• 10-15

114 14.75%
  • 15-20

67 8.67%
  • 20-25

32 4.14%
  • 25+

176 22.77%
  • Blizzard should remove 3rd party addons.

39 5.05%
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally have 20-ish, but most of them are extremely lightweight -- a couple single-condition audio signal addons, a simple absolute/% health display addon, a self customized "autofixes your buttons when you change talents" addon.

10+ Year Old Account
    DBM
    WeakAuras
    Bartender
    Skada
    Atlasloot Enhanced
    SilverDragon
    Auctioneer
    Postal
    MogIt
    Titan Panel
    Gatherer

That makes 11... oops voted for 5-10.

I would be content with 1 (VuhDo), but I tend to wind up with around 10 with luxury add-ons (SellJunk, Postal, AuctionLite, Altoholics, SilverDragon, Bartender, etc).
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

15+ Year Old Account
    The only raiding addons I use are Omni CC and DBM. The rest are purely cosmetic or to make some sort of thing easier (like Postal to have a "take all" feature on my mail or to save/suggest names when mass mailing stuff). I do fine in raids. Yes I do agree that people rely too much on their addons for everything. I have a friend who was looking at my gear when I was trying to get haste capped and he was asking if I use Reforger or some reforging addon. I told him no & he was all "but how do you know how to reforge your gear". Its simple, you learn your class and you look at your gear and see where things should be changed up to best suit your needs. He kept telling me "oh get earthen vitality" or whatever that movement speed enchant is and I told him that it was actually going to make me lose haste if I did such a thing. His rebuttal was "that's what my mod says to do".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    I seriously don't know what you are talking about. Unless you are a healer the default UI does pretty much everything except play the game for you... if you need an addon to tell you when x cd is done and what skills to use you're just a baddie... even DBM became less mandatory with the implementation of dungeon journal...
    The default UI hardly "plays the game for you". If you're a dot class, forget it. You try keeping dots up on multiple targets using the default ui. And it isn't about "needing an addon to tell you when x cd is done". If you're raiding heroic content, you're optimizing your play. And you aren't optimizing your play if you don't know "when x cd is done". I think you're more interested in bashing than thinking.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    I do have Addons though to automate boring things, like Milling/Prospecting
    i beleive thats called botting =p
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    sometimes when im alone i like to cover myself in vaseline and pretend im a slug
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I like to glue my thumbs to my nipples and pretend I'm a T-Rex.

I use only one add on, Mogit. Purely to find gear of certain colors or styles for the purposes of transmog.

Otherwise, I don't use any mods at all. Don't need them.
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

I would hate to play the game without addons, default UI is just so inefficient. Character and Target frames top left, buffs top right in a cluster of disorganization and action bars in a scattered mess? No thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    you by no means need to have addons.

I USE ZERO ZIP NADDA

and i killed kanrethad as a clicker *in the second week he was available**i had 483ish item lvl at the time*

i got through half of tot before my guild forced me to get DBM for duromue the giant eye ball *and it wasn't because i need it it was becuase leader needed me to have it incase i got the life drain. other wise i try to keep it off.

my screen is open and clear and i like the default UI

My warlocks name is Káelthas on emerald dream and between both factions i am the 3rd best demo warlock going by wow heroes *25th between all specs*
    and my guild currently is on dark shaman in normal mode Siege

but then locks been getting nerfed a lot so not many of us left anyways as we get changed every month
    And you probably cheesed it with a pot. And wow heroes? Wow heroes tells you nothing about performance. It's based off of your gear and gems/enchants. Where are you getting that you're the 3rd best demo lock?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have 49 addons, though I disable quite a few of them before raids.

Looking through my list of addons, DBM is probably the only one that would hurt my DPS if I got rid of it, since it's easier to pay attention to the timers yourself than rely on someone else to call out for the entire raid, especially when in some fights, different people are being effected by different mechanics. Oh, and NeedToKnow, since that makes it easier to track my trinkets than looking for them among the default buff bars.

The rest of my raid addons may not be strictly necessary, but the convenience and customization to the UI is too good to overlook. On the default UI, too many stuff have a set size and location, and the ability to move them around on your screen or shrink them to make more room is great.

I have around 20 now, used to be more when i played hardcore and raid lead a lot. Most of them are purely cosmetic like Mappy, I like having a square map not a round one!
    Also Spammenot, no level 1 whispers for me or annoying people in trade
    Warriors in PvP are like small hyperactive children in a candy shop made of bouncy castle.

I remember when addons were required for raiding because you needed them to have raid frames...

Current stock UI is much better, but it's still crappy compared to adjustments you can use. As the addons are open, one COULD combine them all into one addon for their own use if they felt like wasting that much time...

I used the default UI and no bossmods / threat meter through all of Vanilla and most of BC until Sunwell. It was during Sunwell I started using extra mods. Now I'm mod crazy. I know I use more than 35. Prat, Xperl, Quartz, Omni CC, Ntk , Bartender4, GTFO, DBM, Silverdragon, Sexymap, Altaholic, Bagnon, Grid, Gathermate, Collectinator, Pet Tracker, Postal and Totem Timers (for my Shaman) and more.

Pretty much I could play without any of them, but Bartender I'd miss the most. Organising keybinding is so simple. Simply mouseover the button and bind away.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

More than I thought. I'm up to 29 addons in my Addons folder. Most are class specific though. I have 1 of each class so individual class addons add up. I'd say I use 10 or so for all characters, the rest are class specific.

The default UI is one of the absolute worst UI's in the history of all games ever. There are so many small, tiny addons that you don't even notice, that integrate right into the game, that if blizzard took probably literally 5 minutes of coding time, there wouldn't need to be an addon.

Things like:
    Postal
    SellJunk
    iSold
    GTFO

and how about an addon like InspectFix, because inspecting people has literally not worked the way it should for 4 years now?

The default Auction House UI is also absolutely horrific, and virtually unusable, which is why almost everyone who uses the AH for any amount of time gets an AH addon.

And that's just functionality, it doesn't even begin to touch the horrible aesthetics of it. This is often why ElvUI is so popular - it's laid out much more streamlined, much more smoothly, with much better aesthetics.

There are so many things wrong with the default UI, I could seriously write a novel about it.

The absolute worst thing though, and blues recently responded to this, is that it's become almost a virtual necessity to have OQueue. Now, OQueue is great at what it does, but blizzard has really dropped the ball by not having an OQueue type match-making system already implemented in the default.

I currently run anywhere from 160 to 210 addons at a time. Many of them are class specific, most of them are very small, and integrate into the default UI (like OmniCC, for example).

What's particularly galling about OmniCC, is that when you play Warcraft 3 - the cooldown of the heroes' abilities is shown as a number on the icon! Why they omitted this from the default UI is completely baffling. Plus, the Starcraft and really all of their RTS UI's have been resoundingly awesome.

Addons are a big reason why WoW is so damn popular. Without them, people would have bailed a long time ago. When you watch any raid-kill video, you can see the really neat and awesome things people do with their UI's. Note that there is virtually never anyone with a kill video that has any semblance of the default UI.

Bartender, DBM and Recount are the only addons I use, really all I need too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hate how people seem to jump on the "addons and third-party tools don't make the game easier" bandwagon. They don't seems to understand what difficulty is, and project their feelings against handicaps placed on them by developers as bad design or gimmicks. When developers gives players freedom to remove or avoid some of them, players insist the game is too easy/boring. When the freedom is questioned by developers, the players complain the game is too hard/boring. There's also peer pressure to use them due to poor community behavior.

The only mods that were ever deemed necessary were TPS, DPS, and HPS meters. People can bypass this by looking at guides and using cookie-cutter setups to replicate performance, but you're still using third-party tools to achieve this.

TPS isn't an issue anymore since Blizz added a better threat meter. You can still use addons or third-party tools to gauge your personal efficiency, but ultimately unnecessary.

DPS is still an issue because Blizz has not added one. There is no efficient way to tell your DPS without an addon or third-party tools.

HPS was never an issue, but like DPS without and addon or third-party tool you can only guess how well you're doing.

Any other addon is unnecessary, and is most likely a crutch.

All third-party tools are crutches.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Deleted
    i use default UI with scripts, no need for addons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use it mainly because I like customization, I could use the default UI no sweat, but I just prefer my own custom layout.

More options for players is pretty much always a plus for ANY gaming experience.

I would claim the Blizzard interface lacks the refinement that I want. I don't rely much on DBM although sometimes it can provide a good reminder for me to call out to my friends who didn't quite get what the memo was in a pinch, and it's nice to coordinate in a way that all people in the raid, sharp and dull can react in tandem with.

Recount is there only to tell me if i've done something so stupidly wrong in my playstyle that I'm falling behind...
    We've all done it...forgotten food buffs, changed a talent, moved something without remembering. Recount just lets me know what to expect from myself and my team.

So really I'd say I only use about 3-6 addons at any one time and they're mostly for raid coordination or visual enhancement.
    Last edited by Aqua; 2013-10-05 at 08:17 AM.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Postal and sell junk should be game defaults by now. Most current MMO's will have that of the bat. Bagnon helps loads too, being able to see bank items any time.

I don't consider myself an addon guy by any means, but there's too many convenience and statistics mods that I use ever so often. I still have outfitter, recount, deadly boss mods and omen, even if I don't really use them. I use auctioneer and profession mods fr sake of ease. I use Bartender for UI, and needtoknow for rotation/buff tracking.

Then there's a whole bunch of pet/mount addons just for the hell of it.