Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    The grass isn't always greener; I rolled a warlock and regret it.

    Hi,

    Sometime ago I mentioned that I was going to roll warlock. Well I did, and while it's ok, I just don't feel happy. Damage is fine, playstyle is fine, but I guess playing a mage for 6+ years really becomes a part of you. I don't care much for demons and dots and slowly decaying your enemy as I enjoy up front damage. When I see other mages I start to get sad because I used to be a part of this community.

    I haven't logged in to my warlock in 2 weeks, and I am so tempted to level up a mage again. I hope you all can forgive me for leaving you all, and I hope to be welcomed back with open arms.

    Thank you.

  2. #2

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin View Post
    Hi,

    Sometime ago I mentioned that I was going to roll warlock. Well I did, and while it's ok, I just don't feel happy. Damage is fine, playstyle is fine, but I guess playing a mage for 6+ years really becomes a part of you. I don't care much for demons and dots and slowly decaying your enemy as I enjoy up front damage. When I see other mages I start to get sad because I used to be a part of this community.

    I haven't logged in to my warlock in 2 weeks, and I am so tempted to level up a mage again. I hope you all can forgive me for leaving you all, and I hope to be welcomed back with open arms.

    Thank you.
    Its not for everyone. You tried it, you didn't like it? Cool. Go back to what you enjoy. No harm done. It's the reason there's more than one class in the game. We'll still jokingly make fun of you though because, well, that's what locks do. (You shouldn't care though because if you do, it just makes it funnier )

  3. #3
    Haha, thanks buddy. Yeah, for some reason I felt "fake" and not myself. While playing, I just wasn't happy. The excitement that I had before has come back now since I'm leveling a mage again. Lesson learned - stay true to who you are and the grass isn't always greener, that's for sure.

  4. #4
    Destruction is kinda like Fire but without the RNG chokehold. It's all fire spells, You put up your one dot, then just use both instant cast and cast time fire spells (and one shadow/fire spell, Chaosbolt). Only thing is missing is having multiple targets with a dot ticking, then BOOM! everything gets lit up and explodes feeling you get when Living Bomb/combustion goes off.

    Affliction shares a closer resemblance to a shadow priest than a mage. It's lots and lots of dots, and fear, and dots. (and finish off with the California shadow bolt) I've never really tried demo, except for back in wrath when it was the "leveling" spec.

    But as Roujeaux says, you tried it, it wasn't for you, stick with what you like doing.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

  5. #5
    Mage in a sense is as far from warlocks as it's from melee classes.. in a way we are closer to melee on how our damage works, minus white damage ofc. Mage is the only ranged class that I like to play, but I enjoy melee too. It's just mage is my 1 and only true love in this game, and even that has been falling apart of late(quit wow a week ago).

  6. #6
    Brewmaster Methusula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,302
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Mage in a sense is as far from warlocks as it's from melee classes.. in a way we are closer to melee on how our damage works, minus white damage ofc. Mage is the only ranged class that I like to play, but I enjoy melee too. It's just mage is my 1 and only true love in this game, and even that has been falling apart of late(quit wow a week ago).
    I think it's a prerequisite for Mage mods to stop playing the game/class.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Methusula View Post
    I think it's a prerequisite for Mage mods to stop playing the game/class.
    It's been brewing a long time. In the end raiding was the only thing keeping me playing since ICC and I just didn't find a comfortable guild to be in.. Plus I need to get my life in order , turns out playing WoW for nearly 9 years with average of almost 7 hours a day does somewhat skrew your life. Not that I will quit for good, but life takes prio for now.

  8. #8
    I know what you're talking about. I levelled a Warlock too. Started in Cata when the overhaul was announced, but didn't like it much back then and still can't appreciate the class now. It just doesn't feel right. I can't stand playing my Warlock in PVE more than a couple of days a month and in PVP I've found out that I enjoy supporting toolkit of Shadow Priest a lot more. Too bad SP is pretty bad right now.

  9. #9
    I rolled a warlock a bit into MoP too after the fire nerfs. I know what you mean by it felt "fake" though.

    After doing a lock experience I'm more attached to my mage. Particularly...TELEPORTS. I can't live without them now -.-
    "Too late, and to their sorrow, do those who misplace their trust in gods learn their fate" - Judge Bergan

    The notion that nature can be calculated inevitably leads to the conclusion that humans too can be reduced to basic mechanical parts

  10. #10
    Dreadlord nimryas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    804
    So sorry, not sorry, I don't forgive you.

    Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

  11. #11
    The Patient Tuzantar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    219
    Betraying your class for Fotm reroll?
    I could never forgive that. It's pathetic.
    I'm glad you didn't like it.

  12. #12
    Welcome back bro. Long live Dalaran!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuzantar View Post
    Betraying your class for Fotm reroll?
    I could never forgive that. It's pathetic.
    I'm glad you didn't like it.
    I'm asking for forgiveness. We all make mistakes; I'm sorry.

  14. #14
    what you mean by rolled a warlock? did you delete your 6+ year mage?

    why do you need to level a new mage in order too play a mage again?
    Last edited by Draknalor186; 2013-10-03 at 10:30 PM.

    My MaL http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Draknalor For The Glory Of Ecchi

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    what you mean by rolled a warlock? did you delete your 6+ year mage?

    why do you need to level a new mage in order too play a mage again?
    I think he means level from 85 to 90.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    I think he means level from 85 to 90.
    "I am so tempted to level up a mage again"

    he said "A" mage not the mage and "again" meaning he had alrdy done it once so not the same mage as he once had

    or he is just writing really strange and i'm reading it different then what he means

    My MaL http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Draknalor For The Glory Of Ecchi

  17. #17
    You played a Warlock and discovered that you were a Mage at heart. At least you had the courage to try something different.

    I wonder how many Mages will never do that and find out that they are Warlocks at heart?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin View Post
    Hi,

    Sometime ago I mentioned that I was going to roll warlock. Well I did, and while it's ok, I just don't feel happy. Damage is fine, playstyle is fine, but I guess playing a mage for 6+ years really becomes a part of you. I don't care much for demons and dots and slowly decaying your enemy as I enjoy up front damage. When I see other mages I start to get sad because I used to be a part of this community.

    I haven't logged in to my warlock in 2 weeks, and I am so tempted to level up a mage again. I hope you all can forgive me for leaving you all, and I hope to be welcomed back with open arms.

    Thank you.
    What happened to your first mage?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TacTican View Post
    You played a Warlock and discovered that you were a Mage at heart. At least you had the courage to try something different.

    I wonder how many Mages will never do that and find out that they are Warlocks at heart?
    I hate my lock. Mage 4 life!!

  19. #19
    High Overlord Henzington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    184
    I have been a mage ever since I switched in wrath after being a holy pally in vanilla/bc. I do love to tank though warrior is quite fun.

  20. #20
    Pandaren Monk Myz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,773
    I did the same thing and I have no regrets thus far. I'm lucky we have a very high quality alt run starting heroics that I can play my Mage in, so I'm not really having to miss H progress on my old main.

    It was either Warlock or backup/casual for me in my current guild. Since I'm more attached to the people I'm playing with than the class I'm playing, I took the bitter pill and went Warlock. At first it was hard, even though my Warlock was my main during Vanilla Naxx (only time when I wasn't raiding on my Mage, for obvious reasons...), it's a steep learning curve to compete directly with other players. In the end, it's very rewarding to be able to play my Warlock (almost) as good as I can play my Mage.
    I also disagree with Mages and Warlocks being worlds apart. Destruction, in a way, feels extremely familiar. Affliction is another dimension though, and Demo is too unique to compare with anything.

    But I do miss having my Mage as my best geared toon, I'll admit that
    Last edited by Myz; 2013-10-04 at 02:02 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •