• 10-15

114 14.75%
  • 15-20

67 8.67%
  • 20-25

32 4.14%
  • 25+

176 22.77%
  • Blizzard should remove 3rd party addons.

39 5.05%
Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

Have Players gone Addon Crazy

The other night I was raiding when one of our players had a series of disconnect issues, eventually when he got back on his addon data had reset and he was unable to raid becuase his ui had set to default, his meters etc were not showing and his weak auras were not responding.

Now he did have stuff like dbm working and I think bartender was fine also.

But my question is this, have raiders become to attached to addons to be able to raid properly.

I raid with about 10-12 addons and most of them are small changes or boss mods addons.

But some people I am aware of are pushing the 50+ addons which I find crazy because at what point do your stop being a good player and become just a tool to press a button when the addon says so.

When to move, when to pop X,Y,Z. How to shop, where to fly, how to level, what a boss will do.

I just wanted to get the communities opinion on how many addons is too many addons.

If Blizzard invested development time in making their UI more responsive and didn't put awkward bot thwarting limits on their macros then I'd say remove them all. Since Blizzard doesn't make improvements to their UI there is no real reason to limit the amount of addons people want to make the game fun.

If an addon can do all the heavy lifting for your class, I recommend letting Blizzard know so they can fix or remove it. Otherwise these addons can disguise real game play issues and prevent them from being addressed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    If Blizzard invested development time in making their UI more responsive and didn't put awkward bot thwarting limits on their macros then I'd say remove them all. Since Blizzard doesn't make improvements to their UI there is no real reason to limit the amount of addons people want to make the game fun.

If an addon can do all the heavy lifting for your class, I recommend letting Blizzard know so they can fix or remove it. Otherwise these addons can disguise real game play issues and prevent them from being addressed.
    I seriously don't know what you are talking about. Unless you are a healer the default UI does pretty much everything except play the game for you... if you need an addon to tell you when x cd is done and what skills to use you're just a baddie... even DBM became less mandatory with the implementation of dungeon journal...

I use very few, but I don't really play on the "hardcore" level. Atlas Loot, DBM, and Recount are the only ones I really use. I used to use HealBot a lot on my holy Paladin, but I haven't played that character in so long that I don't know what level 90 healing is like or if HealBot is even still relevant. I used Bartender for a long time, but I don't even bother with it anymore.

I feel like the game UI itself has always been fine, and I have never had any need to change it.

Deleted
    Personally I've never installed any addons ever. I mean surely Blizzard should provide everything that you need to play the game. And in all honesty dozens of damage and threat metres and whatever else really aren't necessary to play the game. Sure, without them you won't be optimised but then no one else would be either, if the game had no addons.

The whole addon craze has never made sense to me. Not why people are ok with this system that puts people on an uneven playing field, and not why blizzard is cool with letting third parties do what is essentially hacking the game. I would be very grateful if someone could explain it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got quite alot. Can't play without dominos,xperl,weakauras and omni cc.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I refuse to use the default UI.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

The only addons I have that I'd consider "necessary" are weakauras and my raid frames, and even those I can play without after making a few simple macros, but having no obvious way to track all my procs (like my meta) would definitely negatively impact my performance. Recount is also pretty useful to figuring out what happened after a fight, and the meters are very motivating.

I definitely wouldn't raid without my addons willingly, though. They may be mostly quality of life, but that counts for a lot.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post

But there in lies the problem also, Instead of complaining to blizzard about a badly coded ui issue or a poorly coded element in the game players just decide to get an addon and put the issue under the rug.

Wat I do find annoying and I 100% believe that blizzard should address is boss mods, I think boss mods are fine once the content is say a month out. Without boss mods players will have to pay attention in fights, learn timings and work better as a team to overcome "unseen" issues. Where with boss mods from the get go it is "right big dmg in 5 seconds have personals ready, healers prepare" 4,3,2,1, ok there we go. Next mechanic.

My guild is not 13/14 normal and we only raid about 6 hours a week, other guilds on my server are 4/14 heroic and they all say the same that boss mods addons have made the fights seem to trivial that they have flown through the fights and this content is supposed to last months....

I have my fully upgraded 4 piece already with other bits, and one again 6 hours a week is all we raid.

Make it so boss mods can only be updated a month after content is released and then lets see how the difficulty scale goes up. Its then that older more experienced raiders who have raided with little addons will shine versus people who have only know raiding will a full assortment of addons to play for them.

DBM and Recount that's all i used. Dunno what DK may need. Don't have problem with runes and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Felarion View Post
    I got quite alot. Can't play without dominos,xperl,weakauras and omni cc.
    Can I ask why you feel that without addons your unable to play , I would like to get to the root of the issue.

I use maybe 5 - 10 addons per character, I have however 98 addons installed(most of them is parts of a other addon needed for specific things)

My most common addons
    WoWDB Profiler
    DBM
    DBM - Classic(Classic/TBC/Wrath)
    DBM -Cataclysm
    Weakauras(tracking)
    Tomtom
    Handynotes
    Recount
    Quartz
    Razer Naga
    Razer Anasi
    Masque
    Masque D3
    MSB

15+ Year Old Account
    Prat, Omni CC and Weak Auras should be UI Default.

They are mandatory for nearly any situation, with -perhaps- the exception of Weak Auras

Quote Originally Posted by JudgePayne View Post
    But there in lies the problem also, Instead of complaining to blizzard about a badly coded ui issue or a poorly coded element in the game players just decide to get an addon and put the issue under the rug.

Wat I do find annoying and I 100% believe that blizzard should address is boss mods, I think boss mods are fine once the content is say a month out. Without boss mods players will have to pay attention in fights, learn timings and work better as a team to overcome "unseen" issues. Where with boss mods from the get go it is "right big dmg in 5 seconds have personals ready, healers prepare" 4,3,2,1, ok there we go. Next mechanic.

My guild is not 13/14 normal and we only raid about 6 hours a week, other guilds on my server are 4/14 heroic and they all say the same that boss mods addons have made the fights seem to trivial that they have flown through the fights and this content is supposed to last months....

I have my fully upgraded 4 piece already with other bits, and one again 6 hours a week is all we raid.

Make it so boss mods can only be updated a month after content is released and then lets see how the difficulty scale goes up. Its then that older more experienced raiders who have raided with little addons will shine versus people who have only know raiding will a full assortment of addons to play for them.
    So instead of bossmods you have one guy call everything on vent. Such a meaningful difference.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Can I ask why you feel that without addons your unable to play , I would like to get to the root of the issue.
    Why do you assume there is an issue? Blizzard made the game so that you could have addons, therefore people use addons.. There is no flaw in using them.

Deleted
    i don't really use that many. i have a cooldown counter on my abilities, default UI, target health % on my targets, gathermate, atlasloot, DBM, recount, selljunk, NPCscan, coordinates, maybe a couple more but i can't think of them at the moment.

i don't need any of them and i COULD do everything without them, but i'm very fond of my cooldown counter and thp

Maybe cos of Weak Auras you can see proc easily rather then looking at top right corner?
    Looking at top right corner is baddie way to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Personally I've never installed any addons ever. I mean surely Blizzard should provide everything that you need to play the game. And in all honesty dozens of damage and threat metres and whatever else really aren't necessary to play the game. Sure, without them you won't be optimised but then no one else would be either, if the game had no addons.

The whole addon craze has never made sense to me. Not why people are ok with this system that puts people on an uneven playing field, and not why blizzard is cool with letting third parties do what is essentially hacking the game. I would be very grateful if someone could explain it.
    It's essentially outsourcing development of more advanced and customizable UI so that Blizzard can focus on real content. The players can make any customized UI they want and display everything exactly how they want and Blizzard doesn't have to put anything into it (aside from setting up the initial infrastructure to allow it to begin with). Nobody is hacking the game, Blizzard has certain functions and such that are protected that they do not allow players to access. They decide exactly what they want to allow addon developers to do. They've broken addons in the past on a few occasions that did things they didn't expect or decided not to allow anymore. Nobody is on an uneven playing field, everyone has access to addons. They're all free, open source, etc.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

i dont use a single addon..

would like a addon or macro to randomize the mounts i mount.. and one to spawn one of my companion pets at random.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

With the exception of weak auras/bigwigs, the rest of my addons/ui is for aesthetic purposes due the the default ui making my eyes bleed.