View Poll Results: How many addons do you use

Voters
773. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-5

    161 20.83%
  • 5-10

    184 23.80%
  • 10-15

    114 14.75%
  • 15-20

    67 8.67%
  • 20-25

    32 4.14%
  • 25+

    176 22.77%
  • Blizzard should remove 3rd party addons.

    39 5.05%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
4
12
13
14
15
16
LastLast
  1. #261
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgePayne View Post
    But some people I am aware of are pushing the 50+ addons which I find crazy because at what point do your stop being a good player and become just a tool to press a button when the addon says so.
    According to Curse am I using 120 addons, but many are just split in multiple parts, so I guess, I'm at ~ 70 addons.

    So tell me, why I'm a bad player, because I have

    addons, that improve my tradeskill window, so it's easier to find a recipe and see, where I have the mats for the item (I have 11 chars on one account, that I'm currently leveling) or what recipes I'm missing

    addons, like altoholic that help me keep an overview over my alts and lets me search their professions, so I don't always have to log them , if I want to know what item they use or if they can craft an item

    ArkInventory, that lets me customize my bags and prevents me from searching and sorting my bags all the time (and let's me search for items on all my chars)

    addons like Titan Panel that shows me on my UI how much gold I have, bag space, gives easy access to my factions, my current fps and connection, fast access to my professions ...

    AH addons, that make it easier to search the AH and post auctions (they are actually doing the opposite from what you say - I have to press way less buttons to post and cancel my auctions ...)

    Bartender - I prefer smaller bars, want some that only show up when I hover over them and the keybinding is easier - same reason why I use geist. And I wanted to get rid of the default stuff, like the menu, that I don't need because I have keybindings.

    Unit Frame addons - I just dislike the default look - it's ugly and I want to have it in the center of my screen, same reason why I use Grid - I don't like the look and position of the default UI, but where does it tell me, what to do? Just because I can decide where my HOTs are shown?

    SexyMap - the normal Map looks just boring and I don't like the position of it.

    BuffAddon - Again, I want the information I need on a place that I want them to have - on the default UI everything is spread out over the whole screen - I prefer to have it in one spot.

    Recount - Hmm, ofc, damage meters play for me ...

    Smart Buff - ok, this might go in the direction, but I don't see a problem to be reminded while leveling, that I should get my buff food up again

    PetBattle Addons - beeing able to see, if I've already collected a pet, how many I have and the quality, makes life just easier, same with beeing able to set up several teams, saves lots of time - I hated it, when I was collecting pets in Azeroth, that I had to switch my pets manually all the time to have a team at the approbiate level

    Archaeology Addon - this profession still sucks and I have 11 toons to level it on, so yes, it might make the game "easier", but I don't see any skill required in leveling archaeology ...

    Decursive - where is the difference, if I see debuffs on the default UI and remove them via macro or if I use this addon, so my raid frames are not overloaded with information?

    DBM - Where does it play for me, just because I know when something is going to happen? I still have to know, what I have to do and still have to react in time. Besides many things are already implemented by Blizzard - I just prefer to have it at the right position and in a color I like.

    Eaves Drop - smaller version of the combat log - I love it, saves space and is easier to browse

    ForteXorcist - shows me information about my hots and dots

    GTFO - moving out of stuff doesn't really require skill, but with all the spells going on, it's in my opinion sometimes almost impossible to tell, if you're standing in some colored shit ... As soon as Blizzard solves this problem, I'm removing this addon again, because I think it's quite annoying.

    NugComboBar - With my unitframe addon I disabled all combo points, charges, runes ... and with this addon I place them in a spot that I like (and with some nice colors and animations )

    Omen - not really needed, but it's interesting

    OmniCC - I don't get why Blizzard hasn't implemented it in the default UI - seeing the time of CDs run off on your bar is really useful

    Postal - Collecting Mail if you're using the AH a lot is just annoying

    Prat - the default Chatframe just sucks

    Progress - I'm an altoholic, so I like the info how much closer to the next level I got with a kill / quest ...

    Quartz - CastBar addon - this way my castbar is at the position I want and in the color I want

    Scrap - junkseller - another addon that should already be implemented by Blizzard

    Tide Plates - the default name plates are just ugly

    TipTac - default tooltips are ugly and don't have all the info I want

    TomTom - I love the arrow on my UI to see where I have to go for a quest, instead of all the time opening the world map

    Lootaddon - I still hate what Blizzard did with the new lootsystem in dungeons and the rolls

    Weak auras - Instead of getting auras from the default UI that I don't want, can I design my own ones

    And then I have very few addons dor certain classes, like a BalanceDruid addon that lets me customize my Eclipse Bar (for looks, position and size).

    So, know please tell me, which addon makes me a bad player and tells me when to press a button?

    Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    I've talked to people who have told me, word for word, "I cannot play without addons." That is what I don't understand, unless they're just exaggerating their dependence on them.
    Maybe they just mean, that they don't want to play without addons. I would for sure quit WoW if I'd have to play with the default one. I'm playing WoW since Vanilla and if I imagine that I'd have to still look at the same (ugly) UI all the time, I'd be so bored ... now I currently have my girly UI wih lots of pink and I enjoy it.
    That's one reason why I usually don't enjoy Betas this much - I really dislike the default UI.

    But ofc, if in a raid my addons would suddenly break, I'd have problems to continue ... not because I can't play without them, but because my keybindings would for example no longer work.

  2. #262
    Pandaren Monk Of-the-horde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Reading lots of Mangas.
    Posts
    1,859
    I play with:
    -Xpearl unit frames
    -lootfilter
    -DBM
    -auctioneer
    -postal
    -oqueue
    -questomatic
    -ensidia fails

  3. #263
    Bloodsail Admiral De Lupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Buildin' a sentry!
    Posts
    1,029
    Hmmm...

    DBM
    Recount
    MLC
    TidyPlates
    MogIt
    Atlas
    NPCScan
    Omni
    MikScroll
    Altaholic

    Damn...I do have a lot. Guess I should have counted them all before voting.
    Last edited by De Lupe; 2013-10-05 at 12:05 PM.

  4. #264
    Legendary! TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    6,307
    Yeah, pretty much. People think they NEED all of the addons they have which is simply untrue. I used to raid with the default UI and about 3 addons (Omnicc (could raid without it), Tellmewhen, Bigwigs), that was all that was "needed". People depend waaay too much on addons.

  5. #265
    i need addons for buff and debuff tracking.

    honestly don't give a shit about boss timers. can't think of any raid mechanics impossible to handle without a timer.

    addons i'm using 100% of the time:


    addon control panel
    auctionlite
    dbm pvp
    elvui
    fortexorcist 2
    msbt
    oqueue
    postal
    zygor guides for leveling/mining/herbing toons
    Last edited by Racthoh; 2013-10-05 at 12:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by inboundpaper View Post
    The short answer is nope, the long answer is noooooooooooooooope.

  6. #266
    Field Marshal Merador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    ... when your HP and Resources (and those of the Enemy) are top Left of your screen...
    You can move those Frames without addons. Just choose the option with rightclick

  7. #267
    I'm just gonna state the obvious here. If you have played with ElvUI then going back to default UI is not an option. Period. It is literally (yes literally) game changing. An entirely new and much more enjoyable experience with ElvUI compared to without it.

  8. #268
    Titan Kangodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    12,934
    Let's advance this discussion, because we all know what he is talking about.

    clcret is the third most downloaded add-on for paladins.
    Care to explain why that makes people bad?
    A player that uses every tool he can get his hands on is, in my opinion, a better player than a person who doesn't.

  9. #269
    Its out of control. They should leave in addons like bags, action bars, inventory, and stuff like that because players should be able to customize those things. But get rid of crap like DBM. If players are so damn terrible they need an addon to tell them to move out of the fire then they should just quit.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Let's advance this discussion, because we all know what he is talking about.

    clcret is the third most downloaded add-on for paladins.
    Care to explain why that makes people bad?
    A player that uses every tool he can get his hands on is, in my opinion, a better player than a person who doesn't.
    cause the addon is playing their character for them? if something is telling you when to use abilities and you dont have to think for yourself then it makes you bad.

  10. #270
    Field Marshal Merador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    98
    Addons like clcret can improve your performance, but they also decrease your performance.
    If you must watch a little frame for every global cooldown, your raid awareness (what happens around you) sinks by a lot.

    So this addons makes it easier for new retpaladins, but you don't use it after you have played some month. Can be that i see that wrong and would explain why so many people still "stand in fire".

  11. #271
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    13,103
    I got quite a few addons even though I am not a fan of them in general terms. A bare bone WoW runs the smoothest, in my experience.
    Every time Blizzard makes improvements, and integrates functionality from successful addons, I'm happily throwing that addon out.

    The addons I have and use on all toons are:

    APC - changing addon sets on the fly is just an extremely valuable convenience.

    Bagnon - the bags handling in the default UI is just very inconvenient.
    Postal - as with the bags, the default mailing UI is lackluster too
    Auctioneer - same said again about the default UI
    TomTom - the waypoint arrow is priceless imo
    Paste - I love this one, since it bypasses the copy paste limitations of macros
    Quartz - properly set up, it's unbeatable in my opinion.
    NTK - Need to Know, I use for a long time, and I love it for it's versatility
    Pet Journal Enhanced - what the name says, enhances the default journal greatly.

    Complimentary addons I use on various, but not every toon:

    Recount - Only toons I take into raids use it. Otherwise it's a waste of resources
    Healbot - Obviously I use it for healer toons, I also use it on my pally tank for protective spells on party members.
    Guild2Guild - Using that on toons that are part of meta guilds. it broadcasts the guild chats of different guilds into one guild chat. Very nifty addon.
    NPC Scan - Well, self explanatory
    Silver Dragon - Same as above. Gotta track those rares across Azeroth. Unlike NPC Scan, SD has them all, even the lowbie zone rares.
    Raid Achievement - It helps to keep track on dungeon achievement attempt in 5 mans and raids while they are under way.
    Range Display - that one I could completely disable, since I basically just used it when I soloed the Whale Shark in Vashijr.
    DBM - Well, that's also obvious
    GTFO - As mentioned before, with all the spell effects it's sometimes really hard to tell what's beneath ones feet.
    ReforgeLite - Convenience pure
    QuestHubber - Helps greatly with displaying every single quest in any zone on the zone map via ! if you haven't done it.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

  12. #272
    I am Murloc! Baracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    And what part of the original UI makes it the worst MMO-UI out there atm?
    8 million people with probably around a million different UI's. It's called customization!
    Look at Runescape, arguably inferior combat etc to wow. But its new UI? Much better...

    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    Sorry, but being able to customise your game to suit your needs is the sign of a good developer.

    It would be impossible to develop a User Interface that keeps everyone happy, so why not develop a basic version that operates smoothly, and then let people bolt on whatever they like to make it suit their personal needs?

    How is that bad at all?

    Oh, and by the way. Before you spew something like; "Oh, but they COULD make a better U.I.", I suggest you actually study Game Technology & Development, as it really isn't as simple as it sounds.
    I'm not making any assumptions. I've asked Holinka himself and it's not because they can't (seriously you don't think Blizzard can?) it's because addons do it for them...
    Last edited by Baracuda; 2013-10-05 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Fixed who I asked
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

  13. #273
    I usually use DBM, altoholic, recount and Atlasloot, but have been considering ditching atlasloot as it almost never works for me anymore, always crashing when I open it.

    Largely convenience, but I don't feel like I need recount. It is nice to know if I'm for some reason performing poorly and then adjusting, experimenting, etc. But I don't really care how others are doing, I leave that to my raidleader tbh.

    DBM I honestly don't feel like I need much anymore, the blizzard raid warnings seem plenty fine, and I don't need a huge yell of DESTRUCTION to tell me the boss is casting "the big bad kill people spell" when I can clearly see his castbar myself.

    Altoholic is probably the one addon I would be hard pressed without, since I have many alts across 2 accounts and a 7 tab guild bank full of random stuff I gather here and there.

    I've been raiding since the days of MC, sometimes more than others, and I've always just used the standard UI.
    It has gotten so much better these days, I don't see why I should need more than what it has.
    But then, I don't play a healer anymore (not since Wrath). I can understand healers might it makes their lives easier.
    As prot or arms warrior, elemental shaman, combat rogue, frost dk, BM hunter or shadow priest I have never felt like I was missing out.
    Neither in raids, arena or general soloing.

    Tbh I think alot of it just has to do with what you're used to. My gf has used the same UI addons for like 6 years. Eventually changing to anything, even something better, becomes incredibly tedious, and one might not feel like it is worth it.
    Likewise, someone who has been using addons for everything under the sun is then used to having all that convenience, and for them playing the standard ui might feel like riding a bike with square wheels.
    I think habits play a much larger role than alot of people expect.

    I also think people should feel free to use whatever Blizzard allows them to. Free customization like we've seen for years, has paved the way for awesome addons that then became awesome additions to the blizzard UI for those of us who would otherwise never see it.

    I really feel it is the best of both worlds. See someone use something you want also? Go ahead and use it, noone's stopping you.
    Don't want to bother with looking into what is great and what isn't? Given enough time, the most convenient things will eventually be provided for you.
    I don't see why anyone could be bothered by what addons others use and don't use. Unless it's like, someone refusing to use a particular addon you require for your particular raiding or arena or whatever. Then it is just their loss I guess.

  14. #274
    Quote Originally Posted by Merador View Post
    Addons like clcret can improve your performance, but they also decrease your performance.
    If you must watch a little frame for every global cooldown, your raid awareness (what happens around you) sinks by a lot.
    It's much improved over watching three or four different locations all the time, simultaneously, none of which is in the center of the screen where you ought to be looking. Ret Paladins don't HAVE a "rotation." They have a bunch of irregular, clashing cooldowns with a strict priority. Most people need an addon for this because they're not fucking Rainman.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

    And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

  15. #275
    Titan Kangodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    12,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Look at Runescape, arguably inferior combat etc to wow. But its new UI? Much better..
    But is it customizable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Merador View Post
    Addons like clcret can improve your performance, but they also decrease your performance.
    If you must watch a little frame for every global cooldown, your raid awareness (what happens around you) sinks by a lot.

    So this addons makes it easier for new retpaladins, but you don't use it after you have played some month. Can be that i see that wrong and would explain why so many people still "stand in fire".
    No, "pro-paladins" still use it since the class has so many cooldowns and abilities to watch that it is near impossible to have 'raid awareness' while doing optimal damage.
    I like how you list 'loss of raid awareness' as a downside when that addon is primarily used to increase raid awareness.

  16. #276
    I'm using 100+ addons. Don't know exact number cause Curse client counts every single module of addons like Altoholic.

    In my opinion any game (obviously genre limited statement) that does not allow player customisation will not have much success and if it has it won't have longevity.
    I like the game to feel mine, my environment to be familiar and non-limiting to my personal playstyle. To be able to bypass or enhance any frustrating UI element.

  17. #277
    Quote Originally Posted by Danmakus View Post
    would like a addon or macro to randomize the mounts i mount.. and one to spawn one of my companion pets at random.
    Late reply to this poster, but seems nobody knows these...
    Random mount (flyable if possible), copy and paste as 1 line:
    /run local m,t,f="mount",{{},{}} for i=1,GetNumCompanions(m) do tinsert(t[bit.band(2,select(6,GetCompanionInfo(m,i)))==0 and 1 or 2],i) end f=IsFlyableArea() and 2 or 1 CallCompanion(m,t[f][random(#t[f])])

    random pets:
    /summonpet [button:2] Argent Gruntling
    /stopmacro [button:2]
    /randomfavoritepet [button:3]
    /stopmacro [button:3]
    /randompet

    yes, there is a macro command to randompet & randomfavoritepet. too bad there isn't one for mounts ;p

  18. #278
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    235
    I am a healer and I only use dbm [and skada] for raiding purpose. Used weakauras on some dd-alts though.
    Apart from that, I use Titan and Outfitter, sometimes Archy when doing archaeology.

  19. #279
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojumonkey View Post
    I'm just gonna state the obvious here. If you have played with ElvUI then going back to default UI is not an option. Period. It is literally (yes literally) game changing. An entirely new and much more enjoyable experience with ElvUI compared to without it.
    I once tried ElvUI, had it set up and everything. I hated it, and went back to bartender only.
    Now I'm just going to state the "obvious" here. ElvUI sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

  20. #280
    Legendary! TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    6,307
    Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    I once tried ElvUI, had it set up and everything. I hated it, and went back to bartender only.
    Now I'm just going to state the "obvious" here. ElvUI sucks.
    Maybe in your opinion, but many disagree. People say the default UI sucks, yet it worked fine for me.

    I've never used ElvUI, but it's very popular.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •