Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Endless Proving Grounds setup

Entering Proving Grounds will reduce your ilvl to an equivalent of 476 I believe. Many trinkets have their uses nullified or marginalized. Our stat scaling can't be the same as it is for raiding Siege Of Orgrimmar.

I'm asking what you found to be the best trinket setup. And what reforge you went with for your spec. The strats are basically the same but its the downscaling that is really getting me.

15+ Year Old Account
    You get downscaled to ilvl 463. Trinkets with RPPM mechanics are usually a bad idea.
    If you're an alchemist the best combo is probably Relic of Xuen and the upgraded Alchemist Stone because they're both really overbudget.

I'm not an alchemist. But I guess I should probably swap out my meta gem from a helmet as well. The cloak is good still though?

15+ Year Old Account
    The cloak won't proc its effect but it is still a solid choice.

you shouldn't have many issues using whatever trinkets you have on. I went in with shadopan and juju on patch day and got to 38 on my 1st attempt without a problem. I was just going for the title and if that's what you're doing then no need to go for a min/max style. i did it as sv with crit>haste>mastery.

I really like Assurance of Consequences in Proving Grounds, the CD reduction on stamp/rf/ba works out nicely.
    Most OP trinket is probably Relic of Xuen, but I went with Bottle of Infinite Stars so I could easily reforge to hit cap after switching helm for the meta gem. Bottle and Xuen are both very strong per ilvl.

I stayed with crit>haste>mastery.
    Survival seems the best by far.

I recorded myself doing waves 49-59 if you're interested. I think I can easily hit wave 68 if I play a bit better, but seems like the DPS checks beyond that are pretty rough.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jj7a_oKwK4

memorizing the waves is the biggest thing.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was actually thinking about this same subject last night. I think best gear is trinkets with use effects (and relic of xuen), a head with non-legendary meta, and in general pieces with a lot of sockets.

So far I prepared these for my next visit:

Conduit-Breaker Chain Leggings (3 red sockets with 180 bonus)
    Woundripper Medallion (passive agi, use: crit, vendor bought for justice points)
    Hawkmaster's Talon (passive agi, use: haste, vendo
    r bought for justice points)
    Pretty much random head I had in my bank, with a agi meta gem

Quote Originally Posted by mediic View Post
    I really like Assurance of Consequences in Proving Grounds, the CD reduction on stamp/rf/ba works out nicely.
    I found it kinda bad, with the huge downscale. 5 minute cooldowns will always be up for wave x5 and x0 without it. I'd much rather have trinkets that give me strong passive dmg, as well as controlled burst.

engineering helm is bis.
    terracota archer neck is bis
    shouders can be t15 or any other shouder with 2 gem sockets and a good bonus with haste crit or crit mastery on it
    back piece would be jikhun
    chest piece would be t16
    wrist is the random from tortos, crit one or haste one would do the trick.
    hands are t16 or phase fingers from primordius.
    belt can be crafted one 553 v, can also be sha of fear, i think there is another belt with 2 sockets and good bonus with crit haste, belive is durumu one.
    legs are leishen
    boots are either raden or tortos. raden ones give you 1 extra gem.
    rings are dark animus ring, raden ring. any other ring with an extra socket would work as well from SoO.
    bis trinkets still the same, relic and bottle due to agi-agi, and bottle is a retarded trinket with up to 40% uptime.
    weapon durumu one is the best one stat wise but any other weapon with crit and a socket would work tbh.

try to reforge the haste into exp and hit, 300 food, 1000 agi flask. not sure about being able to pot.

this is my setup atm, i havent tried yet because still working on SoO and really dont have much time to do anything else and missing some pieces.

all loot can be LFR, normal or heroic. wont matter tbh. the Higher ilvl the better tho because you can reach your caps easier and since hit and expertise remain the same you wont lose much.

Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    re:AoC
    I found it kinda bad, with the huge downscale. 5 minute cooldowns will always be up for wave x5 and x0 without it. I'd much rather have trinkets that give me strong passive dmg, as well as controlled burst.
    I liked having rapid fire on wave x8 and back up for the burn on wave x0, which seem to be the tightest DPS checks and you can't do that w/o AoC. Also the downscale works out to 100% BA uptime which can be nice. Probably better off with Relic + Bottle the more I think of it.

edit:
    engineering helm is bis.
    I remember thinking the engi goggles were actually underbudget. I just did a quick comparison.

Deadly Retinal Armor 476 (engi goggles)
    1035 agility
    1200 secondary stats
    meta socket

Dreadeye Gaze 476 (LFR will of the emperor)
    1035 agility
    1240 secondary stats
    meta socket

Just use any hat with good stats.
    Last edited by mediic; 2013-10-02 at 12:51 PM.

I liked having rapid fire on wave x8 and back up for the burn on wave x0, which seem to be the tightest DPS checks and you can't do that w/o AoC. Also the downscale works out to 100% BA uptime which can be nice. Probably better off with Relic + Bottle the more I think of it.

edit:

I remember thinking the engi goggles were actually underbudget. I just did a quick comparison.

1035 agility
    1200 secondary stats
    meta socket

1035 agility
    1240 secondary stats
    meta socket

you are missign the huge deal wich are 180 agi socket bonus wich only a few give you this much. you can also change the stats on the helm and the gems wont downscale once you are inside.

after Reading this i finish up some of my gear and took it for a spin there without knowing much i got to wave 28 on like 2nd try.

here is my setup, i forgot to use blink strikes and AMoC seem pointless there
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rrito/advanced
    Last edited by Perrito; 2013-10-02 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Perrito View Post
    you are missign the huge deal wich are 180 agi socket bonus wich only a few give you this much. you can also change the stats on the helm and the gems wont downscale once you are inside.
    The helm I compared also had a +180 agi bonus included, pretty much every PVE helm this expansion has a +180 agi bonus with 2 exceptions. You're right that the secondary stats from cogwheels won't downscale when inside, I hadn't considered that. That might put it slightly over the top.
    Nice setup, that's a lot o' gems. Says you're missing glove tinker btw.
    As for talents, it's minor, but I like to run intimidation since it's nice to have another off GCD interrupt/stun in some cases.

The helm I compared also had a +180 agi bonus included, pretty much every PVE helm this expansion has a +180 agi bonus with 2 exceptions. You're right that the secondary stats from cogwheels won't downscale when inside, I hadn't considered that. That might put it slightly over the top.
    Nice setup, that's a lot o' gems. Says you're missing glove tinker btw.
    As for talents, it's minor, but I like to run intimidation since it's nice to have another off GCD interrupt/stun in some cases.
    well the only mob i had to stun was the monkey, there was a wave with 2 monkeys and they both died before my stun run out.

AMoC is really bad for it, think blink strikes is way better. even for SV, mobs dont have that many HP to survive a single AMoC. im using fervor atm but i think next time i go in i will switch to TOTH.

15+ Year Old Account
    To be fair the big Sha mobs are 30 second burst windows so if you're having issues with that.

I cannot seem to complete this no matter what I try. I went SV, got into wave 13 and then couldnt do it.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Finally completed it, took maybe ~8 tries to get past 30. I found round 1-23 to be basic as long as I didn't do a bigger mistake. 24 could be close depending on how the shields ended up facing, though towards the end I found a new tactic that made it safer. 25 is easy burst wave. 26 easy. 27 can be close, but 28-29 is real nasty. 30 should be fairly easy assuming you have most of your cooldowns up, as well as the berserker buff.

I honestly don't understand how some players make it to wave 50+. The difference between 11-20 and 21-30 is so huge, I can't imagine what 51-60 is like. Kinda makes me wonder if those kind of waves are reached with gear that scales weirdly. I've seen some stuff with the stats that just didn't seem quite right.

edit:

1035 agility
    1200 secondary stats
    meta socket

1035 agility
    1240 secondary stats
    meta socket

The Dreadeye Gaze will be scaled down, the Engineering helm won't. Engineering helm is BiS for all classes in Challenge Mode/Proving Grounds.

I go intim, fervor, blink strikes, glaive.

Binding is better for monkeys, but it costs a GCD (unless you pre-cast), also intim can be useful to interrupting heal and stunning the defenders.
    I like fervor for the on demand burst, but TotH could be just as good.
    AMoC would be nice on waves x5 and x0 but those aren't too difficult, I find wave x4, x8 and x9 the most difficult. Blink Strikes is better.
    Barrage doesn't scale as well as Glaive Toss as low gear levels, and Glaive is nice on every wave if you position right, whereas Barrage is only good for a couple of non-important waves.

I'm going to try to get an optimal gear set this weekend, with engi goggles, xuen, bottle and as many sockets as I can find, reforge and see if I can hit wave 70.

Deleted
    Can anyone tell me why RPPM trinkets it's bad for this after 5.4? I reached wave 60 with the rentaki soul charm trinket and it seems to have huge uptime in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Revrev View Post
    Can anyone tell me why RPPM trinkets it's bad for this after 5.4? I reached wave 60 with the rentaki soul charm trinket and it seems to have huge uptime in this.
    Because stupid people read something somewhere and then preach it in order to make other people think they are smarter. RPPM trinkets (aside from the Lei Shen ones) have always been good in 463 scaled instances and they are even better now that they proc more.

I honestly can't say which trinkets are the absolute best but Simcraft has an option to enable Challenge Mode scaling, the only issue with that being that CMs/PG are never completely Single target or completely AoE so it's hard to actually Simulate what the best overall trinkets will be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    Because stupid people read something somewhere and then preach it in order to make other people think they are smarter. RPPM trinkets (aside from the Lei Shen ones) have always been good in 463 scaled instances and they are even better now that they proc more.
    Because RPPM trinkets are not even 1% reliable. Non-RPPM proc fairly quickly after the ICD up allowing you plan usage of abilities to make them have a greater impact overall. This is amplified even more if you're using trinkets that you personally activate. Having a consistent plan is key for PGs, dumb luck isn't. But go ahead call it "stupid".

...lol