Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    I can't believe that in all this ridiculous anti-alt BS, people forgot that this was also the expansion that let you share all your mounts and pets across alts.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

As a general rule of thumb, and post with a subject line that includes "simple as that", "case closed", or "you can't deny it" is either

1. A troll post
    2. A misguided, poorly conceived, rambling and subjective complaint whining about some aspect of the game that isn't exactly as the OP wants it
    3. Both 1 and 2

This particular thread? Hmmm, I'd put it at about 15% #1 and 80% #2, with simple boredom as the remaining 5%.

Deleted
    It's a LEGENDARY quest chain, did you see every alt with Shadowmourne during WOTLK? I don't think so. I see WAY too much people with the legendary cloak in MoP, I can't even call it a legendary, I simply call it a superior epic cape...
    Not every alt is supposed to have the legendary/legendary quest, is it so hard to understand that there has to be one thing just for mains? Not everything has to be accountbound.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree on some level, the lack of 5-man dungeons really killed the replayability for me. I honestly have much more fun doing challenging 5-mans then raiding. I got sick of raiding after Wotlk, not enough reward for the time spent and dedication. I think Cataclysm during 4.3 had much better end game then this expansion in terms of gearing. One thing I do like about MoP is the domination offensive type of dailies. Those where some of the best dailies I've done in WoW and actually reminded me of the BC dailies.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

The distinction your initial post seems to lack is there is a difference between "alts" and "a stable of profession-only alts that exist solely to make me ass-loads of gold". Yes, you have to actually play on the character you want to get the recipes on. Oh the fucking horror. There are xp buffs galore, various items that help level alts, the xp nerf, account-wide achievements, account-wide pets, account-wide mounts, and Timeless Isle which makes gearing alts laughable at best.

So no, clearly they didn't try to kill alts. But yes, they went for the throat of profession-only alts. It kicked me in the balls too, but I think it's a good change. You want recipes on one character, you fucking well play that character. Makes it much, much harder for one person to corner all the markets. It's a bitch for gemming and enchanting your toons if your main is neither a jewelcrafter nor an enchanter, but hey, that's what guilds are for and there is an AH.
    Last edited by Ranganathan; 2013-10-03 at 04:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    WoW would be a great game if it weren't an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by FLstudioApprentice View Post
    It's a LEGENDARY quest chain, did you see every alt with Shadowmourne during WOTLK? I don't think so. I see WAY too much people with the legendary cloak in MoP, I can't even call it a legendary, I simply call it a superior epic cape...
    Not every alt is supposed to have the legendary/legendary quest, is it so hard to understand that there has to be one thing just for mains? Not everything has to be accountbound.
    That's the problem with people these days. Everyone bitching about how Blizz is catering WoW to the casuals then they're bitching about how all their shit they want isnt account bound but on a per character basis. Cant make up their mind at all. Which brings me back to what I said at post #140.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

I've had two characters since BC. In BC, it took a while to gear up my alt. In WotLK it was a lot easier. In Cata, it was super easy. In MoP, it was a bit harder, but... my alt had a nearly 540 item level when 5.4 launched (and was waiting for 5.4 to finish off the last part of the legendary).

Yeah, if you've got a bunch of alts, I can see how MoP might be a bit tough for you. If, like me, you have one alt, MoP is 100% alt friendly.

Let's be honest: If you're having difficulty gearing out your alts, you have too many of them. Pick one or two of them and work on them. If you don't have the time to raid on all of your alts, then they clearly don't need the same level of gear. You're spreading yourself too thin.

If you're worried about profession alts, then get them enough gear to farm Spirits and then you're set. Profession alts don't need raid gear. Hell, just drag your profession alt out to the ToT isle and get your keys every week, do a chest run and you'll be loaded on spirits. Need rep? Select the rep and run a heroic every day... maybe do a few dailies. You'll get your rep in no time.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2013-10-03 at 04:57 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

At first yeah it was super alt un-friendly, but now with the Timeless Isle it's super friendly and awesome, You can get like ilvl 500 in one day! Then run the new LFR use coin rolls, and it's easy epics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    Prior to pandas you could have a crafter on the auction house that only had to level up to 85 (or even 80) and then level the professions only. Now you had to go around collecting soulbound items. This destroyed the possibility of running a gold making operation with only one main going around raiding and actually playing the world, unless you are completely lifeless and play more than 20 hours a day, which is practically impossible.
    this is true, and the implementation of soulbound mats was probably a good thing for these reasons, but always there are unintended consequences

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Quote Originally Posted by dalch View Post
    Yeah, I mean, it's pretty hard to gear an alt nowadays.
    I wish I could just get epic items by running around.
    this expanstion not just 5.4
    but from 5.0 to 5.4 ( only 5.4 is alt friendly)

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    this is true, and the implementation of soulbound mats was probably a good thing for these reasons, but always there are unintended consequences
    FemaleGoblinMage is completely ignoring the fact that you can get loads of Spirits just by running the Treasure Scenario once or twice a week (depending on how many keys you manage to get). Also ignoring the fact that it's easy for a 463 gear alt to AOE farm motes. Soulbound mats are only a problem if you aren't willing to put a minor bit of effort in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by greeeed View Post
    this expanstion not just 5.4
    but from 5.0 to 5.4 ( only 5.4 is alt friendly)
    I don't know, I managed to get my alt almost as geared as my main in 5.2 and 5.3 just fine. 5.1 wasn't a problem, either. Then again, I'm not splitting my time between 3 to 10 different alts.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    if your alt still needs the lower crafting items that need spirits. you are more casual than LFR casuals. maybe this game isnt for you?

MOP definitely felt unfriendly to alts - not so much the legendary cloak, but really it was the dailies and their reputation gates on VP gear. Now that we're at the last patch of this expansion, they seem to have thrown us altoholics a bone with the items from the timeless isle, which is nice. As someone who had two "mains" who raided heroic modes during Cata though, MOP would have been really terrible for me if one of my two Cata guilds hadn't died just before MOP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I've done exactly that three times. Twice in ToT and once in SoO. It is REALLY fast. You will progress through the first phase in like 1-2 weeks, then 3 weeks for the 3000 VP, then the ToT tokens are maybe another 4 weeks? So like 8ish weeks assuming you start completely from scratch on a brand new 90? And all you need to do is queue for the old LFRs that you would be doing anyway. It really couldn't be easier without being tied in a ribbon and mailed to you.

If you want to start a brand new alt and immediately have a legendary, well no, you have to progress in this game.
    I started playing my Shaman again about 6 weeks ago. I was almost done with the 3k VP part when I stopped playing it, so I finished that part the first week back. 6 weeks later, I'm about halfway done with Secrets of the Empire. So assume another 2 weeks on those, then 4-6 weeks on Runestones. That's 3-4 months to get items which are pretty much mandatory for serious raiding, and I even got to skip at least a month of farming because I had progressed a bit on it already. That is not acceptable. It would be fine if legendaries were optional, but they are not.

I really like the idea of an expansion-long character progression working towards awesome things... but you need catch-up mechanics in place for alts and rerolls.

The catch-up mechanics have gradually become better, but it's still fairly abysmal. The Timeless Isle is the only good option that comes to mind, perhaps the reaaaaaaaaaaaally low droprates on the boa weapons too. Flex droprates are fairly solid for alts (new or otherwise). Capping VP feels like a job, and we can't forget the early "gating" of gear through rep. I have 4 capes and that felt like a real nuisance.
    Stay salty my friends.

It was unintentional. The new patch has fixed all of that, with timeless isle and other changes.

Deleted
    I don't know about now, but patch 5.0 (and patch 5.1?) were absolutely dreadfully gated behind everything that wasn't proper raiding, hence I eventually couldn't even be bothered playing my main, and I just stuck to leveling my characters 85-90 (except for the single farm of heroic/normal bosses once a week).

Eventually I just quit.
    Start of MoP felt like a step back to Classic WoW except for being about max level and not about being about the leveling experience. Both Tbc, Wotlk and Cataclysm rewarded 5man dungeon content much more than MoP. MoP also lacked some sort of casual raiding mode setting at launch that both Tbc and Wotlk offered (10man in Wotlk, Karazhan in Tbc).