Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Physical Education Class in Schools

I'm in high school and I'm doing a survey for our newspaper (but I'm not allowed to make polls on MMO-Champion yet) and I was wondering if:

You had gym class in high school, did that in particular PEAK your interest in physical activity? Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    God no, all the jocks always wanted to play football or basketball, so the non sportive guys like me would do the required exercises and then chat/play magic the gathering

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mriv3193 View Post
    I'm in high school and I'm doing a survey for our newspaper (but I'm not allowed to make polls on MMO-Champion yet) and I was wondering if:

You had gym class in high school, did that in particular PEAK your interest in physical activity? Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Nope quite the opposite. Freshman year there was a super hot chick in my class so i sat down with her => i failed.
    This year (senior year) there is another person im chilling with => i am barley passing.
    My conclusion? the female population is a distraction damn it!

10+ Year Old Account
    No not really. It was more like an extended recess..
    I like juice

Nah, not really. I enjoyed gym sometimes. Dodgeball, Kickball, Football, Baseball, were all fun. But they did a lot of stupid things too, I was always garbage at basketball, then we did some running and stuff. Was dumb most of the time. I enjoyed some of the sports, but I spent a lot of time sitting around not really doing anything since the vast majority of time was spent playing stupid games.

If we had just played dodgeball every single day I'd have loved that class forever. Was so much fun. As for interest in physical activity, no, I enjoyed the class about half the time, but it never made me want to go a gym and work out, or eat healthy food, or anything like that.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hated gym and I was completely into sports. I wasn't exactly in shape ever (understatement), but I was solid at basketball and other sports (especially hockey the rare occasion we got to play floor hockey). Gym didn't have any effect on my interest in playing sports. Gym was just a crappy forced "elective" you had to take for no reason at all in the grand scheme of things. Just like most of high school really. (Off topic, but I'm a firm believer that you could take all of high school and condense it into a single year, year and a half if you got rid of the stupid crap they jam into your life. Education could be so advanced over the four years if they didn't cater to the lowest common denominator and weren't forced to pad the curriculum with useless nonsense)

10+ Year Old Account
    I had gym class in high school, yes. For the most part, I hated it. The only time I remotely enjoyed it was during physical activities that we did on our own or activities where we could pair up with people of the opposite sex (95% of my friends throughout my school years were female), e.g. not team sports.

To this day, I dread locker rooms and avoid them at all costs because of my horrible experiences in them during middle & high school. If anything, gym class in high school (well, pretty much any grade) made me hate sports and physical activity more than I already did.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hated it in elementary school and figured I'd do the required grade 9 gym then never again. Ended up liking it a lot more in high school and took it until grade 12 when I couldn't fit it into my course load. Didn't really increase my interest in physical activity though as I still avoided anything other then biking outside of gym class.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hated it in elementary school because I was never good at it, and instead of encouraging me, the teacher would get mad.

I was okay with it in middle school because it was mostly running, which isn't too bad, but all the softball shit was awful.

I only had to take one year of it in high school, so I coasted quietly through it, ending that year with a B for effort and not performance (because, again, I suck.) But at least my teacher was kind enough to realize that and didn't curtail my grade too badly for not playing well. The last 3 years of high school I did not choose PE as an elective, and as an adult the most physical activity I choose to do is take long walks.

So, no, not only did it not increase my interest, but it actively quashed it because I wasn't exactly encouraged to get better (and honestly I didn't WANT all that much to get better; I am not a sporty person.)
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

Deleted
    In the UK we had PE that was essentially a joke. We played basketball, football if the weather was good and every 6 weeks we'd do track and field events trying to beat our previous times. I learned nothing about muscles or nutrition there. I enjoyed it tho because I love sport.

Then we had Games : 2 hours of rugby a week. Again you didn't learn anything about muscles or nutrition, but I loved it. Everyone played in training, so we'd smash the nerdy and fat kids around for an hour. It was brutal but alot of fun.

PE didn't peak my interest. But I wanted to be more competetive at Rugby so that got me into fitness (down the gym 5 days a week) and made me look at my nutrition.

I didn't mind it dependent on the sport involved, for example I loved badminton (which I played out of school anyway), football (soccer) & softball, but loathed athletics, touch rugby & basketball as they were sports which I had no natural aptitude in nor any desire to participate in. It certainly didn't attract any additional interest in physical activity for me, I did play club badminton outside of school anyway but never took up any sports as a result of PE lessons in school and it certainly didn't have any real bearing on my decision later in life to start going to the gym. (that was 100% based on my decision to live a healthier lifestyle to avoid certain weight related issues)

What I would say is that I didn't naturally "hate" PE as much as I probably should, I was an out of shape, slow kid who wasn't the typical sporty type, so by all rights I should have hated it, but I never skipped it unless I had issues stopping me from doing PE. Hell the only time I genuinely thought "this is fuckin pointless" was when someone in the PE faculty decided since I was "out of class" for a drum lesson during sport selection that it would be cool to put me down for a half-term block of trampoline! That coincided with a nasty ingrown toenail which meant I couldn't do it anyways, so I was essentially standing around like a lemon holding the trampoline while everyone else was on it - not going to lie as a 16 year old I didn't "dislike" that (sporty girls, trampoline, do the math!) but it was pointless as I'd have been better suited perhaps in less "impacting" sports.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

i hated PE in high school but mainly cause of how not focused it was - im the type who doesnt enjoy group sports but i found great enjoyment in working out in gym and running long distances - so football/basketball etc was all mecesary evil - then during university i started to work out regulary and run and im doin this till today and PE had no effect on me being interested in that. if i had a choice to do those during PE and drop all group sports then i would be definetly much more interested in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Damsbo View Post
    Yeah, pretty much this. While I did play tennis for a few years (and with record-breaking terribleness) it had nothing to do with incentive from gym class, just something a friend and I decided to try sophomore year since our school's team was so awful and laid back there weren't even tryouts. To me, though, gym was pretty much a free A for the three years I had to take it in high school. You show up, pick from one of the two or three options for that given period (I forget what it was but it was roughly three weeks) and most of the time there was a pretty laid-back option that required little physical activity, such as bowling with fake plastic bowling bowls, and archery.

I took the "individual sports" elective for my PE requirement in high school. We did bowling, badminton, frisbee golf, and regular golf. I actually rather enjoyed the class overall, as I'm not that great at coordinating with other people for team sports.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

where I went to HS I we had half a year of P.E. the first 2 years. which was your general physical education, running different sports, etc. We also had additional P.E. type electives you could take, I believe as many times as you wanted, that were half a year each advanced team sports being one of the ones I can remember. this went over different team sports, strategies, also covered the rules to the sports.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    No, I had been an athlete for ages by the time High School came about. I started sports at 4-5 with Soccer during springs and falls, Baseball in the summer, Football in the fall and wrestling/basketball in the Winter, and track in the spring. I also was a FIFA certified referee and coached my younger brothers soccer team. When I was a kid we didn't have cable let alone a gaming system. My first system was a Super Nintendo and I was 15 we were outside all the time no matter the time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Damsbo View Post
    Oh, so much this. PE was easy. Fun. And like Damsbo said, extended recess.

I was an athletic kid but no, I absolutely hated gym class. It was just a breeding ground for gossip and bullshit. After school, my friends and I would actually go to a gym for fun(off campus).

10+ Year Old Account
    dodgeball and lacrosse were fun.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I loved it since it was the only time during middle-school I could dominate all the bullies :P Or rather the only class I wasnt bullied in and almost always picked first when selecting teams. Especially loved basketball since I was 2 heads taller than 90% of the kids in my class :P
    Now that I think about it it's kinda weird that the biggest and the most athletic kid in class was the one that got bullied the most, lol.

Bullying stopped in high-school for some reason (class was the same though) and I still liked PE, though.

However I do not think PE played a major role in me being interested in sports.... I was doing all kinds of sports ever since I was a wee little kid anyways.