In a single target situation you could start casting your CB at 3.8 I guess, but this isn't the only factor to take into account anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoneus View Post
    Hey,

I play Destro and I've recently wondered the question about. Why do guides and sources on how to play Destro say "stack to 3.5 Embers then pop your cds, then chaos bolt"? Why not stack to 4 and do so?

Is it so your Immolate etc. doesn't tip you over the edge of 4 when you're casting CB?
    Equivalent to energy capping and energy pooling as a rogue.

You typically generate x amount of embers throughout the fight no matter what. If you hit the cap, you waste resources. If you stay at the floor, you lose potential bursts of dps during cooldowns and procs. You want to stay in the middle so you have resources when you need them.

Lovely, as I expected. Thanks a lot guys

Your question was answered, but since it involves the same class, I wanted to mention this as well.

Affliction soul shards share the same concept. Corruption has a chance to grant you an extra shard so if possible, you don't want to sit on 4 shards. Cast haunt, SB: Soul swap, SB: Curse of Elements, SB: Seed, or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    ember capping is a dps loss. so if you need to move you have room for a spell or two before you would cap out.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoneus View Post
    Hey,

I typically try and hit 3.8 just before DS comes up, but there's other stuff to worry about as well (procs/DS are frankly more important). Of course everyone who plays destro has ember capped at one time or another. Just try not to let it happen.
    "I don't always play my warlock, but when I do, I prefer destruction."
    - The Most Interesting Player in the World . . . of Warcraft

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jason1975 View Post
    I typically try and hit 3.8 just before DS comes up, but there's other stuff to worry about as well (procs/DS are frankly more important). Of course everyone who plays destro has ember capped at one time or another. Just try not to let it happen.
    dont think I've embercapped on singletarget/cleave after getting the 4set (wich is like, super duper amazing)

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrypowdah View Post
    dont think I've embercapped on singletarget/cleave after getting the 4set (wich is like, super duper amazing)
    Everyone ember caps from time to time. You may not realize it when it happens, but you've done it.

:-P
    "I don't always play my warlock, but when I do, I prefer destruction."
    - The Most Interesting Player in the World . . . of Warcraft

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I ember cap on large AoE pulls. *cry*

I seem to still ember cap out when I start casting a CB at 3.5 - to the point where I just cast CB at the first available opportunity when I am over 3, unless I have haste procs/3x backdraft :/