Thread: Going to London

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Prepare yourself to see some weeeiiirrrddd people running around. I'm all for different subcultures etc. but my god did I laugh my pants off when visiting London.

But in general it's a very fun place. Do visit a good opera if you get the chance, and do eat fish in chips out of a newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Prepare yourself to see some weeeiiirrrddd people running around. I'm all for different subcultures etc. but my god did I laugh my pants off when visiting London.

But in general it's a very fun place. Do visit a good opera if you get the chance, and do eat fish in chips out of a newspaper.
    Out of a newspaper?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakehead View Post
    Out of a newspaper?

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of a newspaper?
    The fish and chips is wrapped in thick white paper (often in a polystyrene container, or dish), then wrapped up in a bundle of paper to keep it warm, that outer bundle sometimes used to be newspaper as it was readily available - don't recall seeing it myself, but presumably they do it for tourists somewhere.

There is a saying, "Today's news is tomorrow's (fish and) chip paper", which means that if people are saying crap about you now for something you've done, then don't worry as it will be forgotten soon enough.

The picture above this, from Led ++, doesn't look like anything you'd get from a chippy that I've seen - they don't even look like chip shop chips.

Edit: Like this...

Last edited by Kalis; 2013-10-02 at 08:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Much appreciated. Both you and Decra have been very helpful. I want to see as many of the major attractions as possible over the 3 days I'm there. Decra mentioned the oyster and when I looked it up it seems they mail you the card and you have to pay with pounds. Is this the cheapest option or is it better to pay when needed. I already know th gatwick express is going to cost around 31 pounds for a return ticket. I wanted to use the public transportation but what's the best option?
    You should just buy a weekly/monthly pass (depending on length of your trip). It is way cheaper than Oyster and don't forget to visit the City of London.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

Deleted
    just be warned, it isn't a cheap city if you stay around the very touristy areas :P

i like the west end there and see a good show if thats what you're into. also when are you going? the clower towars christmas you get the more events that are usually happening around the southbank centre, usually some good food markets there or something. if you're going in December i'd advise going to HYde park winter wonderland, its awesome food and atmosphere there!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post

oh that looks nice!

i went to a really nice chip shop in London, can't for the life of me remember where it was though, it was near the HMS belfast on the southbank i think.

- - - Updated - - -

also avoid the tube at 7-9am and 4-6pm its hell.

My wife and I lived in Greenwich for almost 2 years and it is worth a visit. There is also a great pub just outside the North Greenwich tube station called The Pilot Inn, it was our local the entire time we were there and used to (hopefully still does) an outstanding Sunday Roast Dinner.

And the Pie shop in Greenwich proper is nice if you like that sort of thing, but right next to it is an awesome Vietnamese Noodle Bar

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Suprm View Post
    Lester Square, Soho, Hyde Park, Oxford Street, Tower of London and other old monuments are some of the nice places to visit. One more add, if you like horror type theatrical areas, 'The London Dungeons' is the place to see!

Don't go EastEnd!!

PS: +1 EvrenGaming

oh i forgot about London dungeons, has that reopened now?

last time i went there it was pretty cool, a little cheesy at times but still a lot of fun

Deleted
    When visiting, please remember that London is in no way representative of anywhere else in the UK.

Sounds obvious, but so many people come to London and then think they've experienced Britain. London is its own little world, and the life and culture there are completely different to everywhere else in our tiny little country.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    oh i forgot about London dungeons, has that reopened now?
    I heard that they've reopened, but in a new location - which confused me no end.

Deleted
    London sucks, the only reason to visit is to watch some sort of sporting event or going to work.

(I hate London)

Deleted
    London is a shit hole. Stay away from East London.

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    Just use google if you are unable to be a big boy in here.
    coming from a liberal that would cry bullying if i said the wrong thing to him i find IRONIC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post

In St. James's park I saw Orthodox Jews, Muslims, Goths, Punks, Bikers...so yeah, London being a global city does have a lot of "weirdness" and diversity.

London, like any other large Western City, has its ups and downs. Just avoid the "overhyped and overpriced" attractions like Madame Tussauds. Some attractions which are expensive to get into like Westminster Abbey are worth it, if you have the money/time.

Get off the main city tourist trail, check trip advisor and for the love of God - don't go anywhere near Tottenham.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycefli View Post
    ...for the love of God - don't go anywhere near Tottenham.
    I went there in 2004; the place was a complete shithole and the locals were somewhat barbaric, but we had a lovely time.

also avoid the tube at 7-9am and 4-6pm its hell.
    Actually I'd extend that to 4-7pm, and also include lunchtimes - 12-2pm.

It's also worth noting that you can walk from one side of the Circle line to the other in about an hour, and a lot of the stuff you're likely to visit falls within that area. If you're travelling less than 3-4 stops, it's probably quicker to just walk.

I'm an American and go to London a lot on business (currently there now) - had lunch earlier at Simpsons on Leadenhall Street, a tavern that has stood on it's current premises since the 1750's (about 25 years before our nations decided to go their separate ways ). Food was delicious and the place has an incredible atmosphere, well worth a visit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    coming from a liberal that would cry bullying if i said the wrong thing to him i find IRONIC.
    Good morning, sunshine!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerean View Post
    I'm an American and go to London a lot on business (currently there now) - had lunch earlier at Simpsons on Leadenhall Street, a tavern that has stood on it's current premises since the 1750's (about 25 years before our nations decided to go their separate ways ). Food was delicious and the place has an incredible atmosphere, well worth a visit.

if you like old cool looking buildings / pubs in London theres a really really cool one in SoHo area,, can't remember its name but its really cool, has a tree growing in the middle of the pub, expensive as hell but awesome building to see inside.

if you like old cool looking buildings / pubs in London theres a really really cool one in SoHo area,, can't remember its name but its really cool, has a tree growing in the middle of the pub, expensive as hell but awesome building to see inside.
    Think I've been there, called O'Connors or something. Had a very surreal evening with a load of drunk Irishmen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's O'Connells, and tbh it's just a typical Irish pub that has a tree in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valerean View Post
    Think I've been there, called O'Connors or something. Had a very surreal evening with a load of drunk Irishmen.
    O'Connors sounds right, not O'Connells.