Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

This Expansion tried to kill alts, simple as that.

First with the auction house nerfs with having to farm on a main to get the best items, then with the cloak, it's all obvious that they have explicitly targeted the destruction of the value of having many alts.

Now this has advantages since sometimes you felt it obligatory to have alts to compete with others, especially in making gold or competing in the most hard core guilds with the highest variety of personally controlled characters though it has a small disadvantage (albeit it is indeed probably lesser than the advantage) that sometimes it did make sense to have alts with fun without being forced.

It didn't try to kill alts it was just an unfortunate side effect of trying to keep casual players entertained and subscribed via constant character progression (legendary questline) and it's something they have tried to fix (reducing exp, timeless isle).

Yeah, I mean, it's pretty hard to gear an alt nowadays.
    I wish I could just get epic items by running around.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is/are/were the auction house nerfs?

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Refrencing to Spirits of Harmony

Deleted
    Prior to pandas you could have a crafter on the auction house that only had to level up to 85 (or even 80) and then level the professions only. Now you had to go around collecting soulbound items. This destroyed the possibility of running a gold making operation with only one main going around raiding and actually playing the world, unless you are completely lifeless and play more than 20 hours a day, which is practically impossible.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, Ofcourse Blizzard would try and kill off one of if not the biggest reason the majority of people play, I don't know anyone anymore that sticks to one character, You're talking crap I'm afraid, go get some sleep because you're jibbering

They just went too far with making alts time consuming. Even though things are better now, not having dungeons with decent gear this tier for quick gearing up is still hindering many people. Personally I prefer to run dungeons whenever I feel like it for as long as I feel like it, instead of dealing with weekly lockouts and big queues for essentially the same stuff.

Before people feel the need to point out 496 token gear, 496 gear is relatively way worse than any last tier dungeon gear ever was. 528 LFR gear is relatively much closer to what dungeon gear used to be than 496 token gear.

I'd have alts if there were a flying tome. I hate leveling without flying, once was enough. Trying to level one through pet battles but not even 86 yet...

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    Prior to pandas you could have a crafter on the auction house that only had to level up to 85 (or even 80) and then level the professions only. Now you had to go around collecting soulbound items. This destroyed the possibility of running a gold making operation with only one main going around raiding and actually playing the world, unless you are completely lifeless and play more than 20 hours a day, which is practically impossible.
    Rofl, You do realise this bullshit goes against what you're saying? Right? Contradicting yourself, Hilarious, This gives you more reason to level an alt, to get the extra profesions maxxed, Oh well, I guess you didn't realise that in your first little rant^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Yes, Ofcourse Blizzard would try and kill off one of if not the biggest reason the majority of people play, I don't know anyone anymore that sticks to one character, You're talking crap I'm afraid, go get some sleep because you're jibbering
    And you just proved you are new to the game. I played the game since mid-TBC. I eventually ended up with a huge enterprise that has drained the whole realm of its gold, so trust me when I say they hit at alts with Mop's launch.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am pretty sure they didnt try to kill alts as evidenced by that elixir thats been in since launch that increases xp gain by a lot but rather they thought ppl would be willing to do insane daily grinds cuse theyre "just" dailies. Then they reversed the position with double rep gains (after you do the rep the "proper" way to revered) and such.
    Last edited by lokinrond713; 2013-10-02 at 11:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, always been the case that their equivalent was bop, just in tbc/wrath/cata they eventually made them boe, in mop they gave quicker methods of acquiring them, as well as practically making them obsolete in later patches (much as the older expansion ones became obsolete too).

Given the ease of getting gear through lfr, I don't see the problem with alts, other than in the initial stages of the expansion, where gear to get high enough ilevel for LFR was gated behind rep vendors, the stages of the expansion where people tend to work on mains, not alts anyway.

Now with the welfare timeless isle gear too, I don't really see this expansion having a much more negative effect on alts than any other.

10+ Year Old Account
    First with the auction house nerfs with having to farm on a main to get the best items, then with the cloak, it's all obvious that they have explicitly targeted the destruction of the value of having many alts.

Now this has advantages since sometimes you felt it obligatory to have alts to compete with others, especially in making gold or competing in the most hard core guilds with the highest variety of personally controlled characters though it has a small disadvantage (albeit it is indeed probably lesser than the advantage) that sometimes it did make sense to have alts with fun without being forced.
    op you are wayy off, this expansion did not try to kill alts at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if this post is sarcastic or not, because I've never found it easier to juggle multiple alts. Between the Grand Commendations that unlocked 2x the rep gains for all characters on your account, the account-wide achievements, mounts, and pets, the Battlefield: Barrens and Timeless Isle BoE/BoA gear, the buffed drop rates each patch for all of the Legendary quest items, the addition of LFR (technically that was last expansion, but MoP was the only xpac to have it at launch), etc., leveling and gearing alts has never been so easy. That's been my experience anyway.
    Last edited by MissCleo; 2013-10-02 at 11:48 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, always been the case that their equivalent was bop, just in tbc/wrath/cata they eventually made them boe, in mop they gave quicker methods of acquiring them, as well as practically making them obsolete in later patches (much as the older expansion ones became obsolete too).

Given the ease of getting gear through lfr, I don't see the problem with alts, other than in the initial stages of the expansion, where gear to get high enough ilevel for LFR was gated behind rep vendors, the stages of the expansion where people tend to work on mains, not alts anyway.

Now with the welfare timeless isle gear too, I don't really see this expansion having a much more negative effect on alts than any other.
    yeaah...... aside from well a lot of things if u add something alt friendly to the last patch of the xpac the xpac itself is not alt friendly

Its not about killing alts..They had a completely wrong approach alts are doable, just useless.

The problem with the game right now is 1)Trinkets 2)Legendary cloak 3)Meta gem.

Without the decent trinkets (As DPS always)you are useless, without the legendary cloak and meta gem you are behind 20% by default, counting not having BiS trinkets there is no possible chance for a DPS alt to stand a chance doing anything.

Also the catch up system of this expansion was wrong.

WOTLK catch up, aka the 3 heroics were 1 tier normal behind with weapons.. same with Cataclysm heroics, but Timeless Isle is 2 tiers behind, not one, hence alts are useless everywhere, even in ToT LFR, cause they have shitty stats, no trinkets, and more importantly no weapon at all.

Right now any DPS alt is completely useless, considering the average SoO normal raider has an item level of 530-540 with the meta gem and the cloak, for an alt to reach that they require at least 1 lucky week with Sigils, 3 weeks for valor quest + 4 weeks more if lucky for the rest, 2 months just for the cloak.

Compared to WOTLK/Cata the catch up system in MoP is terrible cause of the cloak quest line and what comes with it and the way they changed trinkets.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freehoof View Post
    I'm not sure if this post is sarcastic or not, because I've never found it easier to juggle multiple alts. Between the Grand Commendations that unlocked 2x the rep gains for all characters on your account, the account-wide achievements, mounts, and pets, the Battlefield: Barrens and Timeless Isle BoE/BoA gear, the buffed drop rates each patch for all of the Legendary quest items, the addition of LFR (technically that was last expansion, but MoP was the only xpac to have it at launch), etc., leveling and gearing alts has never been so easy. That's been my experience anyway.
    the vast majority of that was added in patches

10+ Year Old Account
    Primal Nether, Nether Vortex, (Sunmote and Heart of Darkness were BoE, but the recipes, or most of them, were BoP recipes from raids), Frozen Orbs etc etc

There have always been required items unobtainable to players not level capped.

Why in the blue hell would Blizzard try to stop supporting alts, which basically double the playtime of and commitment to their game?

It wasn't an intention, it was a consequence of too many dailies. The first couple patches of MoP made it difficult to maintain an alt, but they more than made up for that with turning every part of Timeless Isle into a piñata that explodes epics.