Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Can a protpally solotank malkoroks P2 on 10 HC?

Hey Guys,

simple question. I'm the RL of my guild and i'll try to go with the 1 Tank P2 strat, but i'm not sure about whether it is possible to solotank him as a protpally or protwarri. in case someone did it before, i would appreciate any advice

Its pretty simple just do the math.

2.8m hit(10% weakened blows + shield of righteous(use HA to have 100% uptime during both blood rages) = 1.3-1.4m hits

Now you need 20 seconds of CDs(blood rage phases are 2:40 apart so you cant use the same CDs(only like the last 5 seconds of 2nd blood rage do they come up)

So depending on what you have in your raid you might be able to solo soak it and possibly have your other tank pop everything and jump in as a cd since that will make you take half the damage for part of it.

Deleted
    Yes, it is doable with paladin quite easily.

Deleted
    thank you jellospally for this information. this will help me a lot to convince our pally to do it

I know a guy that solo-tanks Malkorok 25HC P2, so 10HC should be doable too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post

2.8m hit(10% weakened blows + shield of righteous(use HA to have 100% uptime during both blood rages) = 1.3-1.4m hits

Now you need 20 seconds of CDs(blood rage phases are 2:40 apart so you cant use the same CDs(only like the last 5 seconds of 2nd blood rage do they come up)

So depending on what you have in your raid you might be able to solo soak it and possibly have your other tank pop everything and jump in as a cd since that will make you take half the damage for part of it.
    Unless you already got a tank trinket of malkorok, and then cds should be up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post

Sanctuary reduces damage taken by 15%
    Weakened Blows 10%
    ShoR ~50%
    Armor ~60%

2.4 million damage unmitigated ~ 370k damage with ShoR up without even having Guardian up. On 25 man you work with Hand of Sacrifice and Pain Suppression on top of that.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-10-03 at 01:53 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Sanctuary reduces damage taken by 15%
    Weakened Blows 10%
    ShoR ~50%
    Armor ~60%

2.4 million damage unmitigated ~ 370k damage with ShoR up without even having Guardian up. On 25 man you work with Hand of Sacrifice and Pain Suppression on top of that.
    I understood that armor does not affect Blood Rage?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorant View Post
    I understood that armor does not affect Blood Rage?
    it does since its physical

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminalol View Post
    But then 2 tanks would be able to soak it always without any cds? Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Luminalol View Post
    Armor does not mitigate blood rage. Its one of those weird physical damage abilities that isn't affected by armor(see things like Horridon Dire Call or Ji-Kun's quills as well). If armor did mitigate it, it would be ridiculously simple to tank, as on HC 2 tanks standing together would only take ~700k each without any cooldowns popped at all, just afking(2.8 / 2 = 1.4m base to each, 60% is 840k, 10% weakened blows is 750, 10% passive dmg reduction from being a tank is 680k).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadinar View Post
    Armor does not mitigate blood rage. Its one of those weird physical damage abilities that isn't affected by armor(see things like Horridon Dire Call or Ji-Kun's quills as well). If armor did mitigate it, it would be ridiculously simple to tank, as on HC 2 tanks standing together would only take ~700k each without any cooldowns popped at all, just afking(2.8 / 2 = 1.4m base to each, 60% is 840k, 10% weakened blows is 750, 10% passive dmg reduction from being a tank is 680k).
    Yeah that's what I thought also, because the whole phase would be completely meaningless.

Yeah, just cause it's physical doesn't mean armor affects it. A good example from the same instance is iron prison on dark shamans.

I'm pretty sure our Monk tank said that the trinket from The Fallen Protectors is working for the Blood Rages (AoE dmg reduction).
    In that case it should be doable to solo tank the blood rage phase rather easily with it.

On another note, I was able to solo tank the blood rage phases just fine during progress with an external cd like Sacrifice or Pain Sup and HA + GoaK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hoping to get some feedback of tanks who have done this already

How's your CD rotation? How many % reduction do you need to have rolling?

I already got the nh malkorok trinket, so all CDs should be up for the 2nd bloodrage aswell? Do you go Mastery for this fight or stay Haste?

Is HA (full duration) + GoAK followed by glyphed DP + AD enough? Or do you need external CDs aswell?

Do you go SS or EF for this one? (ie. do you need the healing of the shield during bloodrage?)

Any POV Videos up already?

Thanks!
    RL, GM and DK Tank for Guild redacted, EU-Gorgonnash
    Chars: Blood DK / Prot Paladin

Battle Tag: Riemu#2789

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Riemu2k3 View Post
    Hoping to get some feedback of tanks who have done this already

How's your CD rotation? How many % reduction do you need to have rolling?

I already got the nh malkorok trinket, so all CDs should be up for the 2nd bloodrage aswell? Do you go Mastery for this fight or stay Haste?

Is HA (full duration) + GoAK followed by glyphed DP + AD enough? Or do you need external CDs aswell?

Do you go SS or EF for this one? (ie. do you need the healing of the shield during bloodrage?)

Any POV Videos up already?

Thanks!
    I opened with HA + GOAK, after GOAK faded I popped AD + glyphed DP, usually got an ironbark / vigilance during AD just to be safe. I don't think externals are necessary during the first blood rage phase, but it's usually better to be safe than sorry, just don't use any 3 minute cooldown externals they are better used during the second one. For the second blood rage I had HA + Barrier + Ironbark, after IB + barrier had faded I got PS + Vigilance, by the time PS + Vigilance have faded your own majors should be up, especially with the CDR trinket. The second blood rage is much more straightforward than the first one because you can just chain everything you have, if you have the dps for Malkorok the fight will end shortly after / during the blood rage phase.
    EF heals like a beast during the blood rage phase, topping you with each tick if you refresh it with 5 stacks of BoG and vengeance cap. I went with haste + t15 4 set for our first kill, on our second kill I had hastecap with no setbonuses, both worked fine. My survivability during the blood rage phase was never an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syyllinen View Post
    I opened with HA + GOAK, after GOAK faded I popped AD + glyphed DP, usually got an ironbark / vigilance during AD just to be safe. I don't think externals are necessary during the first blood rage phase, but it's usually better to be safe than sorry, just don't use any 3 minute cooldown externals they are better used during the second one. For the second blood rage I had HA + Barrier + Ironbark, after IB + barrier had faded I got PS + Vigilance, by the time PS + Vigilance have faded your own majors should be up, especially with the CDR trinket. The second blood rage is much more straightforward than the first one because you can just chain everything you have, if you have the dps for Malkorok the fight will end shortly after / during the blood rage phase.
    EF heals like a beast during the blood rage phase, topping you with each tick if you refresh it with 5 stacks of BoG and vengeance cap. I went with haste + t15 4 set for our first kill, on our second kill I had hastecap with no setbonuses, both worked fine. My survivability during the blood rage phase was never an issue.
    Thanks mate, that's exactly what I was looking for!
    RL, GM and DK Tank for Guild redacted, EU-Gorgonnash
    Chars: Blood DK / Prot Paladin

Battle Tag: Riemu#2789

Having Either the Cd Reduction Trinket or the Aoe Reduction trinket from Protectors can make the soak much easier, if you have both the damage will become laughable.

Using HA to get full Sotr Coverage for the whole thing i go AD // DP With Vigilance // Iron Bark on top of that and then for 2nd GotAK // DP+Pain Sup With Vigilance // Iron Bark on top of that and AD comes back for the last several seconds so use that as soon as its up.

If you have the Reduction Trinket then simply go GoTak/ AD+DP for both, On top of that if you have Vigilance from a warrior, Iron Bark from a druid, HoS From a Paladin use them with the Ad/DP combo if you only have one, otherwise spread so you got coverage for the whole 20 seconds, Iron bark is only 20% so use that with GotAk where HoS and Vigi are 30% so use them with AD+DP, Save Pain Sup for the 2nd one as that hitting harder.

If you have the Protectors trinket then use that as you go into it, better to use it early rather then later as that last 5 seconds isn't as painful with a full vengeance EF Ticks.

That Being said if you are lucky enough to have both trinkets you will find the damage done from this just laughable, actually the Protectors trinket alone makes it laughable to the point that 25man tanks can solo it, the Reduction trinket just makes it easier for you since you know your cds will be up for both.

Deleted
    We have our DK do it and he if can survive a paladin will be fine.

I did this for our guild's first kill last night, without stamina gems, stamina trinkets, the AoE reduction trinket or the CD reduction trinket. 895k HP raid-buffed. Ran with 53% reduction on SotR (27% mastery) and ~40% haste unbuffed.

Note that using Holy Avenger is necessary to maintain SotR uptime when Blood Rage starts. I went with Eternal Flame after trying SS on the first night.

Blood Rage 1:
    1 GoAK + sacrifice
    2 AD+DP (glyphed) + vigilance

Blood Rage 2:
    1 Smoke Bomb + Sacrifice + warrior raid CDs
    2 AD+DP (glyphed) when it comes off CD + vigilance

Note that Sac and Vigilance are not necessary for the first blood rage, I was able to soak it fine with my own CDs + HA.

Kill video (paladin tank PoV): youtube.com/watch?v=QPIdaPlrTvs
    WoL: worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-acpm3ucnm1hcblsb/sum/damageDone/?s=5542&e=5880

Note that in the video I actually (accidentally) switched around GoAK and AD/DP in the first blood rage phase.