Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

I Want Your Vanilla WoW stories...

I'm gonna jump right in...

My very first character was a Dwarf Warrior named 'Lespaul'. I had just gotten done with questing in the dwarven starting zone and began my run through the tunnel and out the other side. Upon editing the tunnel I got my first glimpse of the world. It was huge, and massive. Anything could happen. A lawless tundra. A fresh level 5 stood a very little chance. I felt alone. I continued walking down the path and I come upon 3 dwarves shooting a cannon at a target dummy. I stopped in my tracks and watched the trio reset, fire, check where the shell landed, reset, fire, etc. For nearly twenty minutes. I was baffled by how 'realistic' the world (of Warcraft) was.

Vanilla stories are my favorite. When the game was fresh and we didn't have an lfd tool socially numbing our experiences. Please, tell me your vanilla stories. Could be something that really solidified your devotion to wow or maybe that 40 gold bow on the ah all your friends chipped in to help you buy. Or that crazy raid leader who would fart into his microphone for all 80 ears to endure.

-Karben

I remember my first SFK run. Three warriors, one mage and a warlock. After few wipes, we were past the upper outer part of the dungeon, and wiped twice in the room with few bats and a worgen boss. Then someone said: we need a tank and a healer for this. And I said: we need what?

I can detect this thread will derail VERY quickly, but I started playing in BC. Here goes: My first character was a Human Paladin named Minrarth, when I first got in the game I was so confused. I kept spamming auto attack thinking it was making me attack faster (This went on till like level 18 when I was told it didn't). But, a year before WOTLK came out I had dinged 70, but I got bored very quickly, cause after that long and mind numbing grind I didn't want to level an alt so I just cancelled my sub till next xpac. This xpac surprisingly has kept me from cancelling it so far. I usually cancel it halfway though an expansion but not this time around. The lore is breath taking and the destruction of vale of eternal blossoms was done amazingly well, we had bonded with this beautiful zone for a long time when it's suddenly sundered. But, even that aside... the raid fights are fun, flex was introduced and it's amazing. LFR is... eh (I love LFR, but the state of it atm needs to be fixed). The Timeless Isle is amazingly fun, the legendary questline is an amazing idea, This expac feels like it has had more content than any other, correct me if I'm wrong though. Anyways, i'm derailing when it comes to this post so i'll just stop here.
    Last edited by MinTDH; 2013-10-03 at 06:13 AM.

Deleted
    on my first warlock I decided to go exploring at around level 15 walking through duskwood being enthralled by how cool it looked, and how scary it was as the mobs would chase me. Eventually I came to a Fork in the road and decided to to take a right hand turn and ended up in a Jungle! After about 20 mins and many deaths thought it might be a good idea to head back to a more safe area. Unfortunately not knowing what the hearthstone did I deleted it so was stuck in the middle of STV on a low level character that had no way of getting back to Westfall >.< and so that was the end of Shelmoran, The brave little adventuring warlock that died to a monkey in the middle of the jungle at the age of 15, then got deleted.

10+ Year Old Account
    My favorite is being in Stormwind and having an NPC ask if I could spare some coin and chasing him all over getting annoyed that he wouldn't stop after asking so many times if I could spare some coin lol.

Another time I remember fondly is the guild I joined (after I learned wtf a guild even was lol) decided to take us lowbies around in a huge group to get flight paths, I was floored as we went around Burning Steppes and getting into a pvp fest (poor level 60's getting dishonorable kills protecting us) at Arathi Highlands.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

10+ Year Old Account
    Running WC at lvl 22... never again. I'm glad they cut that place in half.

My favourite were the Dire Maul king chest runs. Back in those days you had to actually be well prepared. You needed an engineer to set up that trap, you needed a rogue with high enugh lockpicking to open the doors, a tailor to make the ogre suit and you needed lots of coordination to sneak past all those guards. That was a lot of fun
    Ecce homo ergo elk

I loved getting a group together to run some SM and we'd all meat up at Ironforge and ride (or walk back then) over together. Crossing that big lake next to Undercity and crossing into Tirisfal knowing we were now into Horde territory. We'd stay off the roads and try to be all sneaky about it. Finally we would make it to the summoning stone where there was always 1 or 2 other groups who were fighting it out for control of the stone. It wasn't just hit a button and join the dungeon, you had to find a group then manage to get there which was never easy, then finally you would have to do the dungeon which isn't the braindead cakewalk dungeons of today. It was an actual adventure and made WoW an amazing game to play.
    Last edited by Solidsteel; 2013-10-03 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidsteel View Post
    I loved getting a group together to run some SM and we'd all meat up at Ironforge and ride (or walk back then) over together. Crossing that big lake next to Undercity and crossing into Tirisfal knowing we were now into Horde territory. We'd stay off the roads and try to be all sneaky about it. Finally we would make it to the summoning stone where there was always 1 or 2 other groups who were fighting it out for control of the stone. It wasn't just hit a button and join the dungeon, you had to find a group then manage to get there which was never easy, then finally you would have to do the dungeon which isn't the braindead cakewalk dungeons of today. It was an actual adventure and made WoW an amazing game to play.
    Too true my man. I remember getting to SM was such a pain. But that quest to clear all the bosses gave you those blue weapons. So sick. The game has been dumbed down so hard. I am just chasing that dragon whenever I play now and usually end up logging out after running around in sw for twenty minutes.

Little 10 year old me was a hardcore gamer back in the day. Played Broodwar, Warcraft 3, even touched on DotA a bit. Of course when I got the new Warcraft game I would clearly destroy everybody. Well not really, but I did eventually hit 60 on a warrior. My uncle being the boss he was brought me along with him to a raid. He set up my talents for me because I was an idiot and thought I could play fury, so he set up a prot spec for me and said "You see that guy over there? Just run over to him and keep using Sunder Armor." And thus my first experience with tanking.

Hopefully managing to get a level a day during school holidays.

AQ event

World pvp!

God I miss those days, I wish I'd backed up my screenshots etc

Makes me sad all those people aren't really part of my life anymore but hey-ho.

My best memory must be when I joined a great social guild who did some raiding.
    The first run in Zul'Gurub (just after I joined the guild) I got to tank. Was scared s**tless. Afterwards, the warrior who
    taught me how to tank said "Well gratz. You are now MT of this guild".

Deleted
    Similar to Advertise's post, my best Vanilla story is not particularly eventful to most people but sticks in my mind.

There I was, a level 60 for a grand total of two weeks, offtanking in ZG with The Immovable Object and The Lobotomizer (some classy tanking equipment right there), when a rush of exploding bats kills half the raid - causing the MT to ragequit. Went on to MT for that group through the rest of ZG, and through AQ20 too.

To this day, I can't bring myself to get rid of either of those items, and any time I want to get under the old tank's skin all it takes is the mere mention of bats xD

The first time I cross from Eastern kingdoms to Kalimdor for warlock mount chain quest. What an expirence that was. Walking trough Night elfs woods and hearing that music for the first time. I was hypnotized. Then entering the Horde territory (Barrens) for the first time and seeing one Tauren questing. We looked each other for a minute or two, and then all hell broke lose. We killed each other for about 1 hour, and then more cows come in his aid and chased me trough Barrens. I managed to hide in some goblin house and they lost me. I was like HA HA stupid cows. Later that night I returned to Stormwind and it felt so good to be home again. Ahhhh the good old times.

Also I remember my first Deadmine run. I looted some chest on the ground and everyone started yelling on me NOOB NOOB and kick me out of the grp. So I called my friend on the phone and ask him what does NOOB mean. He played Vanila right from lunch and i joind after 2-3 months so i tought he would know. Did someone called you a noob he said. YES everyone is calling me a noob man. That’s because you are.

I didnt know I had talents until I was level 26 and was using two green daggers some a kind sir who crafted them in redwood

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karben View Post
    I'm gonna jump right in...

My very first character was a Dwarf Warrior named 'Lespaul'. I had just gotten done with questing in the dwarven starting zone and began my run through the tunnel and out the other side. Upon editing the tunnel I got my first glimpse of the world. It was huge, and massive. Anything could happen. A lawless tundra. A fresh level 5 stood a very little chance. I felt alone. I continued walking down the path and I come upon 3 dwarves shooting a cannon at a target dummy. I stopped in my tracks and watched the trio reset, fire, check where the shell landed, reset, fire, etc. For nearly twenty minutes. I was baffled by how 'realistic' the world (of Warcraft) was.

Vanilla stories are my favorite. When the game was fresh and we didn't have an lfd tool socially numbing our experiences. Please, tell me your vanilla stories. Could be something that really solidified your devotion to wow or maybe that 40 gold bow on the ah all your friends chipped in to help you buy. Or that crazy raid leader who would fart into his microphone for all 80 ears to endure.

-Karben
    Believe me or not my story is almost as yours, i was a dwarf hunter, didn't finished my quests and only at lvl 3 started wondering around the world, after getting out of the tunnel a bear starting chasing me and alomst killed me, i was like "man this world is dangerous", after that i found out that hunters can have pets at lvl 10, well started wondering around kharanos zone just killing random mobs and discovering the zone, at lvl 10 after finishing my quests i got my pet and decided my new task will be to go to the other continent (kalimdor) also i didn't knew where to go but i knew there will be ships and i need to get closer to the sea it was the best day i ever had in wow.
    LE: that happened in 2.1.3 tbc, because that's when i started playing.

15+ Year Old Account
    PvE:
    Doing Blackwing Lair when it was still progression, hunter dropped a target dummy in the whelp room for giggles.

Deadly Boss Mods shit itself and suddenly we were fighting Firemaw, Ebonroc, Flamegor, Chromaggus and all the trash in between.

We put up a valiant effort for all of 60 seconds before we all died.

PvP:
    Beating 4 rogues at once with sword/shield and Reckoning.

Getting trolled hard by a shaman using Water Walking and Frost Shock to kite me.
    Last edited by Hottage; 2013-10-03 at 08:39 AM.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    Well, it was my brother actually. With his first char he was very careful, he hugged the wall whenever he could. By some miracle he managed to get over the mountains in to Ungorocrater, and could not figure out how to come back.
    Then there was my bro sis and I asking ourselves when the warlock would get slowfall, as me on my mage got it, and my sister priest got it as well.
    Then there was me rolling on a RP server, and didnt know what RP was, when some dude started talking to me i was like, WTF are you talking about??? After a while of trying to communicate the guy told me i must be the worst PR'er he'd ever seen. When i asked him what the hell RP was, he finally got i was just another noob xD (he did explain it tho!

10+ Year Old Account
    SM runs, lv 30-40something were some of the best times of my WoW life. You had STV and SM (four wings but nobody really did GY too often though it still happened), those two things right there were just amazing parts of WoW. When I hit level 51 I was all hyped about trying AV and boy was I happy once I got in, I'd never played anything like it before and still haven't since, Old AV that is. Remember that I used to run the shit out of Scholomance and BRD, speaking of which I really enjoyed a lot of the instances offered 50-60. They were all relatively decent unlike the 40-50 area, I wasn't too big of a fan of those ones such as Maraudon. To be fair 40-50 did kind of suck balls.

I remember myself getting bored with the game around 20-30 as well, I vividly remember I was level 28 for the longest time because I was starting to get bored of Ashenvale and then I finally hit Gnomeregan and unlike most people, I fucking loved that instance. I remember small parts of 10-20, it was solid for the most part, Deadmines, RFC (was kind of boring but was the first instance I tried), and Wailing Caverns if I remember fully. I think the parts that bummed me out were 20-30 and 40-50 areas. They just seemed desolate and the content wasn't there as much to me personally though there was a lot of content regardless. Hitting 60 was the greatest feeling I've had in WoW if not one of the greatest feelings in my years of playing video games as a whole. I was in Scholomance in the room before Rattlegore's minions, not Rattlegore's basement but above it and in the room next to that room.

DING MOTHERFUCKERS I JUST HIT 60! I also had very bad RNG in that instance but loved that instance nonetheless. To finally add on, level 60 content was good, UBRS, BRD (that place was huge, certain parts had higher level mobs), Stratholme, LBRS, Scholomance, and Dire Maul. Many of which were so huge that different parts of them were classified as such, Scarlet wing of Strat and Undead Wing of Strat. Technically UBRS and LBRS are the same instance but UBRS you ran with a 10 man group unlike LBRS which was 5 man. BRD was huge on an astronomical level for a 5 man, literally was as big as a raid.
    Last edited by Duronos; 2013-10-03 at 08:37 AM.
    Hey everyone

I spent all my money buying white items from BS vendor in Goldshire.