Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

tax evasion in europe - the redistribution of wealth

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93B0KC20130412

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_of_Europe

it´s disgusting that the biggest companies in the world pretty much pay nothing in taxes

http://www.oecd.org/ctp/oecd-calls-o...-avoidance.htm

isn´t globalisation awesome, well at least for corporations to make huge profits

it´s all about where the subsidiary companies are, this has to stop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnwSiNGXT6s <- german documentary
    Last edited by Mayhem; 2013-10-01 at 03:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reason why riches avoiding taxes is disgusting is because there are poor people paying them. Remove taxes from everyone and it won't be disgusting anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    The reason why riches avoiding taxes is disgusting is because there are poor people paying them. Remove taxes from everyone and it won't be disgusting anymore.
    Better yet, force everyone to pay according to their abillity.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the video. It gave a lot insight. As far as I understood it's three key factors which will exacerbate the issue in the future: lack of transparency, patchwork of tax systems in the EU especially in regards of corporate taxes and weak enforcements due to national limitations (laws, borders, resources and personnel).
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    Flat tax rate and be done with it.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    No. Taxes are needed. Just do it good as they do it in the nordic countries (for one).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    No. Taxes are needed. Just do it good as they do it in the nordic countries (for one).
    You mean the tax systems that forced businessmen out of the country?

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Agreed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Agreed!!!!
    Yeah, just put a 50% tax rate on everything so the rich wont get treated so bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pucko97 View Post
    Yeah, just put a 50% tax rate on everything so the rich wont get treated so bad.
    No thanks. I've paid 50% tax before and it isn't fun.

No thanks. I've paid 50% tax before and it isn't fun.
    I'm more than happy to pay 50% of my income as long as its used well and help people that needs it and i still get to have all the fun I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by pucko97 View Post
    Nahhh. Doesn't sound like a great idea. I'm not in favor of "helping out the rich," I'm in favor of fair taxes. Having more shouldn't mean you should give a larger percent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    Better yet, force everyone to pay according to their abillity.
    Straight from the mouth of Karl Marx.

Taxing peoples labor is evil. Period.

Taxing investments and business profits is not.

Deleted
    I agree. A flat tax would/should be the way to go.

You mean the tax systems that forced businessmen out of the country?
    This is a ridiculous statement. Theres no moment in history where businessmen have actually left a country or given up on it´s opportunies unless theres zero profit to be made. Theres no "all or nothing" in capitalism.

The only ones that are actually "fleeing" are corporations. Funnily enough, many of them have huge investments and shares by the goverment. (Talking about Finland)
    Last edited by Arlon; 2013-10-01 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ectothrix View Post

Taxing peoples labor is evil. Period.

Taxing investments and business profits is not.
    How are business profits and investments not a form of labor? And why isnt it evil to tax those...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    Maybe it is and maybe it isnt - with a high income disparity its definitely not a good idea.

- - - Updated - - -

This isnt America. Its not viewed as bad here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because that still means something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Nahhh. Doesn't sound like a great idea. I'm not in favor of "helping out the rich," I'm in favor of fair taxes. Having more shouldn't mean you should give a larger percent.
    Nor does it mean that everyone should pay the same ratio. 25% taxes of someones income when they make 40,000 is a lot bigger of a deal to them than someone paying 10 million in taxes on 40 million in income. That is why a progressive tax scheme is the only fair way to properly tax individuals in a fair society.

Quote Originally Posted by Hothgor View Post
    Nor does it mean that everyone should pay the same ratio. 25% taxes of someones income when they make 40,000 is a lot bigger of a deal to them than someone paying 10 million in taxes on 40 million in income. That is why a progressive tax scheme is the only fair way to properly tax individuals in a fair society.
    When you compare 10 million to 10 thousand, sure it seems much different. But 25% is 25%. I don't see how you can argue its fair to have different rates for different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    A flat tax is a HORRIBLE idea. For starters, we would need to have at least a 23% 'flat' sales tax on all purchases to even approach a balanced budget (and probably higher than that because that figure was from back in 2001 when they wanted to modify the tax code then. Having such a high base taxation rate would absolutely DESTROY the lower and middle income classes. Remember that pesky '47%'? The ones that pay 'nothing' in federal taxes? Yeah, you just increased their taxation rate from 0% to 23%. They have it bad now, but most would be on the streets if they had to give a quarter of their already meager income back.

And then there are the working poor...the ones working 2 or 3 jobs at minimum wage and barely hanging on? What will they do, get a 4th full time job just to cover their new taxes? The problem with a flat tax is that it disproportionately affects the lower income brackets. Taking 10,000 in taxes from someone who only earns 40,000 is a HUGE deal while taking 10 million in taxes from someone who earns 40 million isn't. People have to eat food to survive. Have a roof over their heads. Buy clothing. Get school supplies. Pay for gasoline or public transit, etc etc. Dining on caviar is not a requirement for basic survival.

Oh whats that, you say? We can just exempt those people? Then how does that differ from the current taxation scheme? The same 47% wouldn't pay this 'flat' tax? The rich don't have to spend their money then either. In fact, the super rich often buy frivolous things, like a 10th house, a yatch, a plane, or buy out a set of artwork to go on display for 'charity' to avoid paying taxes. Set it up so they only pay taxes on things they buy, and they won't do those things either. Congrats, you just crashed the economy again while simultaneously raping the lower classes.