Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

That ONE Piece of Gear You Never Ended Up Winning...

After years of playing WoW, we ALL have that one item that just would not drop!!! What was that item for you, and why did you want it so badly?

I remember in ICC I raided as Frostfire. From the second I saw the loot tables on patch day, I could not wait until the moment I would get my Phylactery of the Nameless Lich trinket from Sindragosa. After dozens and dozens of clears, week after week, I never saw it drop. When it finally dropped more than 6 months later, it was loot counseled to an alt mage that had just swapped from Arcane to Fire THAT SAME NIGHT!! Never saw it drop again...=(

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this item did drop, but at the patch i didn't need it anymore.

Back in 4.1 i needed the staff from Zul'Gurub end boss, and each day i ran it to have it because i needed the epic staff for my hunter.
    After doing it EVERYDAY once, i didn't get any drop =/
    Then 4.2 Rage of the Firelands hitted live, and it dropped. ;(

Bad luck i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Me and my guild farmed BT for 8 months for a mainhand warglaive that never dropped during BC. I think we had like 3 offhands and another 2 people who joined the guild with offhands. The dps boost from the offhand was maybe 100 dps, but having the set was like a 600 dps increase which was pretty insane. This was when 3k dps was the highest recorded parse for a patchwerk boss, aka brutallus.

Beast Lord Cuirass from the dungeon set in TBC. I knew I could easily obtain an alternative/something better but the damn thing wouldn't drop and it became somewhat of an obsession to the point I ran Botanica over and over, I've must have ran it 100+ times. To this day, even on alts or nostalgia/transmog runs I've never seen it drop.

Easy enough, Deathbringer's Will aka DBW Heroic. I killed Saurfang (h) 19 times and it dropped 2 or 3 times but i never got it, damn i wanted this trinket soooooo bad

10+ Year Old Account
    DST

10char
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

DFO, heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    After about a half year of constant Onyxia grinding on my gnome rogue (level 60) I finally got my Bloodfang Hood. I wouldn't change it out until I got the Stealther's Helmet of Second Sight...

Okay, sure, I did end up getting it but damn, that's about 24 runs of Onyxia... once per week. I did grind Onyxia in WotLK a lot to get the Obsidian Blade for my DK but I still haven't gotten it... I kinda gave up after realizing it was just the Bloodfang Hood thing all over again.

Back in Cata, I used a 359 helm (t11 normal) all the way until t13, when I finally managed to get a replacement for it (VP helm).

Heroic Deathbringer's Will. I'm still bitter about that. We killed Deathbringer Saurfang countless times, and it never dropped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Acquired Benediction. Have not won any staff ever since the introduction of transmog. QQ.

Unfortunately, I have a few...

Spiteblade - Netherspite in Karazhan. Even across two characters, and current content to live, I've never seen it drop. (too many kills to track)
    Sulfuras, the Extinguished Hand - Ragnaros in Firelands. (25 Normal kills, 4 Heroic kills)
    Experimental Specimen Slicer - Yor'sahj the Unsleeping in Dragon Soul. (45 Normal kills, 22 Heroic kills)

Edit: Added kill counts.
    Last edited by Monkiy; 2013-10-02 at 10:29 PM.

I can think of a couple; one I never got when it was relevant content, one I got when it was just weeks from the next expansion making it effectively irrelevant, and one tormented me for months before I got it. I joined my guild's main raid team about six months into ICC, so I was fairly low priority on loot for a while. The Tiny Abom off of Putricide rarely dropped, and if it did it went to someone else. At long last I got it...about a week before Cata.

The other I can think of from my ICC days was Deathbringer's Will, and how it always went to someone else. Never got it when it was current; when I was working on my T10 heroic set this expansion, it dropped and I won it, just so I could finally close that chapter of my raiding career.

Of all the rest of the time I was raiding, nothing bothered me more than not getting my tier shoulders during Dragon Soul. The VP helm was better itemized for enhance at the time than the tier helm, and while I was able to get a 4-set while using my old shoulders from FL, I really wanted the tier shoulders (partly so I could have better stats, and partly because I was so in love with T13's looks). Ran LFR every week, prot token would never drop; if it did, it would always go to either a PVP-geared chart-bottomer, or someone who already had their tier and rolled need because they could. Really pissed me off when tokens went to hunters who already had their tier; I wanted to scream every time. When I was running normals with my old guild, I saw it once, and it went to our tank (who later abandoned the guild and the server, which severely pissed me off). When I started running normals again with my new guild, it never dropped there either. I managed to get two LFR No'kaleds, and then later two normal No'kaleds, before even once seeing that damn shoulder token. At long last it finally dropped for me a couple months later, and I was so damn happy.

Decent robes in BC. Finally got the blue ones to drop from Shadow Lab after doing it every day for weeks. With T4 and 5, saw almost NO Conq chest tokens drop and didn't win any of those few that did. A couple of days before killing Illidan, I finally got the robes from Gurtogg. I also used the Rejuvenating Gem for most of BC but I think that was more because of itemization than trinkets not dropping.

During Wrath - Heroic Abomination In A Jar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkiy View Post
    Unfortunately, I have a few...

Spiteblade - Netherspite in Karazhan. Even across two characters, and current content to live, I've never seen it drop.
    Sulfuras, the Extinguished Hand - Ragnaros in Firelands.
    Experimental Specimen Slicer - Yor'sahj the Unsleeping in Dragon Soul.
    i have alot of hate for that item. Koho took one and rotten took one on his alt. never seen it again. Im so bitter I remember who took them....
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

deathbringer's will

10+ Year Old Account
    For me it was the healing shield for my paladin from Chess in Karazhan. Although I guess it did eventually drop... But this night we had a pug healer, who was also a holy paladin. Guess who won the roll? Yea. I paid him 1000g for it, which was a lot of money back then.

Although I do have some good loot stories. The first Deathbringer's Will that dropped for my guild, they gave it to me specifically because I was our best DPS Similar story with the Sharpened Obsidian Sword from 25M Onyxia, except the guild leader gave it to me after me keeping up with dps and being a trial raider and not getting any loot for weeks.
    Last edited by Forgettable; 2013-10-02 at 08:58 PM.

Back in TBC, my guild farmed BT for almost 8 months before sunwell came out. The only piece I needed for full BiS was the "zergling staff". It never dropped.

More times than I care to imagine.

Most recent: Renaki's Soulthingy trinket off Jin'rok of ToT

First attempt my guild went in...it dropped and I lot it to a Hunter (I play Enh)
    I figure no worries...it was just week one.
    Two weeks later it dropped and I rolled 98...WW Monk rolled 100.
    I used 2 coins on that boss all patch.
    1 in LFR 1 in Normal/Heroic...never saw another copy

But on the plus side...I got WarForged AoC on a bonus roll second kill of Pride this time.